Tinkling the old Joanna: what’s Morrissey’s best piano/keyboard dominated song?

What is Morrissey's best guitar-free (or rather, piano/keyboard dominated) song?

• Total voters

Maurice E

Is it any coincidence that many of Morrissey’s finest songs occupy a (largely) guitar-free zone?
Speaking personally, I (myself) only wish he’d do more.
But which, in your humble opinion, is the best?
Poll to follow!

Last edited:
Re: Tinkling the old joanna; what’s Morrissey’s best piano/keyboard dominated song?

I've Changed My Plea To Guilty:thumb:

Peter

Re: Tinkling the old joanna; what’s Morrissey’s best piano/keyboard dominated song?

Does A Rush and a Push... count or is it solo only?

heh.. I didn't even see the poll.. i had to scroll up.

I voted for a Rush and A Push but Such a Little Thing, Piccadilly Palare, Come Back To Camden and Friday Mourning are all songs I could have just as easily voted for.

What about 'Dear God Please Help Me'? :tears:
I voted for 'Trouble Loves Me' :thumb:

oh, is 'Dear God' quite piano/keyboardy?
I was so traumatised by the awfulness of 'kegs between legs' that I've hardly ever listened to the song!

PS sorry to hear you're simply wasting your time in here. any reason?

oh, is 'Dear God' quite piano/keyboardy?
I was so traumatised by the awfulness of 'kegs between legs' that I've hardly ever listened to the song!

Aww :o I lerrv 'Dear God Please Help Me' :blushing: And if you've only listened to that much, then you should know, for the piano/organ is the only instrument up to those lyrics :lbf:

PS sorry to hear you're simply wasting your time in here. any reason?

I honestly have no idea. I think I have a problem :lbf:

Well observed, you're very right.

I've gone for 'I've Changed My Plea To Guilty' solely because of his live performance on Jonathan Ross show many moons ago when his quiff was at it's most gravity defying. Although Asleep, Trouble Loves Me, A Rush And A Push and Piccadilly Palare are all joint 2nd

This was a toughy. I LOVE I've Changed Me Plea, but for some reason I voted for Asleep - just something about that song that is more haunting, and deep, and dark. The music is more involved and fits the mood amazingly well.

so despite a number of quality compositions from Marr, Street, Whyte etc, it's Mark Nevin's that gets the most votes (altho King Leer hasn't fared so well!). his post Kill Uncle stuff was getting really good, wasn't it? I read somewhere that he didn't realise that Moz wanted him to provide effectively complete pieces of music until later in their songwriting partnership.

what is it about keyboard-based songs that seems to result in higher quality material? my guess is that it's much easier to get away with writing mediocre songs when using a generic indie guitar arrangement. three or four chords, an indistinct guitar line, a couple of vague melodies and there you have it; Father Must Be Killed! (and countless other post-Vauxhall solo songs).
when a song is based around a piano part, perhaps the backing track demands a stronger melody from its composer...

Last edited:
really people? I've changed my plea to guilty :confused:
I mean, I love that song too, but cmon A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours is like one of his best songs ever :straightface:
anyways, I need some coffee now
leave.gif

This was haaaaaaaaard. They're all really good for loads of different reasons. I went for asleep in the end because of the sheer piano simplicity beauty. But rush & a push is obviously up there for being so key-led and brilliant. Trouble Loves Me is a great piano ballad. I've changed my plea, Christian Dior all perfect... they're all good. all of them.

Asleep. Something so taboo made so perfect. It is an art and human beauty in it's purest form. :blushing:

Wait, I think I've changed my mind. Asleep?

What's the super-Piano-y instrumental one? Title escapes me right now, irritatingly. I guess the lack of lyrics will make that happen. Anyway, I likes it.

Back
Top Bottom