True-to-you Morrissey Statement 29th July. Re: The Norway Massacre.

majic_johnson

Apologies if this has already been posted:

29 July 2011

MORRISSEY STATEMENT

The recent killings in Norway were horrific. As usual in such cases, the media give the killer exactly what he wants: worldwide fame. We aren't told the names of the people who were killed - almost as if they are not considered to be important enough, yet the media frenzy to turn the killer into a Jack The Ripper star is .... repulsive. He should be un-named, not photographed, and quietly led away.
The comment I made onstage at Warsaw could be further explained this way: Millions of beings are routinely murdered every single day in order to fund profits for McDonalds and KFCruelty, but because these murders are protected by laws, we are asked to feel indifferent about the killings, and to not even dare question them.
If you quite rightly feel horrified at the Norway killings, then it surely naturally follows that you feel horror at the murder of ANY innocent being. You cannot ignore animal suffering simply because animals "are not us."

The way some of the people are going on on here anyone would think it was Morrissey who'd killed those 97 innnocent people.

Boiling down his explanation thus:

"The Norway massacre was horrific, but human life and animal life are equatable, since both bio-organism types are "living beings" therefore outrage and injustice on a human level should be felt tenfold for the death of animals at the hands of the fastfood industry."

Right, Morrissey. We got it the first time: you're a twat with your values up your ass...or arse, whatever side of the pond your flirting with today.

Let's not forget to mourn the daily massacre of trees. Down with lumberjacks! Who are we to think we need wood to build homes at the expense of all those lives???

I thought his comment "spoke for itself," or whatever his spokesperson said. I'm actually more disappointed that he was jilted into releasing this statement than I was at the original comment of the massacre being "nothing."

I thought his comment "spoke for itself," or whatever his spokesperson said. I'm actually more disappointed that he was jilted into releasing this statement than I was at the original comment of the massacre being "nothing."

I don't see it as though he was jilted into this clarification...I'm sure he got wind of the controversy (which I'm sure he never anticipated to begin with and had nothing to do with making the comment in the first place) (yeah right) and then fashioned this little spin on his point of view...but this True To You fakery is just basically his way of repeating the original statement in a slightly more intellectual sounding way, so as to let us know it's still safe to buy his records and see his shows.

All very 'well' (not really). But there's no apology for the insensitive timing of the comment. And also he's wrong. The names of the victims have been/are being published. It just takes a while to identify them and notify the families before they're are officially named. And by comparing the Norwegian murderer (who shouldn't be named) to Jack The Ripper Morrissey actually manages to contradict the point he's trying to make about the how the murderer shouldn't be treated as anyone of any importance (btw, I agree with this point, but I don't think Morrissey is making it in a very clever way at all).

I'm quite positively sure that Morrissey isn't evil and that he's possibly affected by what happened in Norway (to the extent he is able to be affected by anything which I fear isn't much) but to make that comparison is still showing a lack of intelligence and a lack of feeling with the world around him. But I guess in Morrissey's mind he IS the world.

To repeat myself from an earlier post. If Morrissey compares the tragedy of the people killed in Norway to the tragedy of animals being slaughtered every day (and that IS a tragedy too) then he should also have compared the murder of his cousin that he mentioned at a concert a few years ago in the same manner. Until he does that, I can't really accept this vague 'explanation' from Morrissey. Not that he cares what I think of course.

I totally agree.

Perfect.

This could set a precedent. Can you release a statement about Madstock to clear up any ambiguities that still linger?

Well judged first paragraph above though, doubt any media outlets will pick up on it though. Perhaps we can have yet another Guardian blog on it? Again!

29 July 2011

MORRISSEY STATEMENT

If you quite rightly feel horrified at the Norway killings, then it surely naturally follows that you feel horror at the murder of ANY innocent being. You cannot ignore animal suffering simply because animals "are not us."

I can very easily distinguish between the two because "animals are NOT us."

Does this guy realize that half of his audience (I am guessing at least that or more) do not share his views on vegetarianism nor believe that animals are on the same level as humans?

sooo ridiculous...

Time to move on for now. I cannot wait to see the next "foot in mouth" thing he says. Instead of apologizing, he tries to justify. No wonder the music industry does not want to touch him. Is there anyone he hangs with that ever pulls this guy aside to keep him in check?

Boiling down his explanation thus:

"The Norway massacre was horrific, but human life and animal life are equatable, since both bio-organism types are "living beings" therefore outrage and injustice on a human level should be felt tenfold for the death of animals at the hands of the fastfood industry."

Right, Morrissey. We got it the first time: you're a twat with your values up your ass...or arse, whatever side of the pond your flirting with today.

Let's not forget to mourn the daily massacre of trees. Down with lumberjacks! Who are we to think we need wood to build homes at the expense of all those lives???

:rolleyes::angry:

oof. what sound logic. replace animals with blacks, jews, muslims, any group really. animals are NOT us? what sort of reason is that? get f***ed.

You can't "replace animals with blacks, jews, muslims, any group really"...those groups are all human. Animals, as far as I know, are not human, and that was Buzzetta's point.

But if Buzzetta's wrong...that means...say, are you equating blacks with animals? Oh for shame, bagface, for shame.

I can very easily distinguish between the two because "animals are NOT us."

Does this guy realize that half of his audience (I am guessing at least that or more) do not share his views on vegetarianism nor believe that animals are on the same level as humans?

sooo ridiculous...

Time to move on for now. I cannot wait to see the next "foot in mouth" thing he says. Instead of apologizing, he tries to justify. No wonder the music industry does not want to touch him. Is there anyone he hangs with that ever pulls this guy aside to keep him in check?

But he's not trying to pander to his audience.
He knows that not everyone is a vegetarian, but that's not going to stop him from campaigning his views.

Not everyone who listens to U2 will give money to charity, but that doesn't stop Bono from trying to save the world.
These people have a platform to give their views and they're going to use it. Fair play on them for facilitating their position to push something they believe in.
People who don't like it, I suggest an artist like Dido or something, people who don't have anything to say.

oof. what sound logic. replace animals with blacks, jews, muslims, any group really. animals are NOT us? what sort of reason is that? get f***ed.

Actually, there is logic behind that, one that I totally agree. But I'm too lazy to explain.

Animals are NOT humans - that is fact.

Here is another revelation for you in case you missed the memo...
Rocks are NOT crocodiles

Actually, there is logic behind that, one that I totally agree. But I'm too lazy to explain.
You and I have been down this road many times before. I too, am too lazy, to go over it again. As I said to someone yesterday... they can go through the archives. Hope all is well.

Back
Top Bottom