To all those wonderful authors

Ok, so here it is:

My creative writing at school has moved away from poetry and onto the clasic British novel. We have to simply write on opening chapter for our coursework assignment, but I do not know what to include.

I have a couple of good ideas but not too sure of the aim of an opening chapter apart from to 'make the reader feel the need to read further'.

I guess it has to therefore be exciting but then I am lost

Any help...any great novel writers out there?

Ok, so here it is:

My creative writing at school has moved away from poetry and onto the clasic British novel. We have to simply write on opening chapter for our coursework assignment, but I do not know what to include.

I have a couple of good ideas but not too sure of the aim of an opening chapter apart from to 'make the reader feel the need to read further'.

I guess it has to therefore be exciting but then I am lost

Any help...any great novel writers out there?
well, I'm not an expert, but I think the first chapter should be a scene setter, an introduction to the main characters, with maybe an event happening towards the end.

Thanks for this advice, I am trying currently of how best to introduce the characters. It certainly shouldn't be overpowering and throw in a ridiculous amount. Better to have a few detailed characters than many poorly constructed ones.

Next to start working on a good, unexpected occurance.

Love PTxx.

Your first sentence has to be very attention-grabbing. I always like it when authors write and I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about or where the story is going. It makes things interesting and makes me want to read further.

I always though the Harry Potter novels had very, very good openings.

Your first sentence has to be very attention-grabbing. I always like it when authors write and I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about or where the story is going. It makes things interesting and makes me want to read further.

I always though the Harry Potter novels had very, very good openings.

Good idea Cassius, I have only read the first two Harry Potter books :o and then just kind of forget about the rest. One day I shall read them all (obviously not in the same day)

Love PTxx.

Have you seen a book which is called something like "'Twas a dark and stormy night" with examples of the very worst opening paragraphs for a book. Hilarious and offering an object lesson on what not to do.

Back
Top Bottom