Top 10 Favorite Bands or Singers

No real order other than the first two... as usual.

1. new order
2. electronic
3. pet shop boys
4. depeche mode
5. modest mouse
6. simple minds
7. tears for fears
8. the cure
9. the smiths
10. the pretenders
11. the kinks
12. the the

oops, thats 12 again...

do i dare put u2 back in here?

This question comes from a big New Order fan who also likes Electronic quite a bit: how in the world can you justify Electronic over The Smiths like that? Or Depeche Mode for that matter? "Electronic" was brilliant but after that it got spotty.

Not attacking your taste here, merely curious as to your reasoning.

Having favorite bands is so 20th century. :rolleyes:

No, I'm joking, but I find that I can't really identify mine because over the last year or so the music that I've been enjoying has been from indie outfits with one release, artists whose work I like part of but not all, or artists whose work I'm not fully familiar with so I can't call them a favorite because I might hate their other work.

Am I thinking too much, or not enough? :confused:

Having favorite bands is so 20th century. :rolleyes:

No, I'm joking, but I find that I can't really identify mine because over the last year or so the music that I've been enjoying has been from indie outfits with one release, artists whose work I like part of but not all, or artists whose work I'm not fully familiar with so I can't call them a favorite because I might hate their other work.

Am I thinking too much, or not enough? :confused:

I had the same thought!

Just listing my favorite bands makes me feel like a dinosaur. You're right, it's so twentieth century. For better or worse, these days I'm mostly listening to music a la carte. As Merlin ruefully told Arthur in "Excalibur", "It's the way of things".

I had the same thought!

Just listing my favorite bands makes me feel like a dinosaur. You're right, it's so twentieth century. For better or worse, these days I'm mostly listening to music a la carte. As Merlin ruefully told Arthur in "Excalibur", "It's the way of things".

One day a couple of years ago I looked at my CD's and it occurred to me that I was a museum, and that I didn't even know how to find the good new stuff anymore. My friends were all museums, too, so I started asking teenage boys. See, I had a brand new iPod and it seemed a shame to just fill it up with the same old stuff. Is that what Apple wanted??

Excalibur, now if this thread were Top 10 Favorite Films...

i heard arcade fire yesterday and i was digging it.

Here's mine:

10. The Cure
9. Suede
8. Bjork
7. The Smiths
6. David Bowie
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
4. PJ Harvey
3. The Creatures
2. Morrissey
1. Siouxsie & The Banshees

One day a couple of years ago I looked at my CD's and it occurred to me that I was a museum, and that I didn't even know how to find the good new stuff anymore. My friends were all museums, too, so I started asking teenage boys. See, I had a brand new iPod and it seemed a shame to just fill it up with the same old stuff. Is that what Apple wanted??

Excalibur, now if this thread were Top 10 Favorite Films...

Yeah, I had thought my iPod would be ideal for playing all my favorite stuff but instead I've filled it with flotsam and jetsam-- downloads from all sorts of bands I'd never have played back in the day. It's really a double-edged sword: my musical tastes have happily been opened up but, at the same time, I simply don't care that much about any of it. The wonderous age of digital music has redefined the term "disposable".

Last edited:
SMITHS/MORRISEY
NIRVANA
THE CURE
MODEST MOUSE
SPRINGSTEEN
CASH
NEIL YOUNG
MARVIN GAYE
RED HOTT CHILI PEPPERS
JOY DIVISION

doesn't include hip hop or metal that i also listen too...:D

nina
steve
sinead
susan cadogan
greg sage
johnny thunders
jonathan richman
ari up
patti smith
the gypsy kings
nico
elizabeth cotten
ken boothe
dennis wilson
mark smith

when your feeling down try listening to the 13 minute long version of nina simones sinnerman. it will lift you.

1. Morrissey
2. Pulp
3. The Divine Comedy
4. Adam Green
5. The Fratellis
6. Air
7. Babyshambles
8. Paul Weller
9. Rufus Wainwright
10. The Smiths

My top 12:

rolling stones (sixties to early eighties period)
new york dolls
rocket from the crypt/hot snakes
fabulosos cadillacs
the clash
morrissey/the smiths
sonic youth
social distortion
jesus lizard
the replacements
stone roses

*The Smiffs
Morrissey