Time to Hire a Songwriter?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2011 (read-only)' started by Vauxhall95, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Vauxhall95

Vauxhall95 I Know It's Over...

I find YOR to be better musically. I also think that Morrissey actually recording with the band in studio made the album sound really good. Lyrically, there's just not a lot there for me.

I adore the Italian vibe that infuses much of ROTT. His time in Rome really seemed to spark his creativity. I find, apart from the Father Who Must Be Killed, the entire album enjoyable. The "explosive kegs" reference has never really bothered me. There are redeeming lyrics in Dear God: "Dear God if I could, I would help you.". Classic. Regarding The Youngest, the inclusion of a children's choir over the lyrics fills the sound with a hilarious irony, it always makes me grin. I'm not suggesting ROTT was a masterpiece, but lyrically it punches it's weight for a Morrissey album. It also preceded YOR. I only mention that because at least for me, by the time YOR came around, the lyrical material on the album had (in my view) already been done before and better by Morrissey. The lyrics on YOR just seemed dumbed down or rushed. You've mentioned Paris. It's a nice enough tune but can one really suggest the topic of a lonely and loveless world hasn't been done better on previous albums?

The only other point, and I do realize sales figures do not speak to the quality of an album, is that here YOR garnered all this quality praise from critics; but I would argue it disillusioned much of his fan base (I cannot even begin to count how many Morrissey-solo fans who stopped visiting here after that album), while not attracting much of a new following. That's not forget that the main reason he is without a record deal was because of the generally poor showing YOR received.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. Happy Maudlin

Happy Maudlin Corinthian and Caricature

Home Page:
    http://www.last.fm/user/MiaoPurrington
    I think he should collaborate with Gary Day again. For old time's sake.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  3. Eraserhead

Eraserhead Accept Myself

But there are some inspired lyrics on YOR. I'm thinking of Mama, Carol, Sorry, and I'm Ok by myself (which seems to be a culmination of years of Morrissey's gripes and denouncements). In fact, I think it's important to look at Morrissey's YOR lyrics as a commentary on his journey as a songsmith (this is what the album is about, in part).

4. Stanley the 2nd

Stanley the 2nd Active Member

The problem with Morrissey now is that he is predictable and safe. We all know what the next album will sound like. If he was a new artist the majority of people on this forum wouldn't show the slightest interest in him. And the weird thing is Morrissey seems to think he is a pioneer of some kind of new amazing music; we think not. He needs to collaborate with some new musicians, even try a new genre of music. Something big and orchestral would be nice.

I remember buying Vauxhall & I the week it came out and spending that summer savouring it's splendour. I can't really say that about too many of the albums that followed. ROTT had one play before it came out of the cd player and I think that is where the downward spiral began. I'm not a Morrissey basher but he really needs to step out of his comfort zone and do something new. A new sound meaning something different from the Your Arsenal template which was carved out all those years ago. He still is a massive talent but the musicians who surround him aren't.

This forum will defend Morrissey to the death and it's always amusing when people post with different opinions to the masses. Negative comments have increased over the past couple of years and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought the Janice Long songs were total pishe.

5. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

I don't believe you

6. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

Lucky Lisp is not an average sound and it absolutely THRASHES Action Is My Middle Name.

And you call The Queen Is Dead OVERATED??? What the hell?? It's the best album Britain has ever produced! Your saying "There Is A Light That Never Goes out" and every other song on that album is OVERATED? It's The Smiths best album and it actually isn't praised enough for the brilliance it's achieved.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
  7. !Viva Hate!

!Viva Hate! ~*meow*~

I said the same thing and was proven wrong.

8. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

It would have been leaked ages ago if a few people had the copy. It's probably some stupid crap bootleg that someone recorded at the back of the crowd!

9. !Viva Hate!

!Viva Hate! ~*meow*~

Nope. He sent me a video of him putting it in his DVD player, going to the Hollywood Bowl menu, pressed play, and played an amazingly high quality 2 minute sample of The Queen Is Dead shot from multiple camera angles. Then, within 5 minutes after I accepted I was wrong, he removed the video...cause believe me, I was going to go to keepvid and capture it. Lol.

The promo exists, but only a few people have it and they don't want to give it up...he's one of them, as much as I hate to admit it.

10. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

Well I think he should leave the forum. If he doesn't want to share it with the rest of us, then he should simply go. If I had it VivaHate, I'd give the copy to you and every user on this forum

11. !Viva Hate!

!Viva Hate! ~*meow*~

I would have leaked it too without a doubt. It's the right thing to do considering everything all the other Moz collectors have leaked here. I mean, Mr. Reynolds didn't HAVE to supply everyone here with the rare demos and instrumentals (that have now become commonplace) for the last 10 years...but he has. I don't see the point in spending outrageous amounts of money just to hoard something and basically tease other people with.

12. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

I just don't understand why people join a community and don't offer anything whilst being in the community. Simply BOASTING through posts makes me angry. It's just a way to make people feel jealous. He should leave.

13. !Viva Hate!

!Viva Hate! ~*meow*~

Well, I really have no right commenting on that as the same has been said to me. Lol.

I do agree though that boasting about a highly valued item is very silly and it is a bit insulting...especially since there was no good reason the DVD was denied anyway.

But to be fair, most of his posts are dedicated to topics in the 'Collectors Corner'.

14. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

It's just beyond me why it hasn't been leaked. What happened to all the copies been made?? it's baffling to me

15. !Viva Hate!

!Viva Hate! ~*meow*~

I don't know how many promo copies were released before Morrissey had Warner put the halt on the release...with the lack of copies in circulation, it is safe to assume not many prints made it out alive. Of the prints that are out there, I'm only aware of two ever being up for public sale...both on eBay, with both items removed before the bidding was up...which could either be due to Warner's legal department putting a stop to the illegal sale or both items were sold for a 'buy it now' after the auction had begun.

So, with so few people actually owning a copy, it really isn't hard to believe it hasn't been leaked.

16. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

I suppose but I bet there is at least a handful of available copies out there!

17. !Viva Hate!

!Viva Hate! ~*meow*~

I'm sure there are, but they aren't publicly available...you've gotta know somebody in the "underground blackmarket Morrissey collectibles circle" to even have a chance at getting anything truly rare.

18. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

Hahaha, along with Wolverhampton 88 on video! god, that is the most item I really want!

19. !Viva Hate!

!Viva Hate! ~*meow*~

Wolverhampton was this close to being released... *makes small space with fingers*

20. DAVIE

DAVIE Guest

If Morrissey wants to make lots of money then he should re-release hulmerist with the entire concert! He should make a re-release that is actually worth buying. However I doubt anything will be made of the bloody recording.