Time left until Trump leaves office

"Live Updates: On Eve of House Vote, McConnell Is Said to Be Pleased About Effort to Impeach Trump

Senator Mitch McConnell is said to believe that the impeachment effort will make it easier to purge President Trump from the party. And Representative Kevin McCarthy has asked other Republicans whether he should call on Mr. Trump to resign in the aftermath of the Capitol siege."

This is a strange turn of events, as Mitch was literally Trump's bitch:

"How Mitch McConnell Became Trump’s Enabler-in-Chief

The Senate Majority Leader’s refusal to rein in the President is looking riskier than ever.

By Jane Mayer
April 12, 2020"

The largest gun forum in the US was completely shut down. By GoDaddy. No explanation. Just felt like shutting them down. I don’t own a gun. And i don’t think anyone needs to own a gun to see a problem with this.

I suspect they've discovered that some forum users were openly planning violent acts & they've shut it down before they're hauled before a public inquiry to explain themselves.

The odd thing about the internet is that it's a mix of publishing & social relationships. If it was just people reading or listening to stuff then it would be easy to argue that it's draconian to censor it - but when people are interacting with each other, encouraging each other to do things in the real world, you can't really leave it.

It needs a proper discussion.

Which isn't helped by television news being so dire. I was watching CNN & it's like Stepford Newscasters delivering dramatic sermons because they can't break stories anymore & a nuanced debate wouldn't grab ratings.

I suspect they've discovered that some forum users were openly planning violent acts & they've shut it down before they're hauled before a public inquiry to explain themselves.

The odd thing about the internet is that it's a mix of publishing & social relationships. If it was just people reading or listening to stuff then it would be easy to argue that it's draconian to censor it - but when people are interacting with each other, encouraging each other to do things in the real world, you can't really leave it.

It needs a proper discussion.

Which isn't helped by television news being so dire. I was watching CNN & it's like Stepford Newscasters delivering dramatic sermons because they can't break stories anymore & a nuanced debate wouldn't grab ratings.
CNN is where farce meets cabal propaganda on air. It’s for people with IQs of 80

CNN is where farce meets cabal propaganda on air. It’s for people with IQs of 80

It really is awful - Anderson Cooper spent ages the other day telling us he was sad Fox News implied he was a snob. It was like he'd become confused & thought he was on a reality show on E!

It really is awful - Anderson Cooper spent ages the other day telling us he was sad Fox News implied he was a snob. It was like he'd become confused & thought he was on a reality show on E!
He made fun of people for “eating at the Olive Garden and then going to sleep at the Holiday Inn”.

A Vanderbilt heir.

And then he didn’t like it when lots of people called him a snob.

To have sunk from being a (once) respected war correspondent to now just making fun of people, on a major network and on air, of eating at the Olive Garden..... please

He made fun of people for “eating at the Olive Garden and then going to sleep at the Holiday Inn”.

A Vanderbilt heir.

And then he didn’t like it that they called him a snob.

To have sunk from being a (once) respected war correspondent to now just making fun of people, on a major network and on air, of eating at the Olive Garden..... please

I'd also say that Fox shouldn't have filled airtime by slagging off Cooper - the public needs credible information, not partisan dramas.

I'd also say that Fox shouldn't have filled airtime by slagging off Cooper - the public needs credible information, not partisan dramas.

i don’t see the point in saying that. Political commentators all comment on other political commentator’s comments.

He made his own ignoble glory by saying that on air on a major network, to millions of people, all by himself.

1. Twitter is not a private company. Twitter is part of the oligarchy

2. If someone objects to an oligarchy, or to a monopoly for that matter, that does not mean they are advocating communism

3. These comments, and this thread
Publicly traded companies are private property held by members of the public who are private citizens. As with every other company there is a group of people with more power to make policy decisions.

Oligarchy means a small group of people having control of a country, organization, or institution.

In that sense any corporation could be called an oligarchy or "part of the oligarchy" but that's kind of like saying "ruled by the elite." Who or what is this oligarchy? The billionaires who own all mass media? Or the Rothschilds and those other families who have been the power behind the scenes?

It winds up sounding like a conspiracy theory where Donald is "draining the swamp" but they just won't let him. If there really is an oligarchy on this sort of scale Donald would have never been allowed to take office unless he was serving their interests.

Anyone can post on twitter at no cost and twitter can remove anyone for any reason or for no reason. To say that I or you or Donald or anyone has a right to post on twitter sounds like claiming some sort of ownership. That is why I mentioned communism.
If it is something other than that I would be interested to hear the reasoning.

i don’t see the point in saying that. Political commentators all comment on other political commentator’s comments.

He made his own ignoble glory by saying that on air on a major network, in front of millions of people, all by himself.

That's gossip, not news (which has its place, but not ON the news).

It's depressing the way journalists are abandoning the idea that they chronicle events, interview participants, verify facts & try to give an impression as close to what happened as possible.

Well, the power of tech is something that should be debated. It's dominated by 6 'Data Kings' - which is not reassuring.
It's the end result of capitalism. All of the independents are absorbed. Google and Facebook buy their competition before they get big enough to be a threat.
Truly evil corporations like Monsanto look into the long range future where no one will be able to grow their own food without paying them for the seeds. And most people carry a device on them at all times containing their most personal data.
Every time they decide to take away our rights to privacy they have good reasons and people go along with it.
We're at a point where it's almost too late and very soon privacy won't probably even be desirable. A desire for privacy already makes you suspect. And in the US we've all gone along with laws that strip us of our most basic rights. All they have to do is say you are an enemy combatant and they can lock you up without even charging you, deny access to a lawyer and not bother to try you.
It all goes together and there is plenty to be paranoid about but people worry about the wrong things, like the President's twitter account.

Publicly traded companies are private property held by members of the public who are private citizens. As with every other company there is a group of people with more power to make policy decisions.

Oligarchy means a small group of people having control of a country, organization, or institution.

In that sense any corporation could be called an oligarchy or "part of the oligarchy" but that's kind of like saying "ruled by the elite." Who or what is this oligarchy? The billionaires who own all mass media? Or the Rothschilds and those other families who have been the power behind the scenes?

It winds up sounding like a conspiracy theory where Donald is "draining the swamp" but they just won't let him. If there really is an oligarchy on this sort of scale Donald would have never been allowed to take office unless he was serving their interests.

Anyone can post on twitter at no cost and twitter can remove anyone for any reason or for no reason. To say that I or you or Donald or anyone has a right to post on twitter sounds like claiming some sort of ownership. That is why I mentioned communism.
If it is something other than that I would be interested to hear the reasoning.
I feel like you’re being wiley and asking me to respond to you for the benefit of other, less intelligent people on this thread, who aren’t even capable of posting a cogent series of discussion points or ideas - because you know I don’t have patience or interest in people like that.

I also know that you know that I know, what an oligarchy is. So we’re going in circles already, before we’ve even begun.

“Anyone can post on twitter for no cost, and twitter can remove anyone for any reason or for no reason”. This isn’t the issue, is it? It’s the not issue anyone is arguing, and it’s not the issue at stake.

When you have the sitting President of the United States of America using a platform like Twitter as their official and direct mouthpiece, and preferred method of communication, and then that platform is removed from a sitting President for political reasons, and any and ALL of the other (few) similar platforms that also exist similarly follow suit and ban him and shut him down - because they “don’t like what he said”... ???? This is not China, last time I checked. And we do not silence sitting Presidents, just because the other party “doesn’t like what they said”. This has been outrageous, and a shame on the face of the United States that will go down in history, for NONE of the reasons Dems think

This is censorship happening of a magnitude as yet unseen, and people are celebrating?? This is why I don’t have the patience or interest in engaging here, with the types of people that need this POINTED OUT to them. And I don’t mean you, to be clear.

Apple, Amazon, and Google are three of the biggest companies in the world, who have now colluded, to censor with their aggregate power, ANYTHING they don’t like.

Where does it stop?
Is it fine to censor and silence the President who is actively sitting in office?
What about everyone that supported him politically because they agree with his policies? Get rid of them too? Ok.
So now, even as I type this, the nation’s collective goal, media would have us believe at least, is that we’re actively trying to erase any kind of conservative voice from the media, from public office, from policy making, from everywhere we can - why? How is the beneficial for a society? Or how is that a measured action? Or how is that aligned with the tenets of our constitution? A two party system was already bad enough. This is now beyond the pale.

Further to which - no one should be typing nonsense here about “private companies can do whatever they want”. No. NO, they absolutely cannot do whatever they want. There’s a little something called Antitrust laws, and they are all deeply, deeply in violation at this stage. The legal fallout from what happened 2010-now will be tremendous.. and will go on for years.

And last but not least... to the people going on like broken toys, about sedition, insurrection, and incitement of violence - please.

Does that mean that we’re also going to bring charges against Biden (said he wanted to beat Trump up, if it was up to him)? This is apparently acceptable for him to say on an official engagement, publicly, and at a press conference?

And we’re also presumably going to slap that braindead, wholly illiterate specimen Maxine Waters, with charges of insurrection and incitement of violence too, yes? For using her public platform to rile a huge crowd and by publicly publicly promising them to “go right up there and take Trump out herself”. All to a baying mob.

Mafia Reptile CryptCreeper Pelosi on the riots this summer, and destruction of property and statues? Statues are historical artifacts, and Art. She shrugged, when asked about the ongoing riots. She smiled and SHRUGGED.

No FBI lists were issued, no warrants for people’s arrests, in fact, Kamala Harris’s official statement was that “they should NEVER stop” rioting. Tbey should never ever stop rioting. So? Please explain to me. If conservatives were to take power again? It would be fine to shut down any sitting president they don’t like?

Internet shutdown is censorship.

And exactly no one is talking about a baker and a gay cake. f***ing please. Grow up before posting something so idiotic and so completely broken off from any semblance of reality.

Internet shutdown, around elections especially, is one of the most grave acts that can be committed - and certainly so in what we call “the free world”

It doesn’t matter if it’s the left or the right doing it. It’s wrong, and it can only lead to an abyss.

Liberals have turned into tyrants, and the question is - who actually gives a flying f*** - who you’re f***ing? or what your gender preference is or one of 10,000 other meaningless other points...

IF it’s all underpinned by “liberals” who don’t believe in the Bill of Rights, anymore??

If you support a system that takes away your most basic right - that of free speech

Then you’re not a liberal, and you support a system of tyranny.

That's gossip, not news (which has its place, but not ON the news).

It's depressing the way journalists are abandoning the idea that they chronicle events, interview participants, verify facts & try to give an impression as close to what happened as possible.
I have no idea who talked about it, or whether they talked about it on the actual news.

There are programs that discuss the news and currents events, and they are not “the news”. They’re political commentary programs with various guest speakers from the worlds of politics, economics, finance, academia, whatever, and yes they have time to discuss something as idiotic as Anderson Cooper said, considering the venue and forum on which he chose to broadcast his thoughts to his fellow countrymen

The point isn’t that someone repeated what he said. He said it to the entire country. All by himself. You can’t really be mad at people then, for knowing you’re an idiot, if you showed them all by yourself what an idiot you can be

it’s neither here nor there to me - which, coincidentally, is exactly how I feel about Andersen Cooper too :oops:

I have no idea who talked about it, or whether they talked about it on the actual news.

There are programs that discuss the news and currents events, and they are not “the news”. They’re political commentary programs with various guest speakers from the worlds of politics, economics, finance, academia, whatever, and yes they have time to discuss something as idiotic as Anderson Cooper said, considering the venue and forum on which he chose to broadcast his thoughts to his fellow countrymen

The point isn’t that someone repeated what he said. He said it to the entire country. All by himself. You can’t really be mad at people then, for knowing you’re an idiot, if you showed them all by yourself what an idiot you can be

it’s neither here nor there to me - which, coincidentally, is exactly how I feel about Andersen Cooper too :oops:

He repeated what they said - to make his story that they were lying about liberals being snobs.

I don't think CNN or Fox viewers gain anything they couldn't get from Days Of Our Lives.

Informed commentary on actual news would be a good thing.

He repeated what they said - to make his story that they were lying about liberals being snobs.

I don't think CNN or Fox viewers gain anything they couldn't get from Days Of Our Lives.

Informed commentary on actual news would be a good thing.

Lol, I have been staring at this for a full five minutes, while doing nothing except asking myself if you posted me something that you really wanted me to click on.

i haven’t clicked on it.

was i supposed to click on it?

I feel like you’re being wiley and asking me to respond to you for the benefit of other, less intelligent people on this thread, who aren’t even capable of posting a cogent series of discussion points or ideas - because you know I don’t have patience or interest in people like that.

I also know that you know that I know, what an oligarchy is. So we’re going in circles already, before we’ve even begun.

“Anyone can post on twitter for no cost, and twitter can remove anyone for any reason or for no reason”. This isn’t the issue, is it? It’s the not issue anyone is arguing, and it’s not the issue at stake.

When you have the sitting President of the United States of America using a platform like Twitter as their official and direct mouthpiece, and preferred method of communication, and then that platform is removed from a sitting President for political reasons, and any and ALL of the other (few) similar platforms that also exist similarly follow suit and ban him and shut him down - because they “don’t like what he said”... ???? This is not China, last time I checked. And we do not silence sitting Presidents, just because the other party “doesn’t like what they said”. This has been outrageous, and a shame on the face of the United States that will go down in history, for NONE of the reasons Dems think

This is censorship happening of a magnitude as yet unseen, and people are celebrating?? This is why I don’t have the patience or interest in engaging here, with the types of people that need this POINTED OUT to them. And I don’t mean you, to be clear.

Apple, Amazon, and Google are three of the biggest companies in the world, who have now colluded, to censor with their aggregate power, ANYTHING they don’t like.

Where does it stop?
Is it fine to censor and silence the President who is actively sitting in office?
What about everyone that supported him politically because they agree with his policies? Get rid of them too? Ok.
So now, even as I type this, the nation’s collective goal, media would have us believe at least, is that we’re actively trying to erase any kind of conservative voice from the media, from public office, from policy making, from everywhere we can - why? How is the beneficial for a society? Or how is that a measured action? Or how is that aligned with the tenets of our constitution? A two party system was already bad enough. This is now beyond the pale.

Further to which - no one should be typing nonsense here about “private companies can do whatever they want”. No. NO, they absolutely cannot do whatever they want. There’s a little something called Antitrust laws, and they are all deeply, deeply in violation at this stage. The legal fallout from what happened 2010-now will be tremendous.. and will go on for years.

And last but not least... to the people going on like broken toys, about sedition, insurrection, and incitement of violence - please.

Does that mean that we’re also going to bring charges against Biden (said he wanted to beat Trump up, if it was up to him)? This is apparently acceptable for him to say on an official engagement, publicly, and at a press conference?

And we’re also presumably going to slap that braindead, wholly illiterate specimen Maxine Waters, with charges of insurrection and incitement of violence too, yes? For using her public platform to rile a huge crowd and by publicly publicly promising them to “go right up there and take Trump out herself”. All to a baying mob.

Mafia Reptile CryptCreeper Pelosi on the riots this summer, and destruction of property and statues? Statues are historical artifacts, and Art. She shrugged, when asked about the ongoing riots. She smiled and SHRUGGED.

No FBI lists were issued, no warrants for people’s arrests, in fact, Kamala Harris’s official statement was that “they should NEVER stop” rioting. Tbey should never ever stop rioting. So? Please explain to me. If conservatives were to take power again? It would be fine to shut down any sitting president they don’t like?

Internet shutdown is censorship.

And exactly no one is talking about a baker and a gay cake. f***ing please. Grow up before posting something so idiotic and so completely broken off from any semblance of reality.

Internet shutdown, around elections especially, is one of the most grave acts that can be committed - and certainly so in what we call “the free world”

It doesn’t matter if it’s the left or the right doing it. It’s wrong, and it can only lead to an abyss.

Liberals have turned into tyrants, and the question is - who actually gives a flying f*** - who you’re f***ing? or what your gender preference is or one of 10,000 other meaningless other points...

IF it’s all underpinned by “liberals” who don’t believe in the Bill of Rights, anymore??

If you support a system that takes away your most basic right - that of free speech

Then you’re not a liberal, and you support a system of tyranny.
Twitter is not his official mouthpiece and he was kind of dumb to treat it that way. When I see his tweets it's not like "the President of the United States is giving an official message," but more like that idiot reality show dude who managed to get elected because more people hated Hillary is up at 3am again posting nonsense.
Again, just because I think this is important to remember, the only reason Twitter has any power is because so many people use it and incidents like this are part of the process. Maybe the US should give everyone free internet and establish a platform that we can all use unless we're using it to break the law.
The other thing, as much as that attack on the Capitol looks like theater, he did call a mob to action when everyone who was in the line of succession after him was in the same place at once, and he had been busy putting his people in charge of the military previous to this.
I think it's most likely that he actually was set up and made to believe that a coup could actually work, but that doesn't affect the fact that he seems to have attempted one.

It's true that these companies have too much power. Who began the process of giving it to them? Ronald Reagan. We used to have locally owned radio and television stations and newspapers. Now we really don't. But again that comes down to people giving up their power.

It's all part of a process and people have to stop supporting Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook and all the others. Of course they're going to use their power to benefit themselves and their friends.

The Bush administration used 9/11 to take away our rights, start an illegal war. hold people illegally, and we all went along with it. Obama came to power and continued this trend. Trump came to power and things still kept going the same way. Now that it's him being removed from a platform for treason it's supposed to be a problem?
They didn't remove all of the conservatives. Some of the people I follow for reasons other than politics are still supporting Trump and saying the election was fake. But they are removing people whose posts they believe to be dangerous, which they have the right to do. Maybe these people shouldn't have built their online presence there.

As far as what different Democrats or liberals posted during the riots, yes there might be some irony there, and it might make them consider what they post in the future now that some of them have been exposed to the threat of violence themselves.
The people whose businesses were burned down might want to get some kind of class action suit against some of those that encouraged rioting.
It's still different than the President of the US using a privately controlled platform to inflame a mob and doing nothing to stop them, watching them on television while some of his own people were seemingly in grave danger, and only coming out against them after they've been escorted out, their plans having failed. He's a dangerous fascist and he shouldn't have a platform to spew his lies. He should actually be tried and given the most severe punishment possible. Anything less invites the next tyrant to try it again.

If you want to remove these Democratic lawmakers from Twitter, I'm sure you could find reasons, but their offences do not serve to make Trump's offences acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom