Troy Tate Rehearsal (Pablo Cuckoo)

Amazing! Love it. No words can express!
Thank you so much, it feels like we're really there with them. Oh how I wish I had been there right at the beginning...I wasn't even born till the late 80s!

Those songs are the highlights of this set and it's nice to have a studio recording (well, kind of) of the earliest version of These Things Take Time. And Mike's drum intro is f***ing killer; even better than when they recorded for Tate. I wish they'd have kept that for the Porter sessions.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6ovwvh

Thank you so much!

These are wonderful. Next up: hopefully someone coughs up "I Want a Boy for My Birthday."

Oh, that would be the be-all-end-all. It would be like Christmas in March...or April. I would love to see a Smiths' "Cutting Room Floor: Previously Unreleased, Uncut and Unheard Songs" album. Along with "Morrissey's Notebook" a collection of his notes and snippets of songs in his writing or type-writing with the John Madden-like markings 'this part goes here, move that phrase there', tea-cup rings, written on scraps of paper and PREMIER REWARDS GOLDreceipts alternate title names, and erasures.

Cheers for this - fantastic! Love the little bits of isolated bass and Mike doing the random stuff that drummers do in rehearsals. Does remind me of my school band but I've a feeling we weren't quite as good as this lot!

without sounding like a bragard I was there to see those very early gigs in Manchester and they were this tight and polished . It took very little to put these songs onto vinyl . However they could be over produced !

Wow... just great. Is almost everything a touch slower?
The first part of the vocals on I Don't Owe You... almost remind me of a higher register Jim Morrison or something. Very different feel.

Haters using this uncovered gem to slam the Morrissey of today but hearing this very early passion makes me appreciate his longevity and independence even more. The recent gigs were excellent until his body forced him to pack it in. We will all suffer a physical demise.
But I believe Morrissey will be back with a renewed ferocity.

yes, yes and yes.

MSVALGA: Ref - Wolverhampton 1988. Do you mean that the tour bus was just wonderful or did you get inside and LISTEN (albeit with people just jumping all over the place, oh yes, they were jumping EVERYWHERE.

Rare early demo from The Smiths emerges online

Congrats DavidA..you made the NME :thumb:

Drummer Mike Joyce tweeted the link to the 1983 tape recordings

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/69301#Aw1UcXhTmCbvaYhU.99

A new early rehearsal recording from The Smiths has emerged online – listen to it above.

The 39-minute recording – titled 'The Pablo Cuckoo Tape', was made in some time in 1983 while the band were getting ready to record their debut LP, 1984's 'The Smiths'. Tweeting to the demo, drummer Mike Joyce wrote: "A fan of The Smiths? An early recording you've probably never heard before." When asked by a fan about the quality of the recording, he replied: "It was recorded on a cassette player lying on the floor in the rehearsal room."

When asked by former Oasis guitarist Bonehead who unearthed the tape, Joyce replied: "Not a clue. I thought I was the only one who kept all the old stuff, obviously not."

The demo is said to have been recorded at a rehearsal in band manager Joe Moss' jeans warehouse Crazy Face in Manchester. The aim was to give the album's original producer Troy Tate something to work on before going into the studio with the band. Tate was later replaced on production duties by John Porter.

Explaining the origins of the tape, the YouTube user who posted it wrote: "I was lent the master cassette by a source close to the band who made the recording, let's call him Pablo Cuckoo in 1997 with a view of trying to put it out as a semi-official release.? As it was recorded before the band had signed to Rough Trade, technically he had the rights to the recording. But a combination of poor sound quality & threats from Warner Bros meant that the idea was shelved." NME has contacted Warner for comment and will update this story if they wish to comment on this claim.

The tracklisting to The Smiths' 'The Pablo Cuckoo Tape' is as follows:

'You've Got Everything Now'
'Accept Yourself'
'What Difference Does It Make?'
'Reel Around The Fountain'
'These Things Take Time'
'I Don't Owe You Anything'
'Hand In Glove'
'Handsome Devil'
'Miserable Lie'

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/69301#Aw1UcXhTmCbvaYhU.99

Trending Threads