Time to Hire a Songwriter?!

Just hoist me from the herd. I'm busy watching Morrissey crying during Please, Please, Please... on the Hollywood DVD. Morrissey doesn't go away, ever.

I'm busy remembering standing 3 feet away from him when he cried during Please, Please, Please to close the second SF Fillmore show in September 2007, the same night that he held my hand earlier.

Understood, but it begs the question: if Warner doesn't believe releasing the concert will gross sufficient profits than why not resell it back to Morrissey to recoup their investment? Either they are holding it because one day they believe it will be of value, or Morrissey has shown no interest (I suspect the latter).

Thank you for taking the time to post a listing of the items I uploaded. That was very generous of you. I would have ignored the petulant demand to prove my assertion. I know what I've uploaded speaks for itself. It got me reminiscing. There certainly was a time when I gave out every concert I had in my possession. Mr Reynolds and others started a period in which everybody brought forward what they had. Those were cool times. Corrissey, Not Right In the Head, Worm, Pregnant for the Last Time... We've lost so many true fans who wanted nothing more than to have a fun discussion and liked to debate the issues instead of this dross about, "Why isn't Morrissey a vegan?". I've found it's best not to respond to the trolls whose debating skills invariably lead to the use of profanity, and the teenage crowd.

They aren't releasing it because Morrissey put a stop to the release. Also, there are a lot of fans who wouldn't buy the DVD simply because he condemned it publicly. But I wouldn't worry too much about it...I'm sure everyone will get to experience the music from that concert sooner rather than later. As I said earlier, it is imminent.

What I would like to know is who on here has the studio version of 'Kit'...because I think I have something pretty rare and interesting to exchange for it.

Wise words, Orson. I can enjoy the songs which are musically so-so like the ones you mentioned. It's just the recent trend for clumsy, blunt and dim-witted lyrics which makes it impossible to even half-like some of the songs.
In the past, ok-ish music was compensated for by a poetic observation, an imaginative couplet etc - the shortage of those is, to my mind, at the root of the problem these days.
However, like you (and most music journalists in fact) I agree that Refusal was easily the best of the last three albums. Also, if Street was to reappear as a songwriter, I think we could still be in for some fantastic new Morrissey songs.
But if he doesn't (and judging by the 3 new songs in the live set ) I fear we could be in for a new career low-point.

I quite enjoyed what you and (mork calling) Orson said, valid points well put. I would only disagree with Jarvis being a good pop person- I have always found him quite dull (one of those "oh, look at my kooky trouser types"), Although his words are quite good at times. Of course, Morrissey has never JUST been about the "words" as such...Strange to say, I know, considering he is so good with them and has left such a mark as a wordsmith. I think its more about what he represents and how he sings and phrases. I find more poetry in one of his "La da da la de das" than I do in most peoples entire song book
I also think Kill Uncle is a very good LP ( I expect, I am only one of three in the world who thinks this). As for YOR I think that suffered as a number of the songs were already out there for a while- this taking away the element of the new... I also think Ring leaders is a great LP.

Understood, but it begs the question: if Warner doesn't believe releasing the concert will gross sufficient profits than why not resell it back to Morrissey to recoup their investment? Either they are holding it because one day they believe it will be of value, or Morrissey has shown no interest (I suspect the latter).

Thank you for taking the time to post a listing of the items I uploaded. That was very generous of you. I would have ignored the petulant demand to prove my assertion. I know what I've uploaded speaks for itself. It got me reminiscing. There certainly was a time when I gave out every concert I had in my possession. Mr Reynolds and others started a period in which everybody brought forward what they had. Those were cool times. Corrissey, Not Right In the Head, Worm, Pregnant for the Last Time... We've lost so many true fans who wanted nothing more than to have a fun discussion and liked to debate the issues instead of this dross about, "Why isn't Morrissey a vegan?". I've found it's best not to respond to the trolls whose debating skills invariably lead to the use of profanity, and the teenage crowd.

I might have contributed a bit outside the D/L section. I have answered a question or two in collectors corner and marketplace, contributed to about 100+ releases and infos on Passions, does that count? Enough of that.

I'm busy remembering standing 3 feet away from him when he cried during Please, Please, Please to close the second SF Fillmore show in September 2007, the same night that he held my hand earlier.

Tears of happiness thinking about all the money he will make from the latest volume of greatest hits?

I might have contributed a bit outside the D/L section. I have answered a question or two in collectors corner and marketplace, contributed to about 100+ releases and infos on Passions, does that count? Enough of that.

And tons of contributions to my website. ;)

Morrissey is on a downward spiral, make no mistake. I've just watched the recent performance of you're the one for me fatty on youtube and I reckon I could play a better guitar solo than that cloth eared lump called Jesse. I couldn't match the macho posturing though which would go against me. Oh Moz, your voice is deep and rich but you have to surround yourself with yes men with zero musical ability. You could be at the peak of your powers but instead we are faced with this. Time to come up with plan B old boy.

Morrissey is on a downward spiral, make no mistake. I've just watched the recent performance of you're the one for me fatty on youtube and I reckon I could play a better guitar solo than that cloth eared lump called Jesse. I couldn't match the macho posturing though which would go against me. Oh Moz, your voice is deep and rich but you have to surround yourself with yes men with zero musical ability. You could be at the peak of your powers but instead we are faced with this. Time to come up with plan B old boy.

Not to mention, he's losing what voice he has left trying to sing over uninspired trash rock turned up to 11...he didn't have to shout over Alain or Marr to be heard!

say what you will about jesse, but matt walker is probably one of the best drummers morrissey has had, if not the best. i don't like how that seems to be getting ignored in all of this "his band sucks now" discussion. matt f***ing rocks. waaaaaaay better than that embarrassment deano.

Hey Solo, I saw you in some shit paper this morning so I'd thought I'd come back to say hi.

I saw him in York, I thought 'People Are The Same Everywhere' was pretty good. I don't really see the point in judging new songs he is most likely just giving a trial run on this tour. I never liked 'Mother Lay Softly....' when I heard one of the early versions at the Roundhouse in 2008.

In regards to the band, I think though they were a bit weak going into a few songs, the new keyboard player is certainly a step up from that Kristopher Pooley chap. Maybe a new Mikey Farrell maybe not, too soon.

So true

Did that really qualify as a guitar solo? "Beethoven Was Deaf," 'twas not.

Did that really qualify as a guitar solo? "Beethoven Was Deaf," 'twas not.

For those who don't know what we're talking about...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think his lyrics are evolving. Dont think he needs a songwriter. Seriously, who is making up this stuff.

Lyrics are "evolving?" I think you meant devolving. The previously unreleased Lifeguard on Duty is better than anything in this new bunch.

Let me put it this way: I'm of the opinion that acts like P!nk and Guns n' Roses have closed the lyrical gap (yep, I just wrote that). Bands like The National have blown past him. I think he still has the ability, he just doesn't seem to be interested in anything new.

Lyrics are "evolving?" I think you meant devolving. The previously unreleased Lifeguard on Duty is better than anything in this new bunch.

Let me put it this way: I'm of the opinion that acts like P!nk and Guns n' Roses have closed the lyrical gap (yep, I just wrote that). Bands like The National have blown past him. I think he still has the ability, he just doesn't seem to be interested in anything new.

It's so funny you mention P!nk!!! I would "*love* to hear Morrissey sing "Who Knew?" Great song, and P!nk sings it very well, but I think Morrissey could do something wonderful to it with his voice.

It's so funny you mention P!nk!!! I would "*love* to hear Morrissey sing "Who Knew?" Great song, and P!nk sings it very well, but I think Morrissey could do something wonderful to it with his voice.

This will only work if he wears the green dress from the video...

This will only work if he wears the green dress from the video...

LOL I bet young Morrissey woulda been up for it!

Can't we just bleach his hair and give him a nose-ring? Maybe a clip-on (kinda like how he scribbles on his body in lieu of actual tattoos)?

LOL I bet young Morrissey woulda been up for it!

Can't we just bleach his hair and give him a nose-ring? Maybe a clip-on (kinda like how he scribbles on his body in lieu of actual tattoos)?

image3mzj.png

Back
Top Bottom