Tim's Twitter Listening Party - "Strangeways, Here We Come" with Stephen Street (Sep. 28, 2020)

It’s funny though ...

I remember reading somewhere that Devoto had to keep turning the reverb down every time Hannett tried to turn it up. :lbf:

In someways, I think Secondhand Daylight sounds closer to that trademark Hannett sound, even though he wasn’t involved.

He was certainly a maverick, this scene from 24hr party people captures his brilliance and his demons.

Not sure if this link has been shared, but you can replay the party in real time here...

He was certainly a maverick, this scene from 24hr party people captures his brilliance and his demons.

True.

Never liked that film though.

"Death at one's elbow" is one of my least favorite Smiths songs but the rest of the album is incredible from start to finish. "I won't share you" is pure magic.

What didn't you like about it?

It’s a period piece, it just doesn’t look right. Guess they didn’t have much of a budget ? don’t know.

Thought Control did a better job of it.

It’s funny though ...

I remember reading somewhere that Devoto had to keep turning the reverb down every time Hannett tried to turn it up. :lbf:

In someways, I think Secondhand Daylight sounds closer to that trademark Hannett sound, even though he wasn’t involved.
I believe that. Hannett is on record as claiming "The Correct Use of Soap" was his favorite record that he ever worked on.

It’s a period piece, it just doesn’t look right. Guess they didn’t have much of a budget ? don’t know. Thought Control did a better job of it.

Hook says some of it was made up and it was actually a bit tame compared to what really went on. I agree with you about Control, that was a very moving film as it portrayed Ian's challenges in a way that I think most people could appreciate.

Hook says some of it was made up and it was actually a bit tame compared to what really went on. I agree with you about Control, that was a very moving film as it portrayed Ian's challenges in a way that I think most people could appreciate.
The film Control was so bad it was virtually a joke.

Well it's all about opinions isn't it, most people on here (apart from your racist mate Hoffman) think you're a joke.
I'm not into popularity contests, but if you think Control was a good film you are either not a Joy Division fan or need your brain tested.

I believe that. Hannett is on record as claiming "The Correct Use of Soap" was his favorite record that he ever worked on.

Didn’t know that.

Well, all 4 Magazine albums are brilliant, especially the first 3.

Secondhand Daylight and The Correct Use are my favorites.

Some of the Devoto solo stuff is great too ...

I'm not into popularity contests, but if you think Control was a good film you are either not a Joy Division fan or need your brain tested.

Yep, it was an interesting portrayal of what happened with Ian so yes it was good from that respect, it was also accurate according to Peter Hook.

Yep, it was an interesting portrayal of what happened with Ian so yes it was good from that respect, it was also accurate according to Peter Hook.
The main actor was wrong. He never had an ounce of Ian's intensity. He didn't even have blue eyes. These things are pretty important in a film as it's a visual experience. Ian had the icy eyes of a prophet who has lived through many different times. The actor seemed immature whereas Ian was extremely mature for his age in so many ways. So many integral pointers were overlooked.

Last edited:

It’s not a good film, but as far as biopics go, it’s not that bad.

It generally lacked intensity which is what Joy Division was all about.

24 Party People on the other hand was mainly about Tony Wilson and captured his essence in a really watchable and comical way. It was a brilliant film in that it succeeded in what it set out to do.

Control seemed wrong on every level.

The main actor was wrong. He never had an ounce of Ian's intensity. He didn't even have blue eyes. These things are pretty important in a film as it's a visual experience. Ian had the icy eyes of a prophet who has lived through many different times. The actor seemed immature whereas Ian was extremely mature for his age in so may ways. So may integral pointers were overlooked.

It was a black and white film so not sure the colour of the actors eyes mattered that much. As I said Peter Hook said it was an accurate reflection on what happened.

It was a black and white film so not sure the colour of the actors eyes mattered that much. As I said Peter Hook said it was an accurate reflection on what happened.
All those iconic B&W photos featuring Ian's eyes show a striking iciness that was not reflected in the clumsly actor that portrayed him. Ian's blue eyes were so light they were almost see through. In a visual film things like that are important.

Sometimes the people involved are not the best critics. They tend to be the most biased.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom