TTY: Death is not the final word - Morrissey statement on TOMITA

Death is not the final word - true-to-you.net
20 December 2016

... for there are some people who are lucky enough to leave such a powerful mark on life that not even death can wipe them out. In this Year Of Death ... from Richard Davalos to Frank Finlay to Prince to my very dear friend Victoria Wood ... I struggled most of all with the death of TOMITA, whose Snowflakes are dancing (RCA) I have listened to constantly for 40 years, especially on hard days of self-judgment. It is a recording that you can listen to repeatedly until you hear nothing else. All you need to do is to keep quiet. In a few minutes all the right answers come through and you will find that there had never been any reason, after all, to feel angry.

39497_unknown_1_2.jpg

If you do not know this recording, I envy your first listen. Track 5 especially will stay with you for always, as the best music does ... never outside time. It might take you back to the lost years of personal honesty in music, when artists gave everything that they had and everything that they were.

MORRISSEY
20 December 2016.

So the guy who hated synths enough to forbid Johnny to play them while in The Smiths (which led to Johnny going to Electronic), and the guy who was all over the music press in the 80s saying how much he hated New Wave and Synthpop, because you can only achieve real feeling out of real instruments, now says one of his favorite artists of all time was a hack, who only used the corniest synth sounds he could find, and who only played covers and wrote no songs of his own...makes totally sense.

So the guy who hated synths enough to forbid Johnny to play them while in The Smiths (which led to Johnny going to Electronic), and the guy who was all over the music press in the 80s saying how much he hated New Wave and Synthpop, because you can only achieve real feeling out of real instruments, now says one of his favorite artists of all time was a hack, who only used the corniest synth sounds he could find, and who only played covers and wrote no songs of his own...makes totally sense.

NO.
M dislike the common synthetic kind of confectionery:

On the other hand, like to think M adored, for example, this Synthpop song (best thing JM done post-split):

Last edited:

But there are keyboards on smiths albums

Good to see a post of his again about his love for music, even if it is lost on my ears in this particular case. (I like a lot of synthesizer stuff but this is too proggy for me.) His words speak tons about the healing power of music and it's good to see his palette is broader than just Bowie/Ramones/girl groups (as if we didn't know.)

Last edited:
Nice post. I sometimes find it strange that people in general only seem to care about death when its someone they know or know about. Nobody mentions the slaughtered children in Aleppo or the fact the UN stand by and do nothing apart from having useless meetings. Prince dying was a tragedy but its nothing compared to what happens to innocent kids every day.

Fortunately since the Russians decided to get involved a shaky peace has finally descended upon Aleppo. Until then Obama and the west had been content to arm terrorists just enough to maintain a stand off between the combatants.

Astonishingly, faced with a choice between bad (Assad) and worse (a ragtag of several dozen psychopathic terror groups) Washington and its allies still managed to back the wrong side.

In other news... Tomita? Morrissey is beyond parody.

Well I've been so down in the dumps lately because one of my neighbors friends, cactus plant died last week ( the funeral was yesterday :( )

Thanks to you marred-arse-botty-bot I'm as chipper as ever now :rofl:
If Steven said he liked dog shit you'd be the first out on the streets collecting the stuff, no doubt about it:clap:.

Thanks once again :laughing:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife::christmastree:

Congratulations...you have bored me to the point where I can no longer type...

Always great to be turned on to new music, especially from an artist like Mr. M. The search for music hasn't felt this good since the day I came across finding Hatful of Hollow in the record store, took a chance, bought it and my world was never the same since then! Merry Christmas and thank you.

Nice post. I sometimes find it strange that people in general only seem to care about death when its someone they know or know about. Nobody mentions the slaughtered children in Aleppo or the fact the UN stand by and do nothing apart from having useless meetings. Prince dying was a tragedy but its nothing compared to what happens to innocent kids every day.
Yes, Acton, you are so right. Wish more people had the capacity to feel something for the unfortunate.

Sadly I can offer no apology for my comments Rifke :(.
I've known Steven for many many years now. You need to understand that he will have thought this statement through knowing full well how it will come across regarding David's passing earlier this year.
It's a very cold, calculated low blow move, trust me.

True to you Rifke but most of all true to myself. I have nothing but love however I will not stand by and let Steven get away with such oozing boil puss behaviour.

I hope you understand.

P.S. Tomatoehead/40 years is a massive porky pie.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife::christmastree:

How do you know him?

Wow.....I listened to that song and remember hearing it on this "show".....astronomy guy from PBS in the 80s/90s! :20 in....

A cover of Moonlight on the Minimoog? A futuristic take then, like that time when Sam It's A Reindeer stuck a "MILK ME!!!" tattoo on a Vermeer? Tempting but...Too much cultural excitement for my brain I'm afraid. It's all very well for highly educated Manchester Modernists, but surely Morrissey realizes that parts of the world are a country mile behind his, and just not ready yet?
But go ahead and enjoy, by all means.

As for reasons to be angry, well, I'd say, there are quite a few, and not the kind that might be washed away by Tomato's soup (which must be lovely, I insist; so sad I can't listen to it. That makes Gustavo sad, too).

Of course reasons to be angry are not easy to find when one is a pampered smug twat pretending to spread the music of peace and enlightenment when all one really does is piss on great artists and great art, and other things, in passing...Still, they're there...the reasons...

Bye now, I'm off to listen to Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons' cover of Hallelujah. Beautiful. Moving. Timeless. Perfect for Christmas.

And I just love the donkey at the end!

Am I the only one who thought that was Mr. Spock (with human ears) on the cover at first glance? :D

But seriously, it turns out Moz added Tomita to the pre-show video in Jakarta earlier this fall.

Am I the only one who thought that was Mr. Spock (with human ears) on the cover at first glance? :D

But seriously, it turns out Moz added Tomita to the pre-show video in Jakarta earlier this fall.

Weird, i thought that was the subliminal message part of the show, I went vegan that night.

Do you serve drinks and snacks? Sounds like the place to be at. Morrissey and Kristeen live in concert!

Of course !
Yes we serve tea and coffee, but you can also sample our home made wine 2 ! :thumb:

Thinking of selling the wine 2 the public , but think we may need sum sort of "drinks licence " and there is an alcohol duty 2 be paid or sumthing..... havent a clue! but im sure there will be some sort of way 2 by pass this legal nonsence!!!!

Back
Top Bottom