Tim's Twitter Listening Party - "Strangeways, Here We Come" with Stephen Street (Sep. 28, 2020)

So sad and only confirms that the Smiths split was needless and could have been avoided if they had all had a long rest and a proper conversation about the managerial issues. Johnny has contradicted himself so much though - he says this, then in later years says "I left because I had a load of ideas and nowhere to play them...", etc. I can't help feeling that his strange sense of liberation was because he knew he was going to drop the bomb when it was over. The tragic thing is that Moz didn't think he was serious.
Yeah, he has contradicted himself a lot over the years. I don't buy the whole "creative differences" BS. Strangeways is by far their most experimental and varied album and they were all perfectly happy with it. Morrissey clearly didn't mind Marr's new musical input.

Morrissey mentions the trouble with lawyers and accountants that started to overwhelm them (especially Johnny, I suppose) towards the end of the recording sessions and Street confirmed that things started to go wrong when Johnny wanted Friedman as manager, something Morrissey clearly didn't agree with.

So when are we going to get the Streatham Sessions Listening Party?

í wanna hear aaaall about that :yum:

"Surprise, Surprise, the unexpected hits you between the eyes..."

So when are we going to get the Streatham Sessions Listening Party?

í wanna hear aaaall about that :yum:

"Surprise, Surprise, the unexpected hits you between the eyes..."

Hasn't this year been cruel enough already?

jfc 33 years?! my first intro into the world of morrissey. the opening of this album is so brilliant and haunting at the same time. i can always press play in my head to listen to it. looking forward to stephen street's insight on this one. thank you for the head's up.

this, exactly, for me as well. first music I ever heard by the Smiths was the opening notes of A Rush and A Push from a cassette my cousin had. It's forever stamped in my mind.

It's true, but The Smiths are way too lively for Hannett. They were the antithesis of that cold Factory sound.

and that’s something M&Marr wanted to move away from.

But for Joy Division, Hannett was a god send, and for us too.

and that’s something M&Marr wanted to move away from.

But for Joy Division, Hannett was a god send, and for us too.
Stock aitkin and Waterman should have produced Strangeways, they done a marvellous job with dead or Alive’s Youthquake from 85

what is street and the other twat babbling about now? :mad:

Remember readin' the lyrics for A Rush And A Push, at the end
where Moz says "Ooh, I think I'm in love - Urrgh, I think I'm in
lerv" and thinkin' Moz was playin' with words when he said "lerv".
Turns out, accordin' to the Urban Dictionary, lerv is another word
for love, but lerv is a meanin' of love where the emotion is of
friendship and not romance.

So sad and only confirms that the Smiths split was needless and could have been avoided if they had all had a long rest and a proper conversation about the managerial issues. Johnny has contradicted himself so much though - he says this, then in later years says "I left because I had a load of ideas and nowhere to play them...", etc. I can't help feeling that his strange sense of liberation was because he knew he was going to drop the bomb when it was over. The tragic thing is that Moz didn't think he was serious.

The Smiths split was unavoidable. The reason Johnny is so hard to pin down on the split is because he's too polite to say how awful Morrissey was to work with. Unless Morrissey was going to change his personality, the Smiths were destined to be a short-lived partnership. That's why there was an exit plan as early as when Joe Moss was still involved.

And Magazine!

It’s funny though ...

I remember reading somewhere that Devoto had to keep turning the reverb down every time Hannett tried to turn it up. :lbf:

In someways, I think Secondhand Daylight sounds closer to that trademark Hannett sound, even though he wasn’t involved.

The Smiths split was unavoidable. The reason Johnny is so hard to pin down on the split is because he's too polite to say how awful Morrissey was to work with. Unless Morrissey was going to change his personality, the Smiths were destined to be a short-lived partnership. That's why there was an exit plan as early as when Joe Moss was still involved.

I can imagine. Morrissey has talked about being 'hard to take', aloof, self-sabotaging, pushing people away, etc. I can see how he would be a nightmare to deal with but I think you can see, especially in his solo songs, how aspects of his personality made him really unhappy. The same hallmarks of depression, all the way through.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom