True/False: People who use online dating sites are not able to meet romantic partners in real life?

True/False: People who use online dating sites are not able to meet romantic partners in real life?

• true

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • false

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
Re: True/False: People who use online dating sites are not able to meet romantic partners in real li

I've never had trouble meeting romantic partners out in the non-internet wild, but I met my husband on a dating site (which I am pretty sure was real life) 13 years ago.

(This is the first time in my life I've used the phrase "romantic partners," though.)

Re: True/False: People who use online dating sites are not able to meet romantic partners in real li

It depends on the person. It's an impossible question to answer.

Assuming someone is able bodied, and able minded, there is no reason he/she should not be able to meet someone IRL. Dating sites are generally for people who are either losers (have attained no level of professional success) or are unattractive or both.

I am still gobsmacked that there are still people who seem to view online dating as something suspicious. It is as much a part of life as anything else that is also online. I think people who cannot meet someone online will struggle even more in real life so you could turn your question completely around. I have met people in real life and online and to meet someone online you have to meet them in real life so meeting online is in that sense no different to meeting someone in real life for the first time.

I would say that the difference between a first meeting in real life and one that starts online are not that big but the online meeting has the benefit that when you meet you have something to build on and you usually know a few things about each other. People that tend to struggle to meet someone will find it hard if they're online or out and about in real life looking for someone.

I know quite a few men that are in their 40's and still single and have not had much experience and what strikes me is that they have great careers and money in the bank and perfect homes that they own but for some weird reason they are still single and in hopeless search of someone. Maybe the mechanism behind this is the same as with bullying where the slightest thing that puts people off makes them a target to avoid or ridicule.

From experience I know that free dating sites are far better than the ones you pay money for cause I have not dealt with anyone who found love on a pay site but loads of people who met loads of people from free dating sites or plain sex websites. Often those people tend to stay on the website to keep in touch with the many wonderful people they got to know there.

I think we all worry too much about whether the internet is "real." It's as real as you make it—no different from being out on the street. And if you think the streets can't be anonymous, well…

And if you ever need self-validation
just meet me in the alley by the railway-station

Assuming someone is able bodied, and able minded, there is no reason he/she should not be able to meet someone IRL. Dating sites are generally for people who are either losers (have attained no level of professional success) or are unattractive or both.

Fascinating perspective.

Assuming someone is able bodied, and able minded, there is no reason he/she should not be able to meet someone on the internet. Bars and dinner parties are generally for people who are either losers (have attained no level of emotional intelligence) or are unattractive or both.

This question has been rattling off in my head since I read it earlier. I would like to make a few points.

It's about time, many don't have the time to put themselves in social situations with like minded people for the spark to ignite.

There is only room for one morrissey fan in the house.

Don't shit where you eat, avoid looking at work. If you have a unique or specific skill set that is base on a personality type there is only room for one of those in the house too.

So I guess, get out more doing what you love to do, or find them online.

It's about time, many don't have the time to put themselves in social situations with like minded people for the spark to ignite.

I personally prefer to meet people (friends included) online first because there's less room for bullshit when everyone is forced to use WORDS to communicate. I meet people offline all the time as well, of course, but the most lasting and mature, developed relationships? Without question they are the ones that were initially established online—or, going back further, through penpal letter-writing.

There is only room for one morrissey fan in the house.

Don't shit where you eat, avoid looking at work. If you have a unique or specific skill set that is base on a personality type there is only room for one of those in the house too.

I strongly disagree with both of these statements, but that's just my own experience. I could not EVER be with someone who is not a Morrissey fan and who does not have a passion for art and design.

Everyone is different, though, which is why advice never works when it comes to relationships.

I strongly disagree with both of these statements, but that's just my own experience. I could not EVER be with someone who is not a Morrissey fan and who does not have a passion for art and design.

I am very cool with that. You have made a powerful affirmative statement, as I did. There is not a right and wrong, it is about knowing what you want and not accepting less. So whether you met online or in person, as long as you are clear in what type of person you want in your life, you're gold.

Personally, I value the separation I have with my career when it comes to my wife and my kids. It frees me to be creative individually at work and makes me explore more life topics with my wife. It has proven to be a positive thing for me which in turn makes it positive for my family. Now of course, my wife and I like things as a couple. Those things are just not based on music or work. Yes we are all different here.

I hear 321sexchat is a lovely place to meet that special someone. :p

well, here in China its different for foreigners of course, the younger guys all use this app where they seem to almost immeadiately hook up with these young beautiful Chinese girls :horny:
no, I should not act like envy them that much, been there, done that, in my own way, if you know what I mean :o
and the way these things work is mainly on appearance, which well, is not my strong suit, I am old, ugly and fat, especially in photos :eek:
these are 3 no-nos, especially here in China with the girls that use these apps and well, you have a recipe for rejection for a guy like me who gets by on my personal charm if you can believe it :rolleyes: a bit of guile and speaking some Chinese :thumb:
so yeah, no online hook-ups for me
especially since when looking now, I am looking for what seems to be that most elusive of creatures here, an available 30 something woman, a "Chinese milf" if you will :blushing:
and I don't think you meet these online, but hey, what do I know, I stlll am new to this whole smart phone thing :brows::p

Last edited:

i notice that no one has mentioned time. in a professional career many dont have the time to go out and try to meet people. same with single parents. these people use this stuff to make up for the lost time

The people I know who use online dating sites--myself included--use them as just another tool for meeting others. They also date people they meet IRL. Online dating puts you in touch with those you would otherwise never have the opportunity to meet IRL. So it broadens your horizons and gives you more choices. Makes your world smaller. Also, all the men I have met on online dating sites are no different from the men I meet when out and about IRL. In fact, I have run into three men, that I have chatted with online, IRL in just this last month. Normal people just like you and me. Don't limit your options. Nothing creepy or desperate about online dating. It is perfectly respectable and safe these days.

The people I know who use online dating sites--myself included--use them as just another tool for meeting others. They also date people they meet IRL. Online dating puts you in touch with those you would otherwise never have the opportunity to meet IRL. So it broadens your horizons and gives you more choices. Makes your world smaller. Also, all the men I have met on online dating sites are no different from the men I meet when out and about IRL. In fact, I have run into three men, that I have chatted with online, IRL in just this last month. Normal people just like you and me. Don't limit your options. Nothing creepy or desperate about online dating. It is perfectly respectable and safe these days.

Thank you Jehne, very well put and no doubt your best post at solo. There is hope for you girl!

2v2e06c.jpg

Thank you Jehne, very well put and no doubt your best post at solo. There is hope for you girl!

Love a good, barbed compliment on a Thursday evening.

Back
Top Bottom