to lie or not to lie.....

Is keeping a secret lying?

• Total voters

slum mum 1974

A question for you.......Is keeping a secret lying?

OOooooo someone feels guity......is that why you started this thread!!!!!!

1). did yer snog anyone @ S&G?

2). yer having more babies?

3). it's another holiday?

4). yer bought more morrissey stuff?

All depends..will it hurt someome to tell or prevent hurt by not telling?

keep it like a secret. you guys remember this built to spill album?

if a friend has entrusted you with a secret you gotta keep that shit close to you.

friends are rad.

OOooooo someone feels guity......is that why you started this thread!!!!!!

1). did yer snog anyone @ S&G?

2). yer having more babies?

3). it's another holiday?

4). yer bought more morrissey stuff?

1). NO, i did not, and i am offended you would think that. I am saving my kiss for you, when i see you there.
2). NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY
3). Maybe
4). DEFINITELY but that's not it, i always do that:D

Tell us your secret. That is more interesting than the poll :)

Can't.....

All depends..will it hurt someome to tell or prevent hurt by not telling?

Nope

keep it like a secret. you guys remember this built to spill album?

if a friend has entrusted you with a secret you gotta keep that shit close to you.

friends are rad.

It's not a friends secret it's all mine. I wouldn't blab to anyone if a friend entrusted me with something they needed to get off their chest and be kept a secret

surprise parties are secrets that should be kept. but i hate surprises like that, so to me it'd be a lie LOLOL

Even though I am a hidious gossip and can have a big gob, if I am told a secret, it stays a secret. if I promise not to tell, I don't. I'm very, very loyal (ie, i only gossip about minor stuff! :D )

Personally if it`s going to make life easier and the repercussions are not of the dire kind I`d plump for a big fat porker.Self preservation is my motto from now on.I have been so badly let down by the entire human race that I`m finding it harder daily not to be a miserable old cynic.:)

i remember, in 1987, steve said, in an interview, "i lie a lot. it's really useful". i think you people really need to have a long, hard look at yourselves.

i remember, in 1987, steve said, in an interview, "i lie a lot. it's really useful". i think you people really need to have a long, hard look at yourselves.

Grrr...if you call Morrissey "Steve" again, I'll give you time out! :D

Why am I the only person who voted that Keeping a secrete is Lying?

You've all got Bill Clinton mentalitites. :p

Why is keeping a secret a lie?

If my wife tells me "I have a secret...I like to read trashy novels"

Where's the lie?

Keeping a secrete (secretion?) now that is something else entirely.

we're all secreting right now! many different secretions! Wanna hear about them I AM in anatomy and physiology 2 now, not just 1 thats so elementary.

I have decided (took my time to think about this one!) that keeping a secret is miles away from lying - but you hvae to be carefull not to let the secret make you lie......

It's like this. If someone askes questions about the subject, you are faced with a dilema - Do I break the secret or not. No, there is no need ti lie in order to keep the secret - just say "Can't talk about it" perhaps make a joke "If I do my leg will fall off"! OK - the problem is that the person now knows you have a secret, but you have neither lied nor told them the secret, so you are OK.

If it is important to hide the fact you even have a secret, this may not work, but still, you can answer questions by telling truths which are related, but don't give you away. This is not lying, it is avoiding the subject.

Mum. - "Was your brother out getting drunk again last week end?"
Answer - "There were loads of people out drinking, I couldn't keep track of everyone there"

Your answer was the truth, and you still kept the required information hidden without having to lie!

(Does all this make me look bad?) LOL

The only time you are faced with this dilema is if you get asked a direct question "Did you see your brother standing at the bar with a glass of beer in his hand" - not many ways arround that one. You can only say yes or no. I would not be able to lie in this situation, ANYONE would be able to see I was lying, I'm not good at it!

Keeping a secret is not lying.

But you might feel you have to lie to keep it hidden, and I'm sure that most of the time there are ways to avoid this.

If you have to lie to keep a sevret - it had better be worth it, you know, like a realy serious secret! A little lie to keep a big secret is justifyable in my mind. A big lie to hide a little secret would be wrong.

It's all a matter of degree, I think?

:)

I have decided (took my time to think about this one!) that keeping a secret is miles away from lying
:)

good for you, on the whole thinking-it-through, sir.

technically speaking, i think you're right: keeping a secret isn't lying, but i think your approach is a bit lawyerly. what i mean is that it's a bit too narrow. (i don't want to sound all holier-than-thou, or anything, 'cause everybody tells the occasional lie and keeps secrets.) the purpose of telling a lie or keeping a secret is the same. it is to hide the truth, or to deceive. sometimes it's justifiable and sometimes it isn't.

(i sound very serious, this morning!)

technically speaking, i think you're right: keeping a secret isn't lying, but i think your approach is a bit lawyerly. what i mean is that it's a bit too narrow. (i don't want to sound all holier-than-thou, or anything, 'cause everybody tells the occasional lie and keeps secrets.) the purpose of telling a lie or keeping a secret is the same. it is to hide the truth, or to deceive. sometimes it's justifiable and sometimes it isn't.

Though, obviously, we tell each other everything! (or something... :p ;) )

Thank you.

It's OK, I'm sure it won't last!

To hide the truth or deceive - mmmmm - Unavoidable truth. I'll have to think some more. I suppose it depends what the secret is?

Have we made any progress on the nature of the secret?

Sometimes it's nice to keep a secret, like with Christmas presents.....:D

That sound you hear is my brain trying to process.......:rolleyes:

Though, obviously, we tell each other everything! (or something... :p ;) )

yes, yes, we do, darling. of course. you are absolutely right.

Back
Top Bottom