Tonight I spent 2 hours in the company of John Maher of Wythenshawe..

Oooohhh, I feel wounded. WOUNDED. Just because someone who pays me money decided to leave your jurisdiction. I might change that signature, though. Beer sometime though.

Peter

Your avatar has a bigger frown than usual, I must say.

Anyway, how can I talk? My home has an LS postcode, but I'll never be a loiner.

A beer or 7 would be good - don't quite know when to fit it in though. As you may have gathered recently, my absence has been due to distractions - you know, the usual stuff, court appearances, time in the big house, that kind of thing....anyway, I'll let you suggest dates, but we better continue this via email I guess.

Cheers for the SLC pics + links too - a great day it seems.

To be with him. or for him to remain "a complete gentleman"?

Omygawd, I was laughing out loud at this :D Folks in the office are probably wondering about my sanity at this point ...

Hey Ghost, are you the man whose wife met Morrissey several years back in a Dublin store?

Last edited:
I'm in Dublin.
And yes, it was Mrs.Ghost who met Morrissey back in 1997.
Some more stuff I am recalling from the interview, not 100% accurate, just relying on aging memory cells...

JM had no time for Britpop. He said there was a snobbish element amongst the British or English press towards American music. And anything that involved flag-waving was not a good idea.

His favourite current music is mostly American/Canadian. Mentioned Broken Social Scene, Feist etc.

Was asked about "Morrissey & Marr:The Severed Alliance" and
Morrissey's famous "motorway pile-up" comment. He read the book and described it as "cynical". Said he and people connected to him were asked questions by Rogan and they were uniformly "cynical". He used this word QUITE a lot in reference to Rogan! Also, something along the lines of the book not celebrating the great times The Smiths had as a band.

He spoke a lot about his Irish heritage. How he would stay here a lot as a child. His parents. There was always music in his house. His parents were young people, didn't really go for the stereotypical Irish music, they were into the pop music of the day. How they were practically teenagers when raising Johnny, as in very young parents.

Spoke about the beauty of a 45 single, the black vinyl, label etc. How it was an object of almost magical proportions because of what came out of that little piece of vinyl.
He went into detail about the famous Kings Road first meeting. Nothing really new that we don't already know I don't think. Also about the way he was in a band from 15(?). Also, he made some remark about the formation of The Smiths along the lines of "It was MY band", which got cheers and applause.
A lot of conversation about MM, Isaac the lead singer, a bottling incident on Isaac in Manchester, his (Isaac's) face was injured and he was in casualty.
Also, about how much his home town Manchester means to him and how he felt playing there with Modest Mouse.

Now I wish I had got one of those fancy little recording devices on the night. But I'm still a bit of a Luddite in these matters.

I might recall a few more morsels. If so, will post.

Thank you very much Old Sib, we'd like to heear about more. :)

Pity none of you didn't inform us about the event in advance. :(

Thanks again for the recap.

Kind of disappointing to read that Johnny called The Smiths "my band", but at the same time I think a few years back Morrissey was quoted to the effect that he was playing The Smiths songs on his solo tours because in his mind they belonged to him and no one else.

Once again it's a striking reminder of how unlikely the pairing of Morrissey and Marr was to begin with.

Thank you very much Old Sib, we'd like to heear about more. :)

Pity none of you didn't inform us about the event in advance. :(

Are you in Dublin, Kewpie?
It was very much kept quiet, I don't think deliberately. It's just that it is a student society and, whilst they let the general public in if you join the society, it was 95 % students, I would estimate. I was amongst the oldest few there.
I only found out the weekend before the event. I should perhaps have posted it here. But I hardly ever post here these days. Apologies to those who could have attended.

I'm afraid I live in London.
If I knew about it in advance I'd travelled to Dublin.
This kind of events aren't normally publicised, you're very lucky.

Thanks again for the recap.

Kind of disappointing to read that Johnny called The Smiths "my band", but at the same time I think a few years back Morrissey was quoted to the effect that he was playing The Smiths songs on his solo tours because in his mind they belonged to him and no one else.

Once again it's a striking reminder of how unlikely the pairing of Morrissey and Marr was to begin with.

Morrissey actually said they were more his than anyone elses. Slightly different emphasis there.

I'm fortunate enough to have met Johnny at an Interpol gig in Manchester in December 2004 and true to form he was absolutely lovely.

We talked about 'The Queen Is Dead' and he agreed with me that it was their best work. Spoke about Moz's band and his thoughts on their live take on HSIN. He said they did a good job, but it was easier due to the technology these days. He signed a couple of scraps and wished me a happy christmas, and I was delighted.

Lovely bloke, for a city fan. :D

not you..old sib..

A lot of conversation about MM, Isaac the lead singer, a bottling incident on Isaac in Manchester, his (Isaac's) face was injured and he was in casualty.

are you serious??

aww, so im assuming johnny also spoke about his collab with bernard sumner with electronic? :D

sounds like you has a very great time! thanks for sharing it with us. johnny is definitely one of a kind. :)

I am of the honest opinion that Marr and Rourke would be more the guys that you could hang out with as a regular people. You could have regular conversations as if they were anyone else. I have this sneaking idea that Morrissey would be a little more boring unless he was good and drunk and talkative.

Glad I read this thread after reading the Q interview from Johnny's website (just yesterday!) Ghost actually had some interesting things to add to the article. Thanks for sharing!

I was also excited to read that the next Healers album would be more 'jingly-jangly'!

article from his website

I was also excited to read that the next Healers album would be more 'jingly-jangly'!
[/URL]

is there a new healers album planned? really?isnt he fully occupied with modest mouse now? didnt he move to america(portland)? he said so in one interview recently

Back
Top Bottom