top 10 bands (other than Smiths/Moz)

Re: does Moz hate The Cure or something?

robert smith once remarked "if morrissey says don't eat meat, i'll eat meat because i hate morrissey."

what does he know? he's just a funny little man in a fright wig with crimson lippie. that being said, i liked the cure before i was even really conscious of the smiths, and i still sort of like them. fave song of theirs: killing an arab (i have a weakness for camus).

> Wow! That's the first time I think I've ever seen The GoGo's, Joy
> Division, Siouxie and Dire Straits all together in the one list! Wonder
> what it would sound like if we could get them all to jam together . . .
> (Ian Curtis notwithstanding, RIP)

LOL! I'd pay anything to see them try

Re: in no special order

> the smashing pumpkins
> blur
> new order
> the stone roses
> belle and sebastien
> the clash
> the pixies (i also dig frank black and the breeders)
> t-rex
> beck
> r.e.m.

> i also like the foo fighters (dare them to put out a sucky,
> un-sing-along-able album), pulp, bis, aztec camera, DURAN DURAN, weezer,
> the hives, the who, the monkees, jeff buckley, joy division, as well as
> random eighties one hit wonders (on american soil anyway) such as modern
> english, big country, aha, etc. i love lots of other bands, but well, i'm
> lazy.

Good someone I can ask this question: There was one good song that the local college radio played by Aztec Camera around 1988/89. So a few months ago I found that album...er I mean CD used and listened to it again. It sucked, except MAYBE for that one song that was popular. Now I haven't heard anything of theirs recent...did they get any better?

> You should continue with your list of left outs, because that list, so
> far, is looking far better than the ones who made the cut.

Gee, Oaf I don't see your top ten on here (for us to make snide comments about).

well roddy frame (the main man behind aztec camera) hasn't released an a.c. album since 1995 (apart from a best of collection and a reissue of the two albums on one cd). i haven't listened to every album, but from the ones i have listened to, i have to say that a.c. is definitely an acquired taste. some of the songs make me think "what the f***?!" but i love the song "good morning, britain" from 1990's "stray." however, a.c.'s best album is probably the first: "high land, hard rain."

> Mindy, didn't you post a message like two weeks ago saying you heard Belle
> & Sebastian for the first time? And that quickly they make your Top
> 10? Or do I have you confused with somebody else?

Hey, Mr. Oaf (or is it Mr. Stud?),
You seem pretty keen on deriding other people's listings, so where's yours for us to have a go at?

WANKY, PRETENTIOUS ART-ROCK WILL ONE DAY CONQUER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Hey, Mr. Oaf (or is it Mr. Stud?),
> You seem pretty keen on deriding other people's listings, so where's yours
> for us to have a go at?

I wasn't deriding Mindy's list.

It's true I don't understand how Belle & Sebastian can make like half of the Top 10 lists I see here. I mean, are they really better than, say, Jimi Hendrix? Bob Marley? I dunno. I guess it's just lists of personal faves and that's fine. And yes I guess I'll put mine together later today, as if anyone cares.

> i was grasping at straws. there are only so many bands that i like and
> that i have enough albums of to form a fair opinion (i have three b&s
> ones). mind you, it took the smiths about 30 seconds to become my favorite
> band. in any case, my list changes daily. if i were to make the list
> today, i'd probably take off r.e.m. and add the beatles or something.

I guess you're right. There are some bands that I've felt instantly became my faves when I first heard them.

The Smiths weren't one of them for me, though. The Smiths and Morrissey grew on me very gradually over about a one year length of time. The first time I heard the guy I completely mocked him! But now he's probably forever my all-time fave singer.

> That's cause #10 is a tie :/ I just now woke up by the way.......

The Jesus & Mary Chain were a good band, so I'm glad you bent the rules.

well the first smiths album i bought was singles and as soon as i heard morrissey's voice on "hand in glove," i was hooked. i dunno, i'm prone to that sort of thing. the smashing pumpkins instantly became my favorite band when i heard "tonight, tonight" for the first time when i was a kid. guess i'm weird.

Re: does Moz hate The Cure or something?

> robert smith once remarked "if morrissey says don't eat meat, i'll
> eat meat because i hate morrissey."

> what does he know? he's just a funny little man in a fright wig with
> crimson lippie.
Robert Smith is totally cutting edge. You couldn't find that lipcolor for the longest time, unless you bought the cheap knockoff in cover girl or maybelline.

This list also changes by the moment, along with my fantastically wild mood swings

Split Enz
The Cinematics
The Police
Flock Of Seagulls
Depeche Mode
Julian Lennon
The Cars
Tears For Fears
Ministry (early synth pop- before they got REALLY demented)
U2

Kicking Myself For Missing This - Or Maybe I just Wasn't In The Mood 12 Minutes Ago...

I simply MUST include unsigned artist Suzanne Schroeder on my top 10 list of the last few seconds!!

*wink*

and morrissey said:

if he had to choose between shooting mark e smith or robert smith hed put one behind the other and shoot them both.

I Want My MTV!! (circa 1984)

... so what are your top 10 bands (other than Smiths/Moz) ??

Re: This list also changes by the moment, along with my fantastically wild mood swings

> Ministry (early synth pop- before they got REALLY demented)

I LOVE early Ministry! Twitch is my favorite album. 'Over the Shoulder' being my fav. song by them. Great stuff! Ever see the video? Kooky.

Back
Top Bottom