Time Travel To Start This Year?

http://news.skymania.com/2008/02/will-time-travel-begin-this-year.html

"Laws of physics dictate that time travel into the past is only possible as far as the point when the first time machine was invented. That means that any time travellers in the future will be unable to travel back earlier than 2008 - a date termed Year Zero by scientists."

"They say each particle travelling in the LHC will create a kind of shockwave that distorts space and time around it. Under certain conditions, the colliding waves will rip a hole in space and time - called a wormhole. This wormhole acts like a time tunnel that advanced civilisations might be able to manipulate to travel through and pay us a visit."

The 'ripping a hole in space and time' kind of freaked me out, the fibres in the universe being destroyed would most likely result in the earth being eternally corrupted.:confused:

Time travel would be useless without being able to go back before this year.
I mean REALLY. The only practical use for time travel is to go back and hug various people when they were at their cutest.

Also,
"They say each particle travelling in the LHC will create a kind of shockwave that distorts space and time around it. Under certain conditions, the colliding waves will rip a hole in space and time - called a wormhole. This wormhole acts like a time tunnel that advanced civilisations might be able to manipulate to travel through and pay us a visit."
Stargate, anyone?

Yes but if someone were to go back in time to 2008 wouldn't that risk putting a fringe in the time space continuum? Isn't that risky? Think about it...

back-to-the-future.jpg

http://news.skymania.com/2008/02/will-time-travel-begin-this-year.html

"Laws of physics dictate that time travel into the past is only possible as far as the point when the first time machine was invented. That means that any time travellers in the future will be unable to travel back earlier than 2008 - a date termed Year Zero by scientists."

The 'ripping a hole in space and time' kind of freaked me out, the fibres in the universe being destroyed would most likely result in the earth being eternally corrupted.:confused:

well when shall i expect future people visiting me? Shall I clean the house up? will it be today??
PS where's the time travelling device, who created it?

well when shall i expect future people visiting me? Shall I clean the house up? will it be today??
PS where's the time travelling device, who created it?

Maybe you should travel back in time to the first post and click on the link. :D

Maybe you should travel back in time to the first post and click on the link. :D

i typically have enough "portals" open on my PC and would prefer someone to just tell me about the story, thanks, i thought you knew that about me already?
I rarely click on links people supply...:p

i typically have enough "portals" open on my PC and would prefer someone to just tell me about the story, thanks, i thought you knew that about me already?
I rarely click on links people supply...:p

Well, their "science" sounds off to me. They say something like "the laws of physics dictates that you can not travel further into the past than the date that time travel was possible."

Why not?

Time travel is theoretical at this point, and they say "the laws of physics" as if the laws of physics were all completely known and understood. That's why they are doing this experiment, right? If they knew what was going to happen it would be sort of pointless.

On the other hand, if you read about similar, though somehow less dangerous experiments that have happened in the past ;) there are good reasons to be apprehensive about what they are planning to do.

They are trying to create the conditions that existed at the very beginning of the known universe, but on a small scale. Supposedly this experiment creates "mini black holes". Since black holes are, or were until very recently, theoretical and only observed by the effects they have on their surroundings, creating them doesn't sound like a great idea. We don't have a way to un-create them. There's also an idea out there that this will create a type of matter that might possibly start a chain reaction.

Lots of scientists say there is nothing to worry about. They are like the authorities in Jaws that didn't want to talk about the shark problem because it might scare the tourists away. Except this shark is potentially capable of creating "wormholes", tearing the space-time continuum.

It's all very scary and exciting, and if they manage to do what they want, I'm not sure how anyone will benefit anyway. Will it lower the price of gas? I don't know. On the other hand, like Dr Frankenstein, they may make God angry and sent the entire world spiraling inward on itself, crushing us into like teensy weensy micro-Horton Hears A Who-ville, except with lots of pain, fire, and destruction.

They are looking for "the God particle" and you don't have to have seen to many movies to wonder if this is a good idea. :eek: or :rolleyes:, you decide.

I personally think that it will probably turn out alright, but I'd like to know why something potentially so dangerous is necessary.

skip to 10:23

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom