Tori Amos

Tbevie

Girl afraid
I first got into Tori Amos’s music a couple of years ago. A friend at my sister’s work used to make compilation CDs of various artists and bands for her. And of course as the younger sibling it was my duty to sneak into her room and ‘borrow’ her CDs. I came across a CD entitled ‘An Introduction to Tori Amos’. It took me a few listens to really get in to it but I’ve been a fan ever since and I have since bought a few of her studio and compilation albums.

I love her voice and her experimental music style but I’d say the only thing I dislike about her music is that it’s very difficult to understand what she’s singing.

That’s one of the many things I love about Morrissey’s singing style. Every word is sung so clearly and with so much confidence. His style of singing is what attracted me to his music in the first place.

But that aside I do enjoy listing to her music.

Am I alone?

Last edited:
I think some of her songs and lyrics are fantastic. Not to mention her pianoplaying!
"Rabbit, where'd you put the keys, girl?" and "A cat named Easter said: Will you ever learn? You're just an empty cage, girl, if you kill the bird". I like her metaphoric lyrics. They are like magical spells to me:D

I never really got into her, but I do remember the song "Winter", because that was the only time I was enchanted in a way.

I think some of her songs and lyrics are fantastic. Not to mention her pianoplaying!
"Rabbit, where'd you put the keys, girl?" and "A cat named Easter said: Will you ever learn? You're just an empty cage, girl, if you kill the bird". I like her metaphoric lyrics. They are like magical spells to me:D

Oh yeah, I love her piano playing, especially her piano solos on 'Cornflake girl' :)

At the G-Mex gigs recently a friend said that Kristeen Young had more than a passing musical resemblance to Tori Amos. I don't know enough about Tori Amos to be able to agree or disagree.

Peter

At the G-Mex gigs recently a friend said that Kristeen Young had more than a passing musical resemblance to Tori Amos. I don't know enough about Tori Amos to be able to agree or disagree.

Peter

...piano playing, individual rock artists, who happen to be female.

What if we started to compare all guitar-playing male rock singers to each other the way we seem to have an enourmous urge to do with female artists? We could do that

But I think there is a resemblance, which is purely vocal. However, their musical styles (and, dare I say, references) are very different from each other.

...piano playing, individual rock artists, who happen to be female.

What if we started to compare all guitar-playing male rock singers to each other the way we seem to have an enourmous urge to do with female artists? We could do that

But I think there is a resemblance, which is purely vocal. However, their musical styles (and, dare I say, references) are very different from each other.

Oh, I think Kate would balk at that. She knows her lady artists, and wouldn't have made the comparison had she not thought it worthwhile. I myself am ignorant on that front.

Peter

I adore both Tori Amos and Kristeen Young. However, all they have in common I think is that they're both repeatedly compared with Kate Bush.

Oh, I forgot - I have a live bootleg of Tori Amos' Manchester Apollo concert in 2005. The audience was asking her to play a Smiths tune - but she started a long long rant about how much and why she disliked Morrissey, using the f word a lot, and ended her rant with Oasis' "Don't Look Back In Anger"..changing one line to "...you'll never burn my heart out, Morrissey".

Quite funny.

I can remember the incident being reported on Moz solo back then, and she seemed to have turned a lot of Moz listeners against her.

I've heard about that incident, but it doesn't make her songs less good. Changing that line in "Don't look back..." was funny

^^ Are you in Oz?
I heard the bootleg of the Kylie song she covered and dedicated to "another sistah" soon after Kylie had been diagnosed with breast cancer. That was somehow very moving.

Back
Top Bottom