Totally Wired Radio / Simon Hearn: Alain Whyte guesting (August 9, 2022)

Screenshot_20220805-181540~2.png

Regards,
FWD.

No song with a twangy riff like that and a vocal performances oozing that much sex appeal and cool can ever be deemed ‘terrible’. The fact that it came from the same single as His Latest Flame makes it even more appealing.
It's just another one of the lame, uninspired, overly commercial RCA recordings along with Jailhouse Rock, Heartbreak Hotel etc. He slowly went downhill after he left Sun. Listen to Mystery Train then play Little Sister. Like everything else it became about the $$$.

It's just another one of the lame, uninspired, overly commercial RCA recordings along with Jailhouse Rock, Heartbreak Hotel etc. He slowly went downhill after he left Sun. Listen to Mystery Train then play Little Sister. Like everything else it became about the $$$.
That he went downhill after leaving Sun is only partly true, in my opinion. I’m of the opinion that Elvis’ seventies were his greatest decade. Not his most important or most influential, but definitely the decade where he made his most emotionally charged and most personal music. He didn’t care about anything other than singing his heart out in the seventies. His life was in shambles and the songs he chose reflected that. I worship everything about him, but the stuff that hits me the hardest and that I most often return to is his stuff from the seventies. That his seventies are underrated is the biggest and most tragic understatement in pop music history.

But sure, Little Sister came out in the early sixties, and the sixties is his weakest decade, musically. But he ended it triumphantly.

The Interviewer was more interesting that his subject. "Elvis invented Rockabilly" Duh (Gene, Eddie, Carl Perkins, need I go on ?). Didn't like the Hip Hop segment in the Elvis movie but wrote with Black Eyed Peas. Total Waste of time. I wonder what the pool is on when he gets sacked again ? Take your Meds Pal.

would be in my top 5 everyday of the week.might be hard to do live though judging by the version above,saying that,his voice is a lot stronger now.
His voice now is both deep er (should help in the first part) and stronger (should help in the final part). If he can do Home is a ? and Love is on its way out, then I think he can do this one too now.
You’re right that the live version of 1999 was somewhat underwhelming, and it is easy to see why it disappeared from the setlist after 2 trials.
One more reason why he should bring it back now, me thinks

The Interviewer was more interesting that his subject. "Elvis invented Rockabilly" Duh (Gene, Eddie, Carl Perkins, need I go on ?). Didn't like the Hip Hop segment in the Elvis movie but wrote with Black Eyed Peas. Total Waste of time. I wonder what the pool is on when he gets sacked again ? Take your Meds Pal.
Who debuted first? Elvis or Gene, Eddie Cochran or Perkins?

It’s such a common trait among certain music fans to dismiss Elvis’ contribution to music and instead give credit to the ones who followed in his footsteps.

Who debuted first? Elvis or Gene, Eddie Cochran or Perkins?

It’s such a common trait among certain music fans to dismiss Elvis’ contribution to music and instead give credit to the ones who followed in his footsteps.
Elvis was first out of all of them but listen to Bill Haley and the Saddlemen do Rock the Joint. That was like '52 so the debate of who invented rockabilly is still open.

Elvis was first out of all of them but listen to Bill Haley and the Saddlemen do Rock the Joint. That was like '52 so the debate of who invented rockabilly is still open.
Jimmy Preston recorded that song in the late 40’s. It sounds very little like rockabilly, but it’s definitely rock’n’roll or at least ‘proto-rock’. Like an early version of the type of rock Bill Haley later made. It’s important to remember that there is a difference between rocknroll and rockabilly.

Elvis wore his influences on his sleeve and was always the first to acknowledge those that came before him. But to diminish his enormous contributions to the origins and birth of rock music is silly and not a good look.

Tags
alain whyte

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom