Time to Hire a Songwriter?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2011 (read-only)' started by Vauxhall95, Jun 17, 2011.

1. MozIsGod

MozIsGod Active Member

I'd love this too, but it sure as hell won't happen with the current band. Boz may be up for it, but I doubt Jesse, Solomon, and Matt's hearts would be in it. The current line up is the only one he's had which is devoid of any subtlety or nuance in their writing and playing.

2. mikael

mikael mispressed

Home Page:
    http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/collect-smiths.htm
    And I'm smoking this HUGE cigarr right now (Dominican though)

3. mikael

mikael mispressed

Home Page:
    Man, I almost feel like a FAG, god knows why?

4. Vauxhall95

Vauxhall95 I Know It's Over...

It's his legacy though. If he wanted to do this he could switch out players. Personally, I'd be very excited about an acoustic album/DVD. I'd put down $20 without thought for it.

5. !Viva Hate!

!Viva Hate! ~*meow*~

Must be that HUGE Dominican you've got in your mouth...

6. Vauxhall95

I cling because he is my favorite lyricist and vocalist of all time. His music means so very much to me. I adore: Vauxhall, Maladjusted, Quarry, and Ringleaders. I'm not sure where you got this idea that everything post '94 is disappointing to me?

Yes, I wail and flail about. I have a penchant for hyperbole in my posts. I accept all this.

It seems painfully obvious to me that Years of Refusal and now these subsequent songs are vastly different than anything he has previously released en masse. There has always been a weak song here or there, but it mattered little: each album had songs that no other artist could have or would created.

Maybe this lyrical minimalism is intentional. If so, I don't much care for the departure especially when he would then be holding back... However, I think he has just lost the passion to write. All of which I wish, hope, pray changes and the old magic returns. I can still like Morrissey and his music yet be disappointed in his current material. In fact, by your own admission you're clinging to Morrissey covers of Smith's songs. Are we really that far apart?!

7. !Viva Hate!

!Viva Hate! ~*meow*~

You don't have to explain yourself to him. You have just as much right to be here as the judgmentally clouded fans that love any trash he releases do!

8. CrystalGeezer

CrystalGeezer My secret's my enzyme.

[​IMG]

9. dave.jay1@ntlworld.com

[email protected] Dave Jay

...RE:-- the above photo.....Nothing at all to do with the on-going debate here..but why is there a shelf in front of the painting, yet it is "Fenced off" from the public....what's the point ???

10. denzy

denzy New Member

Interesting debate.

I personally like his new songs i wouldnt say i love them but i havent properly listened to them yet.

listen peoples opinions are always going to differ on which era they prefer etc.

I wouldnt hire a songwrite or release a cover album because then he will be no different to them former "legends" you see selling albums in supermarkets e.g Rod stewart and Tom Jones.

I still enjoy his music immensly but im only 24 so i have not been there since the start.

The only thing i would say to his critics is he is getting older and like every great songwriter, sportsman, musician etc you do slow down and maybe the quality would decrease.

it reminds me of when people criticized Oasis to an extent. people wanted them to write songs like the used to on "definately Maybe" however them songs where written when Noel was on the Dole and poor. if Noel would of wrote the same songs a multi millionaire he would of been laughed at.

Maybe Morrissey has different influences now maybe he feels he cant write about the things he used to because of his age or the fact that his life has differed

11. mozzerdimpaler

mozzerdimpaler Member

An odd cover version ona b side is ok but cover albums are for the creatively dead like Weller. A NO NO

An album of acoustic songs really is the act of a dying man , no sir.

Hire a songwriter YES,someone who challenges Moz to write more than a handful of lines for a song and raises the bar musicially to songs that have melody in them, getting stephen street on board would be a major plus,boz and jesse are like two failed centre forwards you have on your football team who you think will come good next season but they never do despite the odd great goal.Time has come for them to be released and some one brought in who can write a tune you can sing along to.

12. MozIsGod

MozIsGod Active Member

If it's not the Stephen Street of 1988, forget it.

13. Vauxhall95

Well, the idea of hiring a songwriter was meant to be a conversation starter and attention getter. It is unimaginable given what he has accomplished, but that's just it: today, it feels like that is all in the past. I totally understand this is the typical career trajectory for musicians, but that doesn't make it any less painful.

I'm in no way suggesting I am more of a fan (that would be sheer nonsense), merely that I have spent nearly two thirds of my life with his lyrics. Watching his lyrical prowess diminish is a little like having a loved one with Alzheimer's: its getting to the point I don't even recognize his last releases as part of his musical canon.

By the way, welcome! It looks like your new to the forum. I wouldn't mind conversing with you anytime! If you need any rare stuff and don't already have it, let me know, I'm happy to help.

14. mikael

mikael mispressed

Home Page:
    Oh, fuck off. who are you to dictate anyones fate? Go away, stay away. That was my opinion.

15. mikael

mikael mispressed

Home Page:
    I think you have one more option: Fuck off.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  16. mikael

mikael mispressed

Home Page:
    The correct answer would be no one gives a shit about your opinion? I just can't win.

17. mikael

mikael mispressed

Home Page:
    Sattelite of love:)

18. Maurice E

Maurice E Junior Member

A few things to mention - to wit:
    - Morrissey has effectively hired songwriters before. after relationships broke down with Street, he went to established songwriters rather than people he knew or had met naturally. these included Nevin, Armstrong and Langer. with the exception of the early Morrissey/Nevin songs, I'd say this was a success. remember, it wasn't just Street who wrote the Bona Drag stuff. Langer wrote November, Armstrong wrote Piccadilly and He Knows. one of them, in an interview, said they felt they needed to provide Morrissey with a complete piece of music that would stand up on its own, even without any singing, like Marr used to do with the Smiths. it's this approach/discipline that has been sorely lacking since the early 90's.
    - get Jarvis Cocker in? no thanks! whilst Cocker is a great pop person and a talented lyricist, his musical abilities are mediocre. the solo songs were pretty awful, and the stuff he wrote for other people (e.g. Sinatra) was extremely weak. he's the last person Morrissey needs.
    - an acoustic album? there's this misconception that the way the songs on an album are produced/arranged makes a huge difference to how good they are. simply not true! if someone writes a batch of mediocre, electric-guitar based indie-pop songs, they will sound just as mediocre with an acoustic arrangement. the quality of the compositions themselves is all that really matters.
    - it seems our best hope for a decent new album is that the Street rumour is true. an album's worth of Tobias and Boorer songs in 2011 could end up being his worst ever (unless Boorer rediscovers his early 90's form and Tobias ups his game).
    - there's also the question of the lyrics. some disagree but the consensus among the fans is that they're getting worse and worse. not entirely sure how this could be adddressed. perhaps if Morrissey was given wonderful pieces of music to work with, he would subconsciously make more of an effort lyrically.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  19. Maurice E

Maurice E Junior Member

ah, err, ahem...

20. !Viva Hate!

!Viva Hate! ~*meow*~

It was sarcastic. Lol.