Tony Visconti - My top 6 productions - Team Rock

Tony Visconti: My Top 6 productions - Team Rock

Includes Ringleader Of The Tormentors

Nice words from Tony, even after the Kristeen fallout and what was said back then.

Excerpt:

MorrisseyRingleader Of The Tormentors (2006)

“The one and only Morrissey album that I produced. The title alone is fantastic, and I assume that Morrissey is the ringleader who is tormenting us. That album, like "Heroes", was done in a very special place. It was recorded in Rome, and like David, Morrissey brought Rome into the studio. The songs were written about Rome, all of us were doing things in Rome, we'd go out to have dinner together at Italian restaurants, I don't drink, so I wouldn't join Morrissey and the band when they would go to nightclubs, but everyone was completely immersing themselves in the city.

The atmosphere in the studio while making the album was such that what ever you were doing you were constantly reminded that you were in Rome, and a lot of references to Rome got into the lyrics. We even got the great Ennio Morricone to do the strings on Dear God, Please Help Me which was just fantastic. So that was quite an amazing album and I'm also proud that I made it sound retro, which was on purpose, I think Morrissey wanted it to sound like a Tony Visconti production rather than a modern production where everything is loud and in your face, so I recorded that album with sensitivity in mind.

He would just be in ecstasy every day. Every day that he showed up in the studio he would listen to what I had been doing earlier in the day with Boz (Boorer), Jesse (Tobias) and Alain (Whyte), the three guitarists on the album, and he just approved of everything, and I'd heard that he could be a cruel taskmaster. If he didn't like you, you'd be sacked in five seconds. I endured the length of the album, and it's an album that I'm very proud of. Unfortunately, two of the best tracks were released as B-sides. One was Ganglord, I wish Ganglord was on that album, there was also a song called Sweetie-Pie, I got Kristeen Young to sing backing vocals on that, they were two controversial titles that, if they had been included, would have made it a better album. But in all, the whole experience with Ringleader was something that I shall never forget.”

Last edited by a moderator:
http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-06-10/tony-visconti-my-top-6-productions

Includes Ringleader Of The Tormentors

Nice words from Tony, even after the Kristeen fallout and what was said back then.

Excerpt:

MorrisseyRingleader Of The Tormentors (2006)

“The one and only Morrissey album that I produced. The title alone is fantastic, and I assume that Morrissey is the ringleader who is tormenting us. That album, like "Heroes", was done in a very special place. It was recorded in Rome, and like David, Morrissey brought Rome into the studio. The songs were written about Rome, all of us were doing things in Rome, we'd go out to have dinner together at Italian restaurants, I don't drink, so I wouldn't join Morrissey and the band when they would go to nightclubs, but everyone was completely immersing themselves in the city.

The atmosphere in the studio while making the album was such that what ever you were doing you were constantly reminded that you were in Rome, and a lot of references to Rome got into the lyrics. We even got the great Ennio Morricone to do the strings on Dear God, Please Help Me which was just fantastic. So that was quite an amazing album and I'm also proud that I made it sound retro, which was on purpose, I think Morrissey wanted it to sound like a Tony Visconti production rather than a modern production where everything is loud and in your face, so I recorded that album with sensitivity in mind.

He would just be in ecstasy every day. Every day that he showed up in the studio he would listen to what I had been doing earlier in the day with Boz (Boorer), Jesse (Tobias) and Alain (Whyte), the three guitarists on the album, and he just approved of everything, and I'd heard that he could be a cruel taskmaster. If he didn't like you, you'd be sacked in five seconds. I endured the length of the album, and it's an album that I'm very proud of. Unfortunately, two of the best tracks were released as B-sides. One was Ganglord, I wish Ganglord was on that album, there was also a song called Sweetie-Pie, I got Kristeen Young to sing backing vocals on that, they were two controversial titles that, if they had been included, would have made it a better album. But in all, the whole experience with Ringleader was something that I shall never forget.”

Tony Visconti is a genius. And Dear God, Please Help Me is totally wonderful.

Yes the Kristeen Young "I just had allergy attacks" fallout. Like recently when she cancelled some shows because of allergy issues which mysteriously transformed into bronchitis overnight :tearsofjoy:

It's a shame the album ended up having such poor sound quality. Does he not hear it?

Nice to read that the album was such a good time for him and Moz. Still my favourite of the albums this century.

her nails look so gross in that picture. i dont understand fake nails.

Isn't it the case that Visconti came late in the game anyway, or did I hear wrong?

It's a shame the album ended up having such poor sound quality. Does he not hear it?

Glad they had a good experience but I agree. I'm not very techy so maybe someone will say it's the mastering but it doesn't sound good Imo

Ganglord is a lot better live which says it all about his production, and Sweetie Pie is horrible but at least TV got to mention KY and DB, which was probably the point of putting this record on the list anyway.

Tony Visconti is a dickwad. Any excuse to mention wretched KY! You're a loser Tony!

Hello there Morrissey. Nice to read you on the forums again!

...Missed me, have you? :crazy:

You guys know me so well, I feel like you've seen me swaying drunkenly to "Felicita", sweaty, shirt half unbuttoned, my huge pendant swinging rhythmically, in that Huma nightclub...
Yes, well, I'm not ashamed to have a History.

And yes, I still like pizza.

when I had it on my ipod the tracks from ROT where twice as loud as anything else, was it recorded during the 'loudness wars'? Also Flibberty, I don't think he saved the album, it's not very good, although Life is a Pigsty is fantastic. Christian Dior, another B-side was also pretty good.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom