Too many hipsters/scenesters and not real fans at weekly Moz tribute night

U

Unknown

I'm not making this post to sound elitist, I just think its depressing to see these hipster, pretentious people who feel the need to look cool and fit in take up 75% of the weekly hardcore Moz/Smiths tribute party in NYC.

They miss the point of the original spirit of Moz and create bad energy for the scene. What about being alone, misplaced and real to the core?

They don't get it and this weekly night at a place called "Sway" on Spring STreet in NYC is full of people trying to look cool with all their friends, as if Morrissey now deemed cool and they have to be there.

Ok there were a small percentage of real fans at this night who knew the lyrics to the songs, like I do. I went there to enjoy myself and let loose to the great music they were playing (85% smiths & moz from 11pm to 4am) and it was "truly disappointing" that not enough real fans were there.

It makes me sick that all these pretentious people are around when they are the antithesis of what saved me during my teenage years - I have been a fan since Meat is Murder was released and found these songs therapeutic. Its us people who think for ourselves that are cynical about society bullshit people like these hipsters.

They sit there obviously not knowing the lyrics and smoke cigarettes.

Everyone is allowed to like Morrissey, but it seems as if these people were there to put the real people down and make them uncomfortable with an attitude.

If anyone here has gone to this tribute night, please feel free to add your point of view.........

:-((

i know the crowd you're talking about. there are other smiths/moz nights in nyc that are a bit less "pretentious" as you might say. but you can't really escape that anywhere in new york. i'm sure that a lot of the people you're referring to were probably just there hanging out with friends, and weren't necessarily trying to put out an elitist vibe, but i can see how it would come across that way.

anyway, i plan to be at sway for my birthday this year, which happens to fall on a sunday, and happens to be may 22, the same day as morrissey's! i'm assuming the moz party will be extra hyped up. maybe there will even be others, or a bigger one. there's always stuff going on for his birthday.

> I'm not making this post to sound elitist, I just think its depressing to
> see these hipster, pretentious people who feel the need to look cool and
> fit in take up 75% of the weekly hardcore Moz/Smiths tribute party in NYC.

> They miss the point of the original spirit of Moz and create bad energy
> for the scene. What about being alone, misplaced and real to the core?

> They don't get it and this weekly night at a place called "Sway"
> on Spring STreet in NYC is full of people trying to look cool with all
> their friends, as if Morrissey now deemed cool and they have to be there.

> Ok there were a small percentage of real fans at this night who knew the
> lyrics to the songs, like I do. I went there to enjoy myself and let loose
> to the great music they were playing (85% smiths & moz from 11pm to
> 4am) and it was "truly disappointing" that not enough real fans
> were there.

> It makes me sick that all these pretentious people are around when they
> are the antithesis of what saved me during my teenage years - I have been
> a fan since Meat is Murder was released and found these songs therapeutic.
> Its us people who think for ourselves that are cynical about society
> bullshit people like these hipsters.

> They sit there obviously not knowing the lyrics and smoke cigarettes.

> Everyone is allowed to like Morrissey, but it seems as if these people
> were there to put the real people down and make them uncomfortable with an
> attitude.

> If anyone here has gone to this tribute night, please feel free to add
> your point of view.........

> :-((

I tend to agree. I went there once and it was mostly drunk girls thrashing their heads about. Not too many real fans there. If you sing along, most likely you'll get mocked or laughed at.

Back
Top Bottom