Tim Jonze wanted to be harsher on Morrissey!

vicarinatutugal

can't reMember
Reported on the main page.
read here

Last month, whilst on an assignment for the New Musical Express, I asked Morrissey if he'd ever consider moving back to Britain. Little did I know then, as such an innocent question left my lips, that I was about to provoke a Morrissey rant about UK immigration policy, a series of ignorant, racially inflamatory statements (based on no factual evidence), and a media storm that has seen this piece debated on forums, newspapers and even Question Time.

The controversy has been further fuelled by Morrissey's manager Merck Mercuriadis posting online an email sent from me, saying that I'd had my name removed from the piece. This was true, I had requested my byline be removed, but not exactly for the reasons the Morrissey camp are spinning (those being that I didn't want to criticise Morrissey and it was a stich-up by the NME).

So before I continue, there's something that needs to be pointed out. Every single quote attributed to Morrissey is 100% correct, there was no provocation at all, and Morrissey was given a chance to apologise or clarify his views with a second telephone interview. At no point did he back down. Although Morrissey as a person was charming, courteous and (until this point) a joy to interview, I found comments such as "England's been thrown away" and "These days you won't hear a British accent in Knightsbridge" woefully ignorant. I wrote a piece saying that Morrissey - although liberal in many of his views - was using the language of the BNP and Enoch Powell when it came to immigration. In the piece I mentioned that his comments likening the UK to that of "going to Zagreb and hearing nothing but Irish accents" were offensive as they compared British ethnic minorities to tourists. I also said he was being overly nostalgic for a Britain built partly on empire and imperialism and that someone as well travelled as Morrissey had no excuses for such comments.

The piece was very critical and NME decided to tone it down, something I didn't agree with. They showed me several rewritten versions, some of which were very soft on Morrissey, one that was quite critical. None had any of my points or arguments in them and none of them were written in my voice. Furthermore, I hadn't even seen the finished version before it went to print (I still haven't seen it, as I'm currently writing this from the surreal surroundings of a beach internet cafe in Thailand). For these reasons, the byline was removed.

However, it's been something of a PR coup for Morrissey's people that they've managed to divert attention from their artist's ill-informed comments by focussing all the attention on the byline debate. The fact that Morrissey's team have dared suggest that the NME have stitched him up is ludicrous. At the end of the second telephone interview, Morrissey said "I gather this is going to be a scathing piece on me" to which I replied along the lines of "It's not going to be too good, no, it will anger a lot of people".

Morrissey and his management knew that I wasn't writing them a soft PR piece. All I promised was that the transcript would be printed as fairly as possible and that I'd print his more "liberal" comments about finding racism "too silly to discuss". This promise was kept, as far as I'm aware.

Were Morrissey's comments ill-informed and likely to provoke anger inside those of us who are tired of hearing the right wing press and the BNP whip up fear with the same factually distorted statements? Undoubtedly. Is Morrissey, the son of immigrants who's written anti-racist songs, actually a "racist"? It's a murky area that should be being debated now, instead of the issue of why a byline was dropped.

What's clear, though, is this: the "I've been stitched up" card is the last bastion of someone who's said something offensive but is too scared to back this up, yet too stubborn to apologise. How can Morrissey possibly claim a stitch up when the interview is printed in Q&A form, his quotes are recorded on tape and he wasn't even asked about immigration in the first place? It's truly cowardly. If Morrissey holds these opinions he should either be sticking to his guns and standing by them or - more honorably - educating himself on race issues, realising why his comments were both offensive and inflamatory, and apologising for them as quickly as is humanly possible.

this is an interesting turn of events - particularly so, given the seemingly cordial tone of his e-mail to steve's manager.

as i said... ...interesting.
I'm expecting full coverage in Heat with lots of ppictures of moz having thrown up down himself falling out oif a club :)

I'm expecting full coverage in Heat with lots of ppictures of moz having thrown up down himself falling out oif a club :)

Utter knackers.

Do you wonder why Tim is saying this now? What kind of a case would IPC have had without the chap who made the interview making some kind of retraction?

Bollocks.

Peter

Utter knackers.

Do you wonder why Tim is saying this now? What kind of a case would IPC have had without the chap who made the interview making some kind of retraction?

Bollocks.

Peter

yes I do wonder, so you think that Morrissey does have a decent case then? I know its been discussed all over about ten threads but this "blog/statement" made me go uh oh... this might not be good for Morrissey.

Actually what he says is rather damning. First of all he hasn't read the actual article though he argues it is accurate! Second he paints a scenario of the NME constantly rewriting the article because they keep changing their mind on how they want to present it. Not exactly a great picture of journalistic integrity is it? I thought you were supposed to write the truth, or am I naive? :D

In the end, he so overstates the case and puts Morrissey in with Enoch Powell and BNP that he makes himself ridiculous.

yes I do wonder, so you think that Morrissey does have a decent case then? I know its been discussed all over about ten threads but this "blog/statement" made me go uh oh... this might not be good for Morrissey.
I wonder what law firm he's using...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

and what a generous person to let them know ahead of time that the NME was going to turn his angry words into a cream puff article!

Can I imagine what that article looks like?

"Morrissey, the world's worst scum and JK Rowling's model for Lord Voldemort, demonstrated his pure ignorance when he spoke of the 'mix of accents' in London. I knew without concrete evidence that he was only euphemistically talking about quote-unquote 'n*****s and jews' like an 1850's white man in Mississippi would talk about while sitting on their porches and whittling a stick. When he continued his conversation, i found the other tell-tale signs that he was indeed the second-coming of satan: he was born of an incestuous relationship by Irish immigrants. he could not hear the words of Jesus. i saw the burn marks on his skin from where the priests threw holy water on him. Unlike the majority of English persons who are perfectly content with sending troops all over the world to bomb these very same cultures back into the stoneage which in turn creates these massive waves of immigration, He Who Must Not Be Named made fun of their accents."

Most people would simply go to a bar, get drunk, and get angry that "the man" has mainstreamed their article. Not this guy. He keeps it real.

None had any of my points or arguments in them and none of them were written in my voice.

Do I give a rat's ass even if it had...?
What I want to read is the interviewed person's point, arguments and voice.
The interviewer should be just a medium, a channel.
I make my own conclusions, thankyouverymuch.
Stick with your job, you're a interviewer not a columnist.

Actually what he says is rather damning. First of all he hasn't read the actual article though he argues it is accurate! Second he paints a scenario of the NME constantly rewriting the article because they keep changing their mind on how they want to present it. Not exactly a great picture of journalistic integrity is it? I thought you were supposed to write the truth, or am I naive? :D

In the end, he so overstates the case and puts Morrissey in with Enoch Powell and BNP that he makes himself ridiculous.

He absolutely makes himself look ridiculous. It's badly written and he contradicts himself. For example, first he points out that Moz didn't apologize or back down:

"...Morrissey was given a chance to apologise or clarify his views with a second telephone interview. At no point did he back down."

Then he comments at the end that if Moz believes what he says he should stand by his words! Which he already pointed out that he uh.... did:

"If Morrissey holds these opinions he should either be sticking to his guns and standing by them or - more honorably - educating himself on race issues, realising why his comments were both offensive and inflamatory, and apologising for them as quickly as is humanly possible."

He also mentioned that Moz has written anti-racist songs, in the paragraph where he comes the closest to outright calling Moz a racist. And nowhere in this blog entry does he say what exactly was offensive about Moz's comments and exactly what for and to whom he should be apologizing, even though he said twice that Moz should apologize.
ETA: Well, he does say, "In the piece I mentioned that his comments likening the UK to that of 'going to Zagreb and hearing nothing but Irish accents' were offensive as they compared British ethnic minorities to tourists," which doesn't make sense and isn't even relevant to what Moz was saying, but I guess it is a specific argument he's trying clumsily ;) to make....

The whole thing is total crap and just makes the NME look more guilty of having an agenda against Moz in order to sensationalize the story to sell magazines.

Last edited:
"Furthermore, I hadn't even seen the finished version before it went to print (I still haven't seen it, as I'm currently writing this from the surreal surroundings of a beach internet cafe in Thailand)."

If you haven't read the article as it was printed in the NME, how can you so confidently claim that all the quotes are accurate? Furthermore, I've never read an interview that is so strongly "framed" in the manner this one was. I agree with the other poster: one reads an interview to read what the subject has to say, not the editorial staff or interviewer. Obviously, I do not know if the quotes are rightly attributed to Morrissey (even if they are I really do not see how a 48 year old man nostalgic for the England of his childhood is front page news). What is plain as day is NME, once again, went after Morrissey to sell papers and Morrissey had the naiveté to answer complex questions about national policy with a music rag out to sell copies by defaming his name. He should have stuck with talking about the new record and saved intelligent debate for a more worthy forum.

Before I read the comments above, I am going to comment on this Jonze letter right now...

I believe that if Conor manages to keep his job, JONZE will be getting more assignments or a promotion of some sorts with NME. Another journalist (I have very little love for or faith in the profession) takes a political stance... surprise surprise.

Guess who gets a raise from NME when this is done over?

Hey Tim Jonze - Now my letter to Conor applies to you too. . . .

Furthermore, what Morrissey said is not offensive or "racist." It is an opinion. Folks are allowed to have one without it being sensationalized and called "racist."

First of all everybody in at NME and Question Time needs to take your head out of those PC clouds, wake up and realize that what Morrissey said is not a racist comment! I have no idea what kind of a world you folks must live in - I am starting to think it must be a whole lot of rainbows and butterflies. How can you use the word RACIST regarding what Morrissey said? How is that about race? WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH RACE? Is anybody paying attention? Perhaps Tim Jonze and Conor McNicholas need to be shipped off to SUDAN to do some journalism on the situation there... then perhaps they could use their beloved word RACISM.

WAKE UP NME!!!! REAL RACISM HAPPENS AND PEOPLE are sometimes even MURDERED when it happens... and here you go throwing that word so freely about. You abuse the word and to me THAT IS DISRESPECTFUL OF BLACK SUDANESE and what they are facing right now... go to SUDAN for a few years and cover the situation there, then come back and interview Morrissey and try to tell me he is racist.

You are acting like spoiled brats who know nothing about the situations that happen in the world.

And since you think that immigration is a race issue, I will also apply the comparison to cultures that are abused (not race, culture - those are two different things folks;) why don't you go to TIBET and coverthe Chinese government mowing down entire monasteries with machine guns? Why don't you go to India and cover the Hindu's and Muslims setting one another's trains on fire?

I was walking on the shores of the Ganges in Haridwar one morning and the Muslims had taken the hooves of cows and other slaughtered animals and littered the Ganges riverside with them on the dawn of Kumba Mela, the holiday when the vegetarian Hindu's bathe in that sacred river for spiritual cleansing... Have you ever seen that? Have you seen their faces in the morning when they come to bathe? Apparently not or else you would never be tossing that word around so lightly!

Why don't you do something about the situation I saw in the airports of Dhaka in Bangladesh, where thousands line up to board airplanes to work as slaves for Saudi Arabian oil families because their lands have been flooded due to the cutting down of all the trees in the Nepalese Himalayas after they were bought by the Russians?

What do you really know about people suffering because of where they were born, what religion they are, what color their skin is, what their countries economic conditions are? Apparently not much or else you would not be throwing such accusations around so lightly.

Kanye West had a good reason to say "George Bush does not care about black people." NME just sound like a bunch of spoiled brats who are throwing around a very serious word - it appears to me you folks live in LA LA land and you are bunch of spoiled twerps trying to look and sound cool and heroic if you think what Morrissey said is RACIST.

UTTERLY pathetic, political, apparently sheltered BRATS.

Jonze, I am suprised you are in Thailand. I suggest that you take a side trip. Go to the front desk at your little internet cafe on the beach and ask about bus trips to Cambodia. Do a little bit of research and ask some older folks about the Khmer Rouge, take a day trip to Choeung Ek - 1979 is recent history.

I bringing up these things not because I am against immigration in any way - it is simply to take you out of your little bubble and give you a little bit of perspective... You really should not use these words so lightly and just toss them around. It is hurtful... there is more going on in the world than beach resorts, drinking and hanging out with rock stars (that is what Conor spends most of his time doing according to his myspace page,) and your latest publicity campaign. WAKE UP!

oh and if Tim was so upset with what Morrissey said in the interview BEFORE LEGAL ACTION WAS TAKEN they why did he write to Merck? Why wouldn't you do as you suggest to Morrissey - stand by your guns and tell Merck that you did not feel the piece was strong enough?

I believe it is because you are lying... and well on your (political way) to being assistant editor of the NME.

Tim Before legal action was taken:

"Hi Merck,
Hope you're well. I should mention that for reasons I'll probably never understand, NME have rewritten the Moz piece. I had a read and virtually none of it is my words or beliefs so I've asked for my name to be taken off it. Just so you know when you read it.
Best,
Tim"

I believe that Tim and Conor should learn the definition of Racism and I think they are the ones who owe an apology to both Morrissey and to the oppressed in this world... for they have managed to abuse and disrespect both of them in an attempt at popularity and political significance (which is an oxy moron by the way.)

real racism doesn't have to manifest itself in an extreme act. a sideways glance can be a racist action.

Good for you. I'm glad you are well traveled. I like what you wrote, it came from the heart. As an American, I lived in Saudi Arabia for ten years when I was very young. Americans, Brits, Western Europeans brought in to run the country were placed in fenced camps or compounds. Within them, the Filipinos and/or Bangladeshis were placed in a camp within a camp surrounded by electric fences and armed guards. Their living conditions were deplorable and their wages pathetic. They would often have to work for 3-5 year contracts before they could return home to their families. The female house servants from these third world countries who were unfortunate enough to work in a private Saudi family were often raped and beaten (they have no legal recourse).

Not sure where I'm going with all this, but I agree: these NME idiots need to get their collective heads out of the clouds. Real racism exists and it's not in the form of a 48 year old pop/star nostalgic Englishman who just wishes England was the same place he grew up in. Don't we all wish for a simpler time? It's a preference. He's not advocating concentration camps for Christ's sake!

Before I read the comments above, I am going to comment on this Jonze letter right now...

I believe that if Conor manages to keep his job, JONZE will be getting more assignments or a promotion of some sorts with NME. Another journalist (I have very little love for or faith in the profession) takes a political stance... surprise surprise.

Guess who gets a raise from NME when this is done over?

Hey Tim Jonze - Now my letter to Conor applies to you too. . . .

Furthermore, what Morrissey said is not offensive or "racist." It is an opinion. Folks are allowed to have one without it being sensationalized and called "racist."

First of all everybody in at NME and Question Time needs to take your head out of those PC clouds, wake up and realize that what Morrissey said is not a racist comment! I have no idea what kind of a world you folks must live in - I am starting to think it must be a whole lot of rainbows and butterflies. How can you use the word RACIST regarding what Morrissey said? How is that about race? WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH RACE? Is anybody paying attention? Perhaps Tim Jonze and Conor McNicholas need to be shipped off to SUDAN to do some journalism on the situation there... then perhaps they could use their beloved word RACISM.

WAKE UP NME!!!! REAL RACISM HAPPENS AND PEOPLE are sometimes even MURDERED when it happens... and here you go throwing that word so freely about. You abuse the word and to me THAT IS DISRESPECTFUL OF BLACK SUDANESE and what they are facing right now... go to SUDAN for a few years and cover the situation there, then come back and interview Morrissey and try to tell me he is racist.

You are acting like spoiled brats who know nothing about the situations that happen in the world.

And since you think that immigration is a race issue, I will also apply the comparison to cultures that are abused (not race, culture - those are two different things folks;) why don't you go to TIBET and coverthe Chinese government mowing down entire monasteries with machine guns? Why don't you go to India and cover the Hindu's and Muslims setting one another's trains on fire?

I was walking on the shores of the Ganges in Haridwar one morning and the Muslims had taken the hooves of cows and other slaughtered animals and littered the Ganges riverside with them on the dawn of Kumba Mela, the holiday when the vegetarian Hindu's bathe in that sacred river for spiritual cleansing... Have you ever seen that? Have you seen their faces in the morning when they come to bathe? Apparently not or else you would never be tossing that word around so lightly!

Why don't you do something about the situation I saw in the airports of Dhaka in Bangladesh, where thousands line up to board airplanes to work as slaves for Saudi Arabian oil families because their lands have been flooded due to the cutting down of all the trees in the Nepalese Himalayas after they were bought by the Russians?

What do you really know about people suffering because of where they were born, what religion they are, what color their skin is, what their countries economic conditions are? Apparently not much or else you would not be throwing such accusations around so lightly.

Kanye West had a good reason to say "George Bush does not care about black people." NME just sound like a bunch of spoiled brats who are throwing around a very serious word - it appears to me you folks live in LA LA land and you are bunch of spoiled twerps trying to look and sound cool and heroic if you think what Morrissey said is RACIST.

UTTERLY pathetic, political, apparently sheltered BRATS.

Jonze, I am suprised you are in Thailand. I suggest that you take a side trip. Go to the front desk at your little internet cafe on the beach and ask about bus trips to Cambodia. Do a little bit of research and ask some older folks about the Khmer Rouge, take a day trip to Choeung Ek - 1979 is recent history.

I bringing up these things not because I am against immigration in any way - it is simply to take you out of your little bubble and give you a little bit of perspective... You really should not use these words so lightly and just toss them around. It is hurtful... there is more going on in the world than beach resorts, drinking and hanging out with rock stars (that is what Conor spends most of his time doing according to his myspace page,) and your latest publicity campaign. WAKE UP!

oh and if Tim was so upset with what Morrissey said in the interview BEFORE LEGAL ACTION WAS TAKEN they why did he write to Merck? Why wouldn't you do as you suggest to Morrissey - stand by your guns and tell Merck that you did not feel the piece was strong enough?

I believe it is because you are lying... and well on your (political way) to being assistant editor of the NME.

Tim Before legal action was taken:

"Hi Merck,
Hope you're well. I should mention that for reasons I'll probably never understand, NME have rewritten the Moz piece. I had a read and virtually none of it is my words or beliefs so I've asked for my name to be taken off it. Just so you know when you read it.
Best,
Tim"

I believe that Tim and Conor should learn the definition of Racism and I think they are the ones who owe an apology to both Morrissey and to the oppressed in this world... for they have managed to abuse and disrespect both of them in an attempt at popularity and political significance (which is an oxy moron by the way.)

real racism doesn't have to manifest itself in an extreme act. a sideways glance can be a racist action.

Morrissey did not mention race. Even if he expressed hate toward somebody from another country WHICH HE DID NOT... what does it have to do with race? Morrissey stated clearly that racism is silly and he is not a racist. Race was not discussed... learn the definition of race vs that of culture or language.

Furthermore Morrissey is a great artist who is clearly articulate, intelligent, and sensitive... do not attack him, give him the benefit of the doubt if anything, certainly do not take any half opportunity to bring up a subject that is painful to many. Seems people who draw MORE attention to our differences by using that world racist so freely - just create more tension.

i didn't suggest morrissey made a racist remark. i was just trying to point out that racism comes in all shapes and sizes, not just in SUDAN!

the guys killing the black sudanese are racist. as is the taxi driver who ignores a well dressed black guy on the streets of new york.

i didn't suggest morrissey made a racist remark. i was just trying to point out that racism comes in all shapes and sizes, not just in SUDAN!

the guys killing the black sudanese are racist. as is the taxi driver who ignores a well dressed black guy on the streets of new york.

Yeah. I don't want to get into picking apart the definition or re-defining or even clarifying - at the moment it is enough for me to know what the definition IS NOT... and what Morrissey said IS NOT racism.

point finale.

This whole steaming pile of media bollocks is nothing more than a weak, cheap substitute for a rigorous and self-examining debate about xenophobia.

It reads like a nation freaking out, which let me tell you, it's strange to see from the outside.

Back
Top Bottom