TTY: Full List of Dates Played To Promote 'World Peace is None of Your Business'; Lady Penelope art

Note: May / June 2014 US dates were not included for some reason.

Full List of Dates Played To Promote 'World Peace is None of Your Business'
- true-to-you.net
4 January 2016

6 October 2014, Coliseum, Lisbon, Portugal
2 January 2016, The Joint, Las Vegas, NV, USA
(Click link for full list)

lady_penelope.jpg

Lady Penelope artwork by Sam Esty Rayner

Last edited:
Yes, many people on the business end of entertainment can be inept. Yes, artists can be dicked over, and when they have "a vision" as you put it that they do not want to compromise, problems arise. Morrissey is not unique in this regard. Where he differs is in the frequency of major fallout. I agree that Morrissey shouldn't shoulder all of the blame for every record deal and professional relationship gone sour, but if someone has a recurring problem for over 30 years and consistently blames other people for that problem when they themselves are the only constant, it starts to raise suspicions.

What I find curious, which goes hand in hand with the paradox pointed out by Anaesthesine, is that given the decline of the major label system, an artist like Morrissey, who frequently complains of being held back by the incompetence within said system, should be rejoicing with the knowledge that he now has the potential for more freedom, more control of his artistic vision than ever before via other avenues, and yet he refuses to move forward with releasing music without a label. There often comes a time when artists who have been burned too many times take the chance to move away from a major label, or labels altogether, when presented with that opportunity. Morrissey could do this with minimal risk, and yet elects to remain beholden to the people he repeatedly deems obstacles in his way when he doesn't need to be. This doesn't make much sense, but then, Morrissey is a man of contradictions.

These two paragraphs very succinctly sum up my growing frustration with his frequent complaints about the music industry for the better part of the last decade or so. If he really wants to get any new songs out there, stop being so precious about it, forego the red carpet treatment and make it happen. One of his band members has a recording studio, for crying out loud. Clearly, he is not as concerned as he would have us believe; as you pointed out, there are ways to approach it that could be very profitable for him.

My condolences on how Bowie's passing has affected you. I am similarly at loose ends today.

These two paragraphs very succinctly sum up my growing frustration with his frequent complaints about the music industry for the better part of the last decade or so. If he really wants to get any new songs out there, stop being so precious about it, forego the red carpet treatment and make it happen. One of his band members has a recording studio, for crying out loud. Clearly, he is not as concerned as he would have us believe; as you pointed out, there are ways to approach it that could be very profitable for him.

My condolences on how Bowie's passing has affected you. I am similarly at loose ends today.

Apparently you're not enough at loose ends because you have the time to comment again on the above. Who do you think reads this? M? Certainly not. If he wants to comlain then let him complain, for f***'s sake. Constant complaining of how M is handling his career is equally frustrating as M himself.

Apparently you're not enough at loose ends because you have the time to comment again on the above. Who do you think reads this? M? Certainly not. If he wants to comlain then let him complain, for f***'s sake. Constant complaining of how M is handling his career is equally frustrating as M himself.

thats for sure. i think people also forget that its his experience as well and he seems one to appreciate the doing just as much as the result. he isnt making albums for other people and he isnt doing it to even communicate to others i dont believe, hes doing it because he likes it and the experience of doing it, the fun and the fantasy. for the person making the records its not all about the product, thats for fans to care more about. for the artist sometimes its openly the making thats pleasurable. sometimes even more pleasurable than feeling content with the album you made

You are a fool if you think Morrissey does not read and comment on this website.

I don't care if he reads it or not. It's a fan forum, where views both pro and con can be exchanged - and a reasonable point has been made, which I commented on. I equally don't care if you read it or not - or, frankly, if it frustrates you. I continue to buy Morrissey's albums and attend his concerts so my opinion - or Detritus's, or anyone likeminded - is just as valid as the vocal minority here who think absolutely nothing's wrong with the current arc of his career and/or art. If my posts rankle you to profanity, just ignore me. If you bothered to sign in with a simple pseudonym (which seems to be terribly difficult for so many), I'd happily put you on Ignore if I felt so passionately opposed - and you could do the same to me. It's pretty simple. I've been posting on Morrissey-solo since 1997 - I'm not going to be cowed into silence because someone doesn't share my view. You're just as unlikely to end the ongoing discussion by making hyperbolic statements like the one you made above.

I don't care if he reads it or not. It's a fan forum, where views both pro and con can be exchanged - and a reasonable point has been made, which I commented on. I equally don't care if you read it or not - or, frankly, if it frustrates you. I continue to buy Morrissey's albums and attend his concerts so my opinion - or Detritus's, or anyone likeminded - is just as valid as the vocal minority here who think absolutely nothing's wrong with the current arc of his career and/or art. If my posts rankle you to profanity, just ignore me. If you bothered to sign in with a simple pseudonym (which seems to be terribly difficult for so many), I'd happily put you on Ignore if I felt so passionately opposed - and you could do the same to me. It's pretty simple. I've been posting on Morrissey-solo since 1997 - I'm not going to be cowed into silence because someone doesn't share my view. You're just as unlikely to end the ongoing discussion by making hyperbolic statements like the one you made above.

Well put Jamie. I have been following this discussion and it might be as you and Detritus describe that in part it is his either unwillingness or inability to follow the edicts of a record label that continue to create stumbling blocks in his pursuit to issue new music. And the idea that he self-release his own music makes perfect sense on the surface, but I keep getting drawn to the famous words of his youth:

I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now

After realizing that the working life was not for him, Moz entered The Smith's by invitation and would so-called "work" on things that interested him. Sleeve design, artwork, etc., but not the nuts and bolts of running the band, which is where the real work lies. He left that to others in large part. Moz is not the do-it-yourself type because he has never been the type to take the initiative.

It is far easier to leave the details to others and then pick away at the things you dislike rather than standing up, rolling up your sleeves and getting to it yourself. He has even left his own website up to others (Julia, Sam, who knows who else) to run because as the English say "he can't be arsed to do it himself." I'm not saying I blame him for it either. I bought a house earlier in my life and when I realized how much work was involved in landscaping and keeping the yard up...well, safe to say I am a condo owner now and loving it. I just don't think Moz has enough of the right people in place to replace what he has become accustomed to a record company providing.

You are a fool if you think Morrissey does not read and comment on this website.

There's clear evidence that he has read it but comment? Benny?

Well put Jamie. I have been following this discussion and it might be as you and Detritus describe that in part it is his either unwillingness or inability to follow the edicts of a record label that continue to create stumbling blocks in his pursuit to issue new music. And the idea that he self-release his own music makes perfect sense on the surface, but I keep getting drawn to the famous words of his youth:

I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now

After realizing that the working life was not for him, Moz entered The Smith's by invitation and would so-called "work" on things that interested him. Sleeve design, artwork, etc., but not the nuts and bolts of running the band, which is where the real work lies. He left that to others in large part. Moz is not the do-it-yourself type because he has never been the type to take the initiative.

It is far easier to leave the details to others and then pick away at the things you dislike rather than standing up, rolling up your sleeves and getting to it yourself. He has even left his own website up to others (Julia, Sam, who knows who else) to run because as the English say "he can't be arsed to do it himself." I'm not saying I blame him for it either. I bought a house earlier in my life and when I realized how much work was involved in landscaping and keeping the yard up...well, safe to say I am a condo owner now and loving it. I just don't think Moz has enough of the right people in place to replace what he has become accustomed to a record company providing.

So what? He is clearly not business-oriented. Most artist's are not. They have the craft but don's know how to sell it. I don't blame him. ALso, some people don't give a crap whether they have a website or facebook profile. I don't have one and never will. He lets other people do it for him. That doesn't make him incapable. He just doesn't care about it.

So what? He is clearly not business-oriented. Most artist's are not. They have the craft but don's know how to sell it. I don't blame him. ALso, some people don't give a crap whether they have a website or facebook profile. I don't have one and never will. He lets other people do it for him. That doesn't make him incapable. He just doesn't care about it.

yeah same here. never had a facebook, never used twitter or care to. people probably kept bothering him about a website until he just said fine and did the least required to make that happen so people would stop bugging him about something he didnt care about. i for one really dont care one way or the other.

p.s. also dont care for hitchhikers guide

I am here sir and a Happy New Year to you as well. Sleeping is one of my favorite things to do. I quite look forward to it for it is where dreams are made. Sorry to read you are down in the dumps, but I see we have a mutual love for the "obscure". I was hooked when I first heard Pen and Notebook and then the Marr reference dropped in. Makes sense they would be The Smiths fans. I hope your spirits improve as I quite enjoy your feedback so to speak.

evennow

Joy to the world ! My first introduction to C O was 'teenager' .
Thankyou so much evennow ! The spirit and mind has been lifted, that's unbelievable.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

While all this is true (and well observed), there is another, very simple reason why Morrissey didn't "break through" in the early 1990s: he didn't show up.

I do so like your post: Morrissey was an entirely successful advocate for "alternate" gender identity at a time when such a concept was still dangerous. "Gender queer" wasn't a term heard outside college campuses and art collectives back then, but Morrissey brought it live, unapologetic and full-force. It was a beautiful, brave and necessary thing.

As much as I admire Morrissey, however, he should not be given full credit as a spurned outsider who was never given a chance to shine in the conservative, uptight media spotlight. That's a very romantic notion that suits his chosen narrative, but the truth is a bit more complicated. In the early '90s Morrissey's reps had meetings lined up with several serious journalists who would have featured him (or even put him on the covers of) the biggest music publications of the day (including Rolling Stone). When the time came, however, Morrissey vanished. The man burned a lot of bridges that weekend, and not all of them were his own.

This is not to say that Morrissey doesn't deserve full credit for being a remarkably talented, influential (and spectacularly beautiful) public figure. Had he managed to keep his promises and appointments he might have had a bit more mainstream success to show for it. Ultimately, it probably wouldn't have moved the needle that much. Fame on such a scale is brutal; in many ways he was wise to avoid it.

Thanks again for the insight - I read somewhere about his blowing off a People Magazine interview around that time (though it ultimately took place). I hadn’t realized that his blowing off of important PR events were a pattern at that point. So another piece of the puzzle falls into place for me -

I’m curious when you say that even if he had played the game, “it wouldn’t have moved the needle that much” in the direction of mainstream success. Is it primarily because of the “alternate gender identity” aspect of his persona? I ask this because Bowie (may he RIP) played that role as well but it didn’t seem to hinder his career.

Fascinating, how Morrissey is possessed of such keen self-awareness (enough to know that he's a master of self-sabotage), and yet he continuously blames everyone else for his lack of mainstream success. He is the king of cognitive dissonance.

I kind of feel that his novel embodies this too — compare the astute and succinct passage about his inability to attend the Southpaw Grammar record launch with the craptacular mess that is List of the Lost- it's hard to believe they were written by the same person.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom