Time to Hire a Songwriter?!

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
Yes, it's that bad. If it's not the end of an illustrious career, it's smack dab on the horizon. For years, I've given little notice to the band which supported him: it would be akin to noticing the frame around the Mona Lisa, one is simply missing the point.

Then we got "That's How People Grow Up," Years of Refusal, and now this latest batch of utter mediocrity. It has gotten to the point where the music is beginning to outshine the lyrics: that's really hard to do.

I think he has four options:
Just stop now, tour but please don't ruin your magnificent legacy with new material.

Release an acoustic album. He still possess one of the most marvelous voices in music. Release an acoustic album of old material, re-envisioned.

A cover album. Not as exciting but I'd still buy it. Again, his voice is still sublime. Carefully chosen this good be interesting.

Hire a songwriter. Yeah, I just wrote that. Have "The National," Stephen Merritt, Jarvis, hell anyone pen some songs for you because it is abundantly clear nothing new really excites you. One of the reviews of "ROTT" had a bit about "everything here has already been done by Morrissey before and better." At the time, with songs like Dear God and Pigsty I just couldn't agree. After YOR, I think the reviewer has a point.

"Action" is interesting. Lyrically, it is semi new ground: Moz on the prowl looking for heat.

Last edited:
Come on! Go away!

I can't waste time anymore.

I can't waste time anymore.

After listening to Years of Refusal I came to the same conclusion.

I just have this vision of a young, clever early 20's Morrissey listening to these songs and being inspired to write, "Get Off the Stage.".

Just hoist me from the herd. I'm busy watching Morrissey crying during Please, Please, Please... on the Hollywood DVD. Morrissey doesn't go away, ever.

Just hoist me from the herd. I'm busy watching Morrissey crying during Please, Please, Please... on the Hollywood DVD. Morrissey doesn't go away, ever.

So, what captivates you is latter day Morrissey singing two decades old Smiths songs.

Fair enough. But pointing out the fact that his present day lyrics couldn't touch the song you just mentioned is totally dismissible?

Jesus man, you just made my point for me!

Clever, your dissing Morrissey's work since 94 is getting tiresome. Why do you come here? Why do you cling?

We don't really (the royal we) don't give a rats ass!

Funny why should I prove anything to you. I haven't heard anything about you in collectors circles?

Funny why should I prove anything to you. I haven't heard anything about you in collectors circles?

Well, you know...usually when people make ridiculous claims, they have some way to back it up.

I have nothing to prove around here, believe me.

Really?

And there you go... Action IS my middle name

Back
Top Bottom