Torquil Campbell of Canadian indie band Stars on listening to Morrissey / Smiths

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davidt, Sep 28, 2019.

By davidt on Sep 28, 2019 at 7:47 AM
  1. davidt

davidt Administrator Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Link from Paul:

‘We all know our lives have been f**ked by the internet’ - The Irish Times
    Torquil Campbell, the frontman of Canadian indie posters Stars, on free speech, The Smiths and the impact of music

Excerpt:

...His early heroes were obviously The Smiths, patron saints of glum adolescents from Saskatchewan to Salford. He continues to listen to their records, though with understandable ambivalence given Morrissey’s alleged right-wing views.

“It’s just so depressing,” says Campbell. “I feel bad for Johnny Marr. I feel bad for me – they’re my favourite band of all time. I feel bad for all the people who love The Smiths. I can still listen to Morrissey. I can still on a certain level love it. I don’t think the Smiths will ever stop being my favourite band. But it sure is sad to see someone who came so close to understanding things pull away and insulate himself against love, life and people.

“He strikes me as a very sad person now – but not in the way of being sad with us. He’s sad alone. He’s sitting in some house in Los Angeles, watching Fox News, thinking he’s being clever because he disagrees with Billy Bragg. It’s not clever, man.”

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davidt, Sep 28, 2019.

1. gordyboy9
      gordyboy9
      I haven't shat the bed for weeks.
    2. Emotional Guide Dog
      Emotional Guide Dog
      Seems like a reasonable comment. Be careful that you don't pull a reverse Skinny when anyone is slightly critical.
    3. countthree
      countthree
      I don't read myself. You could do the same and save your time if that's your opinion.:ha-no:
    4. The Truth
      The Truth
      I find your posts interesting.
    5. countthree
      countthree
      I don't blame you.
    6. vegan cro spirit 555
      vegan cro spirit 555
      WTF???? whats with the 'ya'. 'ya' half peddaling? 'ya ya ya ya ya ya':drama:
      are you illiterate or
      trying to act Col Klink???:lbf:
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
    7. PuppetParrot
      PuppetParrot
      chill yourself, Skinny.
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Hey snowflake.......The sky is blue...The grass is green...GO fuck yer mother...Join the Marines !
    9. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Morrissey watches fox TV and has a house in LA? Which interview?
      I believe he sold his house featured in a documentary in 2004. Has he bought another?
    10. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Because has a different opinion to the one you hold? Boy, what a weakling you show yourself to be.
      • Redundant Redundant x 1
    11. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Will this be the title of your forthcoming autobiography. Ghost-written, of course. :blushing:
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    12. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Bless you, sir (or ma'am). You really don't know how many you speak for. When challenged, the little boy crumbles like Weetabix in hot milk.
    13. Befriend
      Befriend
    14. PuppetParrot
      PuppetParrot
      is befriend your latest username, Skinny?
    15. Befriend
      Befriend
      Who the f*** is Skinny?
    16. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Is this some sort of joke article? wtf is this guy he looks like Damon Albarn in a wig and he talks out of his arse :eek:
    17. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Since you’re the smallest fucking troll on this site - who owns zero records and has attended zero shows by ANYONE - it’s not surprising that you’re ignorant of who Stars are.

Choke on an emoji, bitch. Your passing will be a blessing to all. ...especially your mother. I’m sure the burden of your presence must be getting getting on her nerves. If you had any love for her, you’d get a job and a place of your own - from which to spout like a stuck-pig. ...after you’ve completed some remedial English training, to help you string a fucking sentence together.

Have you even bought her a new toaster? Can you afford to? The one she’s got now is full of pizza-pop, toaster-strudel and pop-tart crumbs. Remnants of the diet that have made you who you are. Pony up, bitch. Grow a pair. Do something nice for your mom. She hasn’t had a decent day since before you were born.

Or just carry-on. That’s what I expect you’ll do. ...and that’s fine too. It’ll ALL be over soon. ;)
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
    18. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      ...says Captain Emoji from the sofa-bed, in his mamma’s basement.

Pony-up a sentence, ya wee fuck-tard.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      There’s a brutal irony at play when someone who’s built a career out of homage and literary reference is now fanned by illiterate rubes who’ve never read anything beyond a meme.

Maybe your boy can dip into the dried-up well and write a shanty about it.

Of course, he’d have to switch up the players. ...at least get someone who can pick, to play lead.

This kind of fits the Morrissey fan state of affairs...

Sketch and doodle
      Increasingly brutal
      Twisting and twitching forth
      A road to nowhere
      Reaching its height at the grave
      Not even HE
      Who made the no-show famous
      Among the young-bucks
      Dumb fucks
      No-lucks
      could cast a light or semblance of insight
      Show, or no-show
      Clueless
      Not there for the original,
      They’re stranded
      Between laziness and knowledge
      “Thinking” the present will pass
      Into anything but the past
      Weak. Feeble. Needy sheeple.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    20. Oh my
      Oh my
      I didn't know the Stars and I got curious... All their songs seem to be quite similar: a boy and a girl whining as a forgettable melody sounds. It's not terrible, it's worse.
      Are they famous in Canada?