Time Capsule

laughing_anne

I'm thinking of getting a time capsule. Anyone have one and what do you think of it? Is it better than an ordinary external hard drive?

Aww :( I thought you meant an actual time capsule :o

Me too...:mad:

I was going to say photographs, Pictures and a newspaper from the day you were born...:p

I guess it all depends on how important being wireless is to you.

I'm thinking of getting a time capsule. Anyone have one and what do you think of it? Is it better than an ordinary external hard drive?

Don't do that.
The idea is great but I spent SEVERAL hours trying to recover a system using that.

My friend couldn't do it, so he sent me his Time Capsule with 350GB of stuff in it. It was nearly impossible to retrieve the data from it as it is ridiculously slow.

Basically, it took me 3 days to recover the system and still, didn't recover the way I was expecting.

Get a USB hard drive. Much faster and more reliable.

Don't do that.
The idea is great but I spent SEVERAL hours trying to recover a system using that.

My friend couldn't do it, so he sent me his Time Capsule with 350GB of stuff in it. It was nearly impossible to retrieve the data from it as it is ridiculously slow.

Basically, it took me 3 days to recover the system and still, didn't recover the way I was expecting.

Get a USB hard drive. Much faster and more reliable.

Thanks, I already have a USB hard drive but it's getting quite old. But I'll keep your advice in mind, you're not the first one to say that. :)

It's a matter of convenience really. Currently I have only one Mac but I'm thinking of getting another one. (Not that I really need another Mac :o)

I just bought a 1 TB My Book external drive for myself. It was really easy to use. I love it.

Thanks, I already have a USB hard drive but it's getting quite old. But I'll keep your advice in mind, you're not the first one to say that. :)

Using Time Machine is great. It's by far the best backup tool there is... but Time Capsule is waaaay too slow, unfortunately.

My friend was so mad he was going to throw his away. So he just mailed it to me. I'm just using the router though, because I have a Mac Pro, so Time Machine is running on an internal hard drive.

Using Time Machine is great. It's by far the best backup tool there is... but Time Capsule is waaaay too slow, unfortunately.

My friend was so mad he was going to throw his away. So he just mailed it to me. I'm just using the router though, because I have a Mac Pro, so Time Machine is running on an internal hard drive.

So basically, the idea is great but the execution sucks? I've read several reviews that complain about the speed. It seems to slow down the internet connection as well if you have more than two Macs.

So basically, the idea is great but the execution sucks? I've read several reviews that complain about the speed. It seems to slow down the internet connection as well if you have more than two Macs.

Yeah... it's a little bit ahead of its time.
The problem is not the Time Capsule itself, it's the 802.11n network that isn't fast enough to stream all that data.

Once you set it up, Time Machine will backup your system at every hour, so while it's backing up, your internet connection will slow down.

Yeah... it's a little bit ahead of its time.
The problem is not the Time Capsule itself, it's the 802.11n network that isn't fast enough to stream all that data.

Once you set it up, Time Machine will backup your system at every hour, so while it's backing up, your internet connection will slow down.

So unless you have a lot of new data on your mac, it shouldn't take too much time?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom