Tim Booth in Q (March 2019) - Morrissey, early Smiths support, "We Hate It..." confirmation

Posted by an anonymous person (original post):

"...much more interesting is the James Q Mag (March 2019) interview where Tim Booth bitches about Moz and gives praise for the Smiths early support.....Not sure why this hasnt been mentioned here yet ....very funny how Morrissey refused to go onUS tour without James and especially the "Calendar" picture anecdote!!!

Excerpt from the interview:

"...But [Tony] Wilson was amazing. He begged us to make an LP for Factory and we really should have. But we were steered away to Sire [The Smiths' American label]. Who were The Big Bad Wolf. Morrissey warned us about Sire. We should have listened."

Morrissey's patronage - inviting James as Smiths tour support, covering Jimone's What’s The World and naming them his "favourite" band in the music press - brought them the deserved spotlight they'd hitherto preciously avoided. The two sensitive, "celibate", vegetarian singers were obvious kindred spirits. "He was a good friend," Booth says of Morrissey. "He’d ring me up and say 'Come on out' and we'd go around church graveyards.""

Like in The Smiths' Cemetry Gates?

"Yes," he says fondly. "The Smiths were really lovely to us for years. Morrissey and Johnny Marr came to the studio when we were recording Stutter. They told us we should release Johnny Yen as a single, and we didn’t listen, and they were totally right."

Booth believes the friendship first strained when James turned down the offer to support The Smiths on their 1986 North American tour. "He went AWOL two days before. Rough Trade rang me up and said, 'Do you know where Morrissey is? He's refusing to go to America without you.' He went in the end, but I think he was a bit upset."

Five years later, solo Morrissey invited James to join him on the bill of an ITV music special celebrating 30 years of Amnesty International where he planned to preview his new single, a vaudeville retort to James’s newfound fortunes: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. "It was [about us]," confirms Booth. "Kevin Cummins took a lovely photo of us there together backstage. Then much later Morrissey did an official calendar. It was 10 pictures of him, one of The Smiths, and that one of him with his arm around me. And we looked sooo gay together! And I was like..." Booth’s eyebrows fandango. "That's a little out there! I had no problem with it. It was, 'Oh, really? You still love me? That's sweet.' But Morrissey fell out with me in the end because I stopped being a vegetarian. I think. Because of my liver, physically I got so sick with the diet. There are only certain things I can eat, even now." He scoops another spoonful of meaty broth. "And chicken soup is one of them."

45850_gettyimages-580480073-1024x1024.jpg

:rolleyes:

FFS CALM DOWN SOCK PUPPETS!!!:straightface:
why does it have to be that if
Surface pitches a fit

all of you have to pitch the fit too?? whats wrong
with the lot of you??:grin:

to clarify: BOTH JAMES :mask:
and NEW ORDER:openmouth:
are HAS BEENS and pretty much SUCK up a Storm.
Music knowers laugh at them.:smile:

"MUSIC COMPLETE"doh:what pretentious twattery.:highfive:
Tim Boots singing wearing pajamas FFS!!! :popcorn:

To be fair, the world of is full of great musicians who have never been successful and bad ones who have sold millions. But the herd mentality here, which on the other praises Morrissey's two remaining friends and belittles hugely influental names from New Order to Pet Shop Boys is ridiculous. Which goes hand in hand with slagging off every one of Morrissey's former collaborators, even while they themselves have never said a bad word about him.

So for all I know, James Maker may be a really talented chap, but if I didn't spend time here, I'd never have heard of him. Even now I have not heard one song of his. And I have read a ton of British music papers from the late eighties on.

:crazy:

Musicians? MUSICIANS? new order musicians??
they need the small chip to put on the computer to tour!!! FFS, this as told by your
idol Surface.. they couldnt tour because the chip had been erased!!:lbf:
by 'peter hook' who is practically unknown.:straightface:

To be fair, the world of is full of great musicians who have never been successful and bad ones who have sold millions. But the herd mentality here, which on the other praises Morrissey's two remaining friends and belittles hugely influental names from New Order to Pet Shop Boys is ridiculous. Which goes hand in hand with slagging off every one of Morrissey's former collaborators, even while they themselves have never said a bad word about him.

So for all I know, James Maker may be a really talented chap, but if I didn't spend time here, I'd never have heard of him. Even now I have not heard one song of his. And I have read a ton of British music papers from the late eighties on.

From the gob of the tit who called New Order and James etc has beens, she’s now trying to big up a never been, simply because he says kind words about Morrissey.

Didn't mean to wind you up. Maybe you should just put me on ignore if you can't resist reading my posts and being so easily triggered.

To be fair, the world of is full of great musicians who have never been successful

That's all that needs to be said. Success is not always 'being known'.

James Maker is an unknown, in spite of Morrissey's vigorous and repeated attempts to promote his music over the years (he even released a single via Attack Records). He had a LOT of help from Moz (who got Raymonde signed in the '80s) but just never 'made it' and recently retired from music.

see above.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting the song, since some strangely enough have not heard one James Maker song, which is surprising, considering they visit this site enough or consider themselves knowledgeable on all things Morrissey.

Sad how Tim Phonebooth needs to 'big up' himself by claiming things such as .....

...But [Tony] Wilson was amazing. He begged us to make an LP for Factory

"He went AWOL two days before. Rough Trade rang me up and said, 'Do you know where Morrissey is? He's refusing to go to America without you.' He went in the end, but I think he was a bit upset."

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. "It was [about us]," confirms Booth

It was, 'Oh, really? You still love me? That's sweet.' But Morrissey fell out with me in the end because I stopped being a vegetarian.'

it's truly laughable that he believes this crap he spews.

hes an COMPLETE UNKNOWN
who feeds himself::pig::goat::rooster::dromedarycamel::ox:!!!!!!!

'...because I stopped being a vegetarian. I think. Because of my liver, physically I got so sick with the diet. There are only certain things I can eat, even now." He scoops another spoonful of meaty broth. "And chicken soup is one of them."

And he's a doctor too ! :lbf:

Didn't mean to wind you up. Maybe you should just put me on ignore if you can't resist reading my posts and being so easily triggered.

No need really is there. Now we know you are sitting on Vegan's face, we can just laugh at your pathetic posts that belittle everyone who Morrissey has taken aim at over the years.

he may have a heart attack from fawning over Skinny, "Mani", "Bernard", Timboots, "peter hook"
and any number of has beens that live side to side with him.:crazy:

and now timboots is a dr, dr timboots. what a scandal. dr in chomping on fried:rooster: wings.:lbf:

Mine may end before his, who knows. I do hope to take my daughter to see him though before either he or I pass, she was so disappointed when he pulled the Castlefield show.

Count your blessings that wasn't her first Morrissey show. The one I saw on that tour was just dismal with 3 awful videos during the show including Meat Is Murder and a setlist that missed many of his greatest songs in favor of LIHS. His last tour of California and South America had a much more enjoyable set list. Perhaps that will be the next tour that comes your way.

Count your blessings that wasn't her first Morrissey show. The one I saw on that tour was just dismal with 3 awful videos during the show including Meat Is Murder and a setlist that missed many of his greatest songs in favor of LIHS. His last tour of California and South America had a much more enjoyable set list. Perhaps that will be the next tour that comes your way.

Yes I went to the Birmingham gig, the set list was poor compared to what he played at the back end of the year.

WTF? nice back and forth sock puppet trolling using an anon handle LOL:lbf:

That's all that needs to be said. Success is not always 'being known'.
see above.

For any musician who hopes to make a proper living out of it, that's exactly what it is. Otherwise it wouldn't be a career but a weekend hobby between the other stuff that pays the bills.

James Maker is a good writer and has a way with words - he's not talentless. But it doesn't take much time listening to him (or reading his writing) before you realise that he is, basically, just an unsuccessful version of Morrissey. A version who never left Stretford, never met Johnny and still spends his time writing scathing letters to the music press.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom