Tony Visconti says he wouldn't mind working with Morrissey again; not in touch - Irish Times

Tony Visconti: ‘The thing with Phil Lynott was that he was visibly dying’ - The Irish Times
The veteran record producer on Bowie, Morrissey and his problem with Steve Albini

Excerpt:

Morrissey’s great knack
Speaking of Morrissey, Visconti worked on his 2005 album, Ringleader of the Tormentors. Does he intend to work with the prickly Mancunian-Irish singer again? “I wouldn’t mind working with him again, and I’m very proud of the album we did, but we are not in touch,” he says. “I don’t know. He’s off on something else. That’s all I can really say. He has a knack of pushing people away from him. It’s the way he lives his life."

Last edited by a moderator:
'He has a knack of pushing people away from him. It’s the way he lives his life.'

No shit Sherlock!

Interesting. Didn't Visconti burn that bridge, though, during the Facebook drama when he rallied to the side of Kristeen Young during the allergies/virus tour debacle? I seem to vaguely remember something along those lines. And didn't numbnuts Tobias talk shit about him in his randomly-capitalized-words "farewell to false friends" letter?

I wonder what he means by "he's off on one"... does he mean Moz is on a mission only Moz understands, or does he mean Moz is off his head, or off on another planet, or something else? "That's all I can really say".... why can't he say whatever he likes? He's Tony Visconti.
It's funny how down through the years so many people are afraid or reluctant to say too much about Moz. It reminds me of "He who can not be named" (i.e. Voldemort).

Interesting. Didn't Visconti burn that bridge, though, during the Facebook drama when he rallied to the side of Kristeen Young during the allergies/virus tour debacle? I seem to vaguely remember something along those lines. And didn't numbnuts Tobias talk shit about him in his randomly-capitalized-words "farewell to false friends" letter?

yes, those randomly capitalized words still confuse me but so does that weird haircut he gives himself sometimes where he looks like Karl Childers:

https://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_140613_01

Steve Albini producing Morrissey - now that's something I'd love to hear.

I can recommend Visconti's autobiography, probably one of the best rock books I've read in a long time. Not a big fan of everything he's done but he tells a good story and it was interesting to read.

I wonder what he means by "he's off on one"... does he mean Moz is on a mission only Moz understands, or does he mean Moz is off his head, or off on another planet, or something else? "That's all I can really say".... why can't he say whatever he likes? He's Tony Visconti.
It's funny how down through the years so many people are afraid or reluctant to say too much about Moz. It reminds me of "He who can not be named" (i.e. Voldemort).

Whatever he doesn't say can't be that bad when he would work with Moz again.

Yes, that's pretty much how I remember it.

I loved it when TTY would post Statements. It seemed so..... formal. Even though they were usually ridiculous.

Visconti, after siding with nutty KY against Moz: I wouldnt mind working with him again.
translation: i got no money.:straightface:

Why would Visconti expand on his feelings? He’s a professional. He’s being diplomatic. Perhaps he’s more concerned with the EXCELLENT work his done since his dalliance with little Stephen. “Afraid or reluctant”? LOL! Much more likely, “can’t be bothered”.

Plenty HAVE spoken and what’s left to say? Morrissey’s words, actions and sub-par output speak for themselves. Nobody with a flourishing or hopeful career wants to go down with a self-destructing ship.

For those of you who didn’t purchase passage-cancellation insurance, you’ll find the “troll” and “redundant” options below. I won’t begrudge you the small comforts that keep your wee hearts ticking.

Yeah, I wonder why that is? Are they hoping maybe to work with him again? Go ahead and dish on Moz ... the worst that's going happen is you'll get frozen out. It's what seems to happen regardless, but at least we'll get some good stories. :thumb:

Last edited:
Ringleader gets a bad rep but I loved it when it comes out. So more cohesive and subtle than Quarry. I am instantly taken back to 2006 when I listen to it. Gunning down to Cornwall while ‘in the future’ played on the radio is a great memory

... nutty KY

I tried that once. I don’t recommend it.

Does anyone think there will be another Morrissey album for Visconti to potentially produce? I ask as it seems releasing albums these days is a very good way to lose money, and the cash is now in touring.

Is Morrissey healthy enough for such a gruelling itineraries now, and if he isn’t why bother putting out an album?

Ringleader gets a bad rep but I loved it when it comes out. So more cohesive and subtle than Quarry. I am instantly taken back to 2006 when I listen to it. Gunning down to Cornwall while ‘in the future’ played on the radio is a great memory

Ringleader does hold up very well. I remember not being too thrilled about it when it first arrived but in retrospect I think its a better album than Quarry and Refusal.

I've also read a few rumors over the years that Alain Whyte, who played guitars at the sessions, was reportedly upset at the finished mix of the album. Was the original plan for Alain to be a bit more upfront in the mix? His guitars are barely audible on Ringleader since the mixing is very heavily biased towards Jesse. Don't know the whole story about that one.

Agree....if only the songwriting wouldn't go downhill after "Pigsty".

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom