Tim's Twitter Listening Party - "Strangeways, Here We Come" with Stephen Street (Sep. 28, 2020)

jfc 33 years?! my first intro into the world of morrissey. the opening of this album is so brilliant and haunting at the same time. i can always press play in my head to listen to it. looking forward to stephen street's insight on this one. thank you for the head's up.

I inherited all The Smiths albums as a toddler because my teenage sister bought them to impress a boyfriend & then dumped them in my room. I was listening to Strangeways Here We Come & Singalong Disney.

I still remember being terrified by Death of a Disco Dancer. It was so eerie. And I sang Unhappy Birthday to my baby brother. Which nearly got them confiscated.

I just had a quick look at the comments on Twitter and I'm already tired of people telling Joyce and Street how they prefer The Queen Is Dead over Strangeways. (Or how they haven't listened to it for ages "for M*rrissey reasons".)

But kudos to Joyce for praising it so much. For me there's absolutely no debate, it's their finest hour. A perfect record.

Reckon Tim, give it up dude. Get over it! You couldn't afford to live in Moz Angeles and the California Son wouldn't give you the time of day. Stop posting man crush shitty smiths listening parties m8 tit inn nnnn nn nnnn n it.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
I inherited all The Smiths albums as a toddler because my teenage sister bought them to impress a boyfriend & then dumped them in my room. I was listening to Strangeways Here We Come & Singalong Disney.

I still remember being terrified by Death of a Disco Dancer. It was so eerie. And I sang Unhappy Birthday to my baby brother. Which nearly got them confiscated.
Morrissey sang Death of A Disco Dancer at The Barrowlands the last time he was there with a sly nod to the Bible John killings.

I listened to it this morning and I really enjoyed having the house to myself to play it loud. I still remember the excitement of buying it and also the awful thought that there wouldn't be more The Smiths albums coming out. I play them often anyway, I don't wait for an anniversary to do so. 33 years? Blind me, a prefect reminder of my age!
boy.jpg

This feels like a terrible thing to say, but I've always felt this record has a handful of the very best (like, absolute gobsmacking genius) Smiths songs and also a few of the worst...

This feels like a terrible thing to say, but I've always felt this record has a handful of the very best (like, absolute gobsmacking genius) Smiths songs and also a few of the worst...
Yes, I concur...it is a very terrible thing to say.

Yes in agreement.....Death At One's Elbow and Unhappy Birthday..... for me, B sides at best. Probably the quality of the rest of the songs make these two offerings appear to be....."not very good"

Last edited:
It’s not terrible, I feel exactly the same about this LP. Sometimes when I listen I recognise a band at the summit, at others I detect a descent well underway.

Death Of A Disco Dancer is the one for me. I draw a different emotion from it the older I get.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom