Tonight I spent 2 hours in the company of John Maher of Wythenshawe..

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2008 (read-only)' started by I am a Ghost, Oct 3, 2007.

1. I am a Ghost

I am a Ghost New Member

and he is an absolute gentleman.

2. Amy

Amy from the Ice Age to the dole age

And how did you manage that one? :D

3. SNS22

SNS22 Not Dead Yet

To be with him. or for him to remain "a complete gentleman"?

4. I am a Ghost

I am a Ghost New Member

Well, Amy, he was presented with a medal by the Philosophical Society of Trinity College, Dublin.
    So there was a big interview and a Q and A session.
    Then he signed "Strangeways" for me and the eponymous "Electronic" album. Plus a photo that my mate made a ruin of.
    He is a lovely guy.
    Some Morrissey and Smiths references during the interview.

5. Amy

Amy from the Ice Age to the dole age

lol, it's nice that he signed 'Strangeways', I wouldn't have expected that. Did he say anything nice about Moz?

6. Musings

Musings Ubermember

I want to hear everything about it, ghost, and don't leave out a thing. Ithankyou. :D

7. kissmyshadestoo

kissmyshadestoo Cheeky Defendant

You should know "us" better than that to provide such little details. C'mon.....details...details!

8. I am a Ghost

I am a Ghost New Member

I'll try and remember as much as I can...
    One of his first remarks was that he was happy to be in Trinity, site of an early Smiths gig, and "ONE of the band members was thrilled "cos Oscar Wilde studied there"!

Someone asked him if he was ever disappointed with a Morrissey lyric for music he had provided and he mentioned again "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" as a piece he was proud of, but the lyrics worked.

Mentioned the Smiths box set. No new songs, just good mixes, but great live recordings of gigs which might be issued. But "political stuff" going on that might prevent the set being issued.

Someone asked him "Have you forgiven Jesus"? Pause. Laughter from all. Wry smile, then "Yes, totally." More laughter.

He was asked again about the legendary Marr/Moz first meeting. Someone said it was rumoured that Morrissey was eating muffins when they met. Then a girl said "So is Morrissey a muffin eater then"? more laughter. But he basically gave the well-known account of the first meeting, the bus journey, the Marvelettes record, all the usual. But he made the famous "Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" comment of "print the legend". Mentioned that M and M wrote "Suffer Little Children" that first night.

referenced Tony Wilson and factory and The Smiths were never going to sign for Factory as they regarded them as the old guard. The mythical story about Wilson not liking them because of the way they stood was pure crap.

spoke warmly of Wilson and after The Smiths first TOTP appearence travelling back to the Hacienda for a manic Beatles like gig withWilson introducing them.

Spoke of Kirsty McCall and all his collaborators, including Morrissey.

Mostly the interview was about all but Morrissey and The Smiths. When that period came up, he was happy to talk about it. But moreso Modest Mouse, David Byrne and Talking Heads, the The etc.

i will recall more tomorrow, now I'm tired.

But he is a top bloke.

9. Musings

Musings Ubermember

aw, thanks ghost, it was sweet of you to type all of this up for us and tell us the story. :) I enjoyed it.

10. This charming man.

This charming man. Throbbing member.

Shhish I thought you meant the Buzzcocks' drummer then.
    Only jokin'. Although I am a huge 'cocks fan.
    Brilliant read. Cheers for posting it;)

Don't like the political bit 'bout the impending release though.:confused:

11. Gin N Tonic Jil

Gin N Tonic Jil New Member

FUCKIN AWESOME!! Hands down, Johnny really is the cool/super nice guitar heroe. Ghost kudos for the play by play of this interview with the man himself. I met him back during his Boomslang tour and after his gig at the VIP party, he just parked it at my table, singed a ton a shit for me, and chatted about everything under the moon and stars, like Id known him for years. I assure all of you, Mr. Marr is the real deal....Power to the people Johnny :cool:

12. Wild Oscar

Wild Oscar Born-again Atheist

Ghost

Can I join the others in thanking you for sharing this with us.

I was going to ask why he was invited to attend your event but have just found a bit of info on the TCB site - about the society being a debating forum etc, and "not particularly philosophical in orientation."

So, was the medal for something specific, and did he take part in a formal debate - i.e. proposing and opposing a motion - or was the interview and Q&A the official part of his visit?

Sorry to push you on this, but like KissMyShades says, every detail is required.

Thank you in advance.

13. Skinner

Skinner RIP The Rev

Show off! ;)

14. Worm

Worm Taste the diffidence

Thanks for the report!

What was the medal for? Obviously some kind of honorary award but I'm curious about the details. Why is the Philosophical Society honoring Johnny Marr?

15. dothewatusi

dothewatusi Member

Ghost, thanks for your post. JM is a top bloke. Any pics to share?

16. the judge

the judge New Member

Yeah, I'm curious too.
    I'm so happy. :)

17. Old Sib

Old Sib New Member

my mate made a complete balls of the pic of me and johnny, the one i took of him was ok though. plus some long shots of johnny, i'll try and post them off me phone tomorrow.
    the medal is just an honoroary thing. helen mirren is on on thursday!
    they had al pacino last year.
    there was no proposing of motions stuff in regard to johnny.
    there was an award of a personally signed guitar by johnny to the winner of a guitar competition who played a little. all very nice.
    i have nothing to do with trinity. i'm surprised they even let a working class lad like me over the threshold :)
    i will remember more details and post them here later.
    glad the post is appreciated, thanks for the thanks :)

18. Uncleskinny

Uncleskinny It's all good Subscriber

Oooh, sounds like a great time. Any pics to post?

Peter

19. Wild Oscar

Wild Oscar Born-again Atheist

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but...Pete - I'm back, by the way - I'm very disappointed in you.

Your signature now belies your new professional domicile, does it not?

It should now read: "Bradford? Surely not!"

At least, we got the letter saying everything's 'upped sticks' and gone to Horsforth at your place. Is it too strong to call you a loiner now?!!

20. Uncleskinny

Uncleskinny It's all good Subscriber

Oooohhh, I feel wounded. WOUNDED. Just because someone who pays me money decided to leave your jurisdiction. I might change that signature, though. Beer sometime though.

Peter