Top ten underrated Morrissey songs?

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=61004

Recent forum poll result shows that "Jack The Ripper" is very popular and it's in No.21 the songs played live Morrissey's solo career (thanks to Johan who provided the info), which is one of the reasons its popularity.

We also have "The Worst Song Poll", but I decided not to vote because these songs aren't so bad, just happened to be less popular than others.:o

I knew somebody would have picked it up before now, it is pretty old! But never mind :)

Jack The Ripper does seem to be a popular choice, it's getting to the point where it can't really be called underrated any more.

I like Jack The Ripper alot, for the lyrics more than anything else. The chorus is gorgeous. It is one of those songs that revolves around your mind for days.

A few of my favourite Morrissey songs are on that list, like I'd Love To and Alsatian Cousin. I'm not sure Seasick, Yet Still Docked and Late Night, Maudlin Street (both great) are underrated either, many fans are putting them on top of their favourite Moz songs.

Not sure about I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday and You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side - both are among my favourite Moz songs. How popular are they?

I think that Maladjusted is a very underrated song, also Southpaw, Nobody Loves Us, Whatever Happens, I Love You, This Is Not Your Country, Yes, I Am Blind, Asian Rut, and others, he has lots of wonderful less known songs.

"Reputably the chorus of “he drew a swallow on my neck and more I will not say...” refers not to an actual bird tattoo (which has Nazi/SS soldier overtones)"

Nazi/SS soldier overtones?

"Reputably the chorus of “he drew a swallow on my neck and more I will not say...” refers not to an actual bird tattoo (which has Nazi/SS soldier overtones)"

Nazi/SS soldier overtones?
I don't get it either. :confused: Did the author of this article ever work for NME? :p

However, Morrissey definitely did have a an actual tattoo of the swallow (well, a fake tattoo, obviously...) on his hand around 1994.

i think that jack the ripper is kinda overrated actually

It's about time someone says that! I thought I was the only one who felt this way...

Oh, and to stay on-topic, I'd say the most underrated song is Hold On To Your Friends... yes, I know it was released as a single and all, but I noticed that a lot of people on this forum dislike it. I think that it's charming...

I love Hold On To Your Friends, in my opinion it's an excellent song. It's all a matter of taste!

With reference to that swallow tattoo, I've been trying to get a decent pic of that for ages. The one from the back of the Vauhall and I album thats just an outline, from what I remember, not the filled in one he sports on his hand. I think it's ace.

well where to start:

'whatever happens i will always love you' struck me as the closest Moz ever came to having an orgasm on record. the passion and sheer desperation really translate.

and what about the the fantastic 'pashernate love?'

my favourite album diddty still has to be 'break up the family' to me that album's 'well i wonder'.

and 'lost' although i'm sure mentioned by many other fans. 'lost' is THE great undiscovered masterpiece.

oh and also to anyone who is interested in knowing; i used to work in a london hotel and know who the real 'belle du jour ' is. i know it's last years news.............but if anyone's interested i used to do her banking for her cheques...................

Mmmm love Swallow on my neck, just the pharse it's self is brilliant and the ambuity. It's a real intimate song, that feels real, shouldnt be underrated

The article's list is completely ridiculous. Alsatian Cousin? It is one of my favorite songs, and while it a little underrated, Morrissey has played it a lot live and it gets a lot of attention, so it doesn't qualify. Seasick, Yet Still Docked?! It's actually very overrated. I know I'm gonna get a lot of backlash for calling Seasick overrated, but you must admit that is popular and doesn't qualify for the list. Maudlin Street underrated?! Yes it is a great song, but EVERYONE loves it! Seeing Jack the Ripper as Morrissey's "most underrated song" actually shocked me. But some of these songs actually are underrated. I've Changed My Plea to Guilty, Satan Rejected My Soul, Let the Right One Slip In, Sunny, and A Swallow on My Neck.

Now I'll just rant all the songs I feel underrated in loosely chronological order (some of them are repeated from above though):
Little Man, What Now?
Bengali in Platforms
I Don't Mind if You Forget Me
Dial-a-Cliché
I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
Interesting Drug
Lucky Lisp
East West
Asian Rut
Found Found Found
The Loop
I've Changed My Plea to Guilty
You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side
Pashernate Love
Let the Right One Slip In
Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
Spring-Heeled Jim
Used to Be a Sweet Boy
The Operation
You Must Please Remember
Best Friend on the Payroll
Sunny
A Swallow on My Neck
Black-Eyed Susan
Whatever Happens, I Love You
Have-a-Go Merchant
Maladjusted
Ammunition
Sorrow Will Come in the End
Satan Rejected My Soul
I Can Have Both
The Edges Are No Longer Parallell
Now I Am a Was
America Is Not the World
All the Lazy Dykes
You Know I Couldn't Last
It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small
Munich Air Disaster 1958
The Public Image
Good Looking Man About Town
I Knew I Was Next
The Father Who Must Be Killed
On the Streets I Ran
A Song from Under the Floorboards

Yeah, it's more than a bit excessive, but these songs deserve credit and attention.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Our Frank... And almost nobody outside the Moz circle, knows it :( It's such a work of art in arrangements and musical breaks...

well where to start:

'whatever happens i will always love you' struck me as the closest Moz ever came to having an orgasm on record. the passion and sheer desperation really translate.
;) How true. But I swear the orgasm isn't the only reason I love that song. :o

The article's list is completely ridiculous. Alsatian Cousin? It is one of my favorite songs, and while it a little underrated, Morrissey has played it a lot live and it gets a lot of attention, so it doesn't qualify. Seasick, Yet Still Docked?! It's actually very overrated. I know I'm gonna get a lot of backlash for calling Seasick overrated, but you must admit that is popular and doesn't qualify for the list. Maudlin Street underrated?! Yes it is a great song, but EVERYONE loves it! Seeing Jack the Ripper as Morrissey's "most underrated song" actually shocked me. But some of these songs actually are underrated. I've Changed My Plea to Guilty, Satan Rejected My Soul, Let the Right One Slip In, Sunny, and A Swallow on My Neck.

Now I'll just rant all the songs I feel underrated in loosely chronological order (some of them are repeated from above though):
Little Man, What Now?
Bengali in Platforms
I Don't Mind if You Forget Me
Dial-a-Cliché
I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
Interesting Drug
Lucky Lisp
East West
Asian Rut
Found Found Found
The Loop
I've Changed My Plea to Guilty
You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side
Pashernate Love
Let the Right One Slip In
Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
Spring-Heeled Jim
Used to Be a Sweet Boy
The Operation
You Must Please Remember
Best Friend on the Payroll
Sunny
A Swallow on My Neck
Black-Eyed Susan
Whatever Happens, I Love You
Have-a-Go Merchant
Maladjusted
Ammunition
Sorrow Will Come in the End
Satan Rejected My Soul
I Can Have Both
The Edges Are No Longer Parallell
Now I Am a Was
America Is Not the World
All the Lazy Dykes
You Know I Couldn't Last
It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small
Munich Air Disaster 1958
The Public Image
Good Looking Man About Town
I Knew I Was Next
The Father Who Must Be Killed
On the Streets I Ran
A Song from Under the Floorboards

Yeah, it's more than a bit excessive, but these songs deserve credit and attention.
I thought I was the only one who loved You Must Please Remember! :)

I agree with you about many of those... though not all (I'd rather not think about Sorrow Will Come In The End...).
Particularly Maladjusted, Whatever Happens, I Love You, You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side (they would be in my top 10 or top 15 favourite Moz solo songs), Interesting Drug, You Must Please Remember, Used To Be A Sweet BoyThe Public Image, Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
Asian Rut, I Know Very Well How I Got My Name, Good Looking Man About Town, and I think All The Lazy Dykes, Spring-Heeled Jim, Found Found Found, Pashernate Love, I've Changed My Plea To Guilty are also very good... I'm not sure if Sunny is underrated, many people seem to like it. A Song From Under The Floorboards is a great cover, but I still prefer the Magazine original. I also like Friday Mourning a lot.

Back
Top Bottom