Tony Visconti - My top 6 productions - Team Rock

Tony Visconti: My Top 6 productions - Team Rock

Includes Ringleader Of The Tormentors

Nice words from Tony, even after the Kristeen fallout and what was said back then.

Excerpt:

MorrisseyRingleader Of The Tormentors (2006)

“The one and only Morrissey album that I produced. The title alone is fantastic, and I assume that Morrissey is the ringleader who is tormenting us. That album, like "Heroes", was done in a very special place. It was recorded in Rome, and like David, Morrissey brought Rome into the studio. The songs were written about Rome, all of us were doing things in Rome, we'd go out to have dinner together at Italian restaurants, I don't drink, so I wouldn't join Morrissey and the band when they would go to nightclubs, but everyone was completely immersing themselves in the city.

The atmosphere in the studio while making the album was such that what ever you were doing you were constantly reminded that you were in Rome, and a lot of references to Rome got into the lyrics. We even got the great Ennio Morricone to do the strings on Dear God, Please Help Me which was just fantastic. So that was quite an amazing album and I'm also proud that I made it sound retro, which was on purpose, I think Morrissey wanted it to sound like a Tony Visconti production rather than a modern production where everything is loud and in your face, so I recorded that album with sensitivity in mind.

He would just be in ecstasy every day. Every day that he showed up in the studio he would listen to what I had been doing earlier in the day with Boz (Boorer), Jesse (Tobias) and Alain (Whyte), the three guitarists on the album, and he just approved of everything, and I'd heard that he could be a cruel taskmaster. If he didn't like you, you'd be sacked in five seconds. I endured the length of the album, and it's an album that I'm very proud of. Unfortunately, two of the best tracks were released as B-sides. One was Ganglord, I wish Ganglord was on that album, there was also a song called Sweetie-Pie, I got Kristeen Young to sing backing vocals on that, they were two controversial titles that, if they had been included, would have made it a better album. But in all, the whole experience with Ringleader was something that I shall never forget.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes ! Alain Whyte !
They missed him when he'd gone didn't they :guitar: LOL :laughing:

Steven and his silly lawnmower backing band are now reduced to being nothing more than a tribute act :rofl:tour whoring and stinking out any old venue they can in Steven's twilight shitmas years.
That top cat Martin absolutely ruined Steven and his career.
Had the autism been managed properly I'm sure things could have been so very different and we wouldn't be up to our neck in the shitties :pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop:.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

when I had it on my ipod the tracks from ROT where twice as loud as anything else, was it recorded during the 'loudness wars'? Also Flibberty, I don't think he saved the album, it's not very good, although Life is a Pigsty is fantastic. Christian Dior, another B-side was also pretty good.
I beg to differ. I think it's a beautiful album, even with the muddy mix it has sonically. I love the acoustic vibe it has and it's my favourite of the 3 albums pre World Peace... Alain Whyte has some gorgeous compositions on it. And the B sides are lovely also.

' they were two controversial titles that, if they had been included, would have made it a better album. '

what's he mean by 'controversial' ?

I'd first have guessed controversial given Ganglord's theme, but then there's nothing controversial about Sweetie Pie's. So i can only guess then he means they were controversial in the confines of the band/management etc. Some people wanted them on the album, some people didn't. Maybe it was a controversial opinion within the group to want them on the album.

But agreed with some in here that it is one of my least favourite produced album of Morrissey's. I can see what they were going for, but I don't think it was pulled off well. It sounds cheap, muddy, dulled/blunted. WPINOYB might sound really modern, but I like the crispness to it. The fact it has such a rich, full sound, every instrument is brought to the fore when need's be. ROTT just sounds bland/flat now. Which is a shame because there are some interesting things going on in some of the songs which you can sort of hear and it's a shame they weren't brought out a little more.

Ah yes ! Alain Whyte !
Had the autism been managed properly I'm sure things could have been so very different and we wouldn't be up to our neck in the shitties :pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop::pileofpoop:.

Please seek help for this exact same issue. You having a go at Morrissey for being autistic is like a fat person having a go at another fat person for being fat.

It's a beautiful album, even with the muddy mix it has sonically.

The songs stand very well live, from the start I've always listened to them with the Rock'am'ring German cd. Somehow, they breathe on stage, the sound was sparser. The studio version or rather the mastering for the cd was loud, in the red.

Was the mastering for the album different ? Was it made by another engineer ?

I'd first have guessed controversial given Ganglord's theme, but then there's nothing controversial about Sweetie Pie's. So i can only guess then he means they were controversial in the confines of the band/management etc. Some people wanted them on the album, some people didn't. Maybe it was a controversial opinion within the group to want them on the album.

But agreed with some in here that it is one of my least favourite produced album of Morrissey's. I can see what they were going for, but I don't think it was pulled off well. It sounds cheap, muddy, dulled/blunted. WPINOYB might sound really modern, but I like the crispness to it. The fact it has such a rich, full sound, every instrument is brought to the fore when need's be. ROTT just sounds bland/flat now. Which is a shame because there are some interesting things going on in some of the songs which you can sort of hear and it's a shame they weren't brought out a little more.

Yeah world peace has a really nice clarity to it. Out of all the songs production mastering wise whatever Christian Dior sounds the best imo

Well,she sounds like a prick, so I wouldn't be surprised. Calling him 'some dickhead' and 'dude', I assume she doesn't even know who Visconti is or the records he has produced. Not that that matters considering the music she's involved in,she has already lost. Though she could have used a little tact.

Having said that, he could be wrong and it is her voice more or less. Visconti could just be judging the state of pop 'music' in general where most of the vocals are highly processed, from autotune novelty to pitch correction.

Of course she knows who he is you daft c***

Tony is well known as the biggest leach in music business .
The Bowie gravy train has ended bar remasters and his tribute shows. He's back looking for other victims.
As a producer the guy is very middle of the road - Bowie used him again as he was local.
Morrissey ( like most people) hated the production on his lp too muddy.
Tony tries to present himself as an " artists " producer he isn't.
He's an able producer and that's it.
Tony is used to be a judge at the Grammys and is making a Pop idol show for guitarits, yes that's after moaning about pop idol.

Kristeen is touring with the ugly ones from girl in a coma and playing to 10 people

f*** these pathetic two off. Disgusting people

"Ganglord" sounded so rugged and rough on "Who Put the M in Manchester." Visconti's production cut the balls off it.

Maybe he should've recorded it in Dubly.

Damn I wish that David Bowie could have been able to complete the last album. The band that he found for Blackstar sounds so good and I can only imagine what they would have continued to create together.

Please seek help for this exact same issue. You having a go at Morrissey for being autistic is like a fat person having a go at another fat person for being fat.

You having a pop at me for telling it as it is ! You'll be telling me he's not gay next :eek:
He's a CrankFraud and deep down all you Tosserrey Bots know it. He's told you he's not the man you think he is, all the clues are in the songs.
Believe me ! Steve is on the spectrum big time.

Isn't it the case that Visconti came late in the game anyway, or did I hear wrong?

Yep your right. The very first tell tale sign that Martin was full of shit and couldn't cut the mustard, from here on it was all down hill.
Oh Martin ! So much to answer for ! (Yes boss !) :mock:

I'm glad Visconti has fond memories. Too bad the vocals on Tormentors are recorded in a way that sounds like Morrissey is trapped in an underground well.

The Bowie gravy train has ended bar remasters and his tribute shows. He's back looking for other victims.
As a producer the guy is very middle of the road - Bowie used him again as he was local.
Tony is used to be a judge at the Grammys and is making a Pop idol show for guitarits, yes that's after moaning about pop idol.

Kristeen is touring with the ugly ones from girl in a coma and playing to 10 people

What a crock. There is no record of Morrissey saying anything but glowing comments about the production of ROTT. It's only us fans that have bothered to comment about it's muddy sound. Please show us where Morrissey has made these comments.

You having a pop at me for telling it as it is ! You'll be telling me he's not gay next :eek:
He's a CrankFraud and deep down all you Tosserrey Bots know it. He's told you he's not the man you think he is, all the clues are in the songs.
Believe me ! Steve is on the spectrum big time.

I'm telling it like it is too, you're unhealthily obsessed. There's a difference between telling it like it is and what you're doing. You're worse than he is with his mentioning of the royals at every chance.

All you seem to do is sit around hammering the F5 key for something new to comment on. And if you can't get something from whatever is posted you'll stretch to bring up some irrelevant thing to have a go at. We get it, we know Morrissey be a broken record, we know he can be inconsistent with things he says. You aren't getting some sort of medal for pointing shit out over and over and over.

Actually maybe you are from the people who run this site, but that's another issue

I'm glad Visconti has fond memories. Too bad the vocals on Tormentors are recorded in a way that sounds like Morrissey is trapped in an underground well.

Who's to say he wasn't? Like a scene out of Silence of the Lambs with Morrissey in the well and Visconti at the top saying:

MCajriC.gif

I heard the air is very dry in Rome so moisturizing makes good sense...plus one has to suffer to create good art! :mask: Hello Clarice

Tony Visconti is a dickwad. Any excuse to mention wretched KY! You're a loser Tony!
He is a famous producer who has worked with some of the most talented artists in music. He is going out with an attractive person. He's rich. He looks well for his age. And yet somehow an anonymous person playing alone with his computer says he is a loser. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

"Ganglord" sounded so rugged and rough on "Who Put the M in Manchester." Visconti's production cut the balls off it.

Maybe he should've recorded it in Dubly.

You must have a different version of "Who Put the M in Manchester" than the rest of us.

It's called guitar star.
So no need for Martin and Jesse to enter :guitar:

Tony Visconti is a genius. And Dear God, Please Help Me is totally wonderful.

Yea I think tony Visconti is a great music producer 2, hes one of the best in the world, this man knows whats hes doing!
He produces kristeens work, shes wonderfully talented and writes all her own music and stuff!:)

And her vocals? what can one say? I cant do her justice, just absolutely beautifull !

But its just a shame your not really taken with her music ect , but dont worry, u will get you there in the end!!!
:thumb:

Well thats just being silly isnt it?

Im quite sure there wud of been at least 1 or 2 more people in the audience than just 10!

Shes a super star ! she could sell out wembly stadium for fun if she wanted 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
He is a famous producer who has worked with some of the most talented artists in music. He is going out with an attractive person. He's rich. He looks well for his age. And yet somehow an anonymous person playing alone with his computer says he is a loser. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Well said !

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom