Tim Booth in Q (March 2019) - Morrissey, early Smiths support, "We Hate It..." confirmation

Posted by an anonymous person (original post):

"...much more interesting is the James Q Mag (March 2019) interview where Tim Booth bitches about Moz and gives praise for the Smiths early support.....Not sure why this hasnt been mentioned here yet ....very funny how Morrissey refused to go onUS tour without James and especially the "Calendar" picture anecdote!!!

Excerpt from the interview:

"...But [Tony] Wilson was amazing. He begged us to make an LP for Factory and we really should have. But we were steered away to Sire [The Smiths' American label]. Who were The Big Bad Wolf. Morrissey warned us about Sire. We should have listened."

Morrissey's patronage - inviting James as Smiths tour support, covering Jimone's What’s The World and naming them his "favourite" band in the music press - brought them the deserved spotlight they'd hitherto preciously avoided. The two sensitive, "celibate", vegetarian singers were obvious kindred spirits. "He was a good friend," Booth says of Morrissey. "He’d ring me up and say 'Come on out' and we'd go around church graveyards.""

Like in The Smiths' Cemetry Gates?

"Yes," he says fondly. "The Smiths were really lovely to us for years. Morrissey and Johnny Marr came to the studio when we were recording Stutter. They told us we should release Johnny Yen as a single, and we didn’t listen, and they were totally right."

Booth believes the friendship first strained when James turned down the offer to support The Smiths on their 1986 North American tour. "He went AWOL two days before. Rough Trade rang me up and said, 'Do you know where Morrissey is? He's refusing to go to America without you.' He went in the end, but I think he was a bit upset."

Five years later, solo Morrissey invited James to join him on the bill of an ITV music special celebrating 30 years of Amnesty International where he planned to preview his new single, a vaudeville retort to James’s newfound fortunes: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. "It was [about us]," confirms Booth. "Kevin Cummins took a lovely photo of us there together backstage. Then much later Morrissey did an official calendar. It was 10 pictures of him, one of The Smiths, and that one of him with his arm around me. And we looked sooo gay together! And I was like..." Booth’s eyebrows fandango. "That's a little out there! I had no problem with it. It was, 'Oh, really? You still love me? That's sweet.' But Morrissey fell out with me in the end because I stopped being a vegetarian. I think. Because of my liver, physically I got so sick with the diet. There are only certain things I can eat, even now." He scoops another spoonful of meaty broth. "And chicken soup is one of them."

45850_gettyimages-580480073-1024x1024.jpg

What did he have to say about Bernard

He was very polite - he talked mostly about how talented a guitarist he is. I said something like, I hear he can be difficult to work with and he kind of smiled in agreement. I asked him about new James material as I wasn't clear at the time if he'd left the band or they were on a hiatus, etc. He said something like "stay tuned for new James material." Sure enough later that year the Whiplash album came out - which I recall being a well-received album for them.

Finally someone in music prepared to admit that being veggie makes people sick in the end. If only veggies made sure to take the things they need but it is as if veggies are already suffering from eating disorders and turning veggie becomes almost like an escape from food in general.
The people who have studied this know that food related mental issues are the hardest to deal with and the denial is just out of this world.
The liver needs a lot of things to function and I haven't seen a single veggie that has come across as healthy and full of energy.

He was very polite - he talked mostly about how talented a guitarist he is. I said something like, I hear he can be difficult to work with and he kind of smiled in agreement. I asked him about new James material as I wasn't clear at the time if he'd left the band or they were on a hiatus, etc. He said something like "stay tuned for new James material." Sure enough later that year the Whiplash album came out - which I recall being a well-received album for them.

Cool thanks for the reply

Why doesn't he give the animals their bodies and their choice to live?
'Cluck once to live, cluck twice to be a popstar's dinner.'

They always cluck twice if you wait long enough, so it's their choice fair and square.

I want to feel part of life. Unfortunately, I can't. I would love to partake as everyone else does. It's past me by, as always, oh what I'd give, just to be natural for one moment in my life. I'd love to be one of thiose people where life is loving and giving and putting your trust in other people. I swear, a moments love would suit me just grand.
Take some DMT.

You really are a f***ing arsehole with your snide comments about other artists who you know f*** all about.

Tim Booth in an interview September 2016 -“ I find a lot of people really wanting to look for a sustainable life, whether that be philosophically or ecologically or sexually. The whole opening up of gay marriage and transgender has been a massive step forward which I would date back to the ’60s, it just took a long time.”

You’re the f***ing arshole, you know as much about this artist as I or anyone does or can know by recordings, shows or interviews, and to prove you know nothing you used a quote from a 2016 interview! :lbf: Which means very little and contradicts to some extent what he has said more recently.

I mean, why would he care if that photo of them together looks ‘gay’ ? He says
it’s not a problem, but obviously he sees the photo as gay, and to him as something wrong, and so to him, a problem.

Why would he say it’s ‘soooo gay’ and ‘out there’? Is he afraid that anyone who sees the photo will think he’s gay? And why would that be a bad thing?

A strange denouncement of such a charming and innocent photo.

:cool:

I think Tim likes to think he's more important to morrissey than he actually was.
Bit like Lloyd Cole,
I don't think We Hate It is a song about Tim/James it's more aboyt how Manchester treated moz
PS by James is a dig at Morrissey though-

'You're a weapon of devotion
Keep the faithful entertained
You're a lover of attention
Found a way to pawn the soul
Disposition may be fetching
But the world moves on and leaves you far behind

I hear you, I hear you, whispering such gorgeous stories
I see you, I see you, trying to break free
You liar, you liar, you can't live the dreams you're spinning
You liar, love to be deceived

You're falling, you're falling, falling from your god-like distance
You're fashion, just fashion, fashion doesn't keep
You're sour, so sour, all is hope and trust is misplaced
You're sour, now you are alone

Walking on fire, feel the way the world's inclining
Walking on fire, hate to deceive
Walking on fire, now the world will keep its distance
Walking on fire, you rather than me

My son says, dear father, what did you do when the world turned over
Keep spinning, keep spinning, send us off to sleep
You liar, you liar, all your words are just dust in moonshine
You liar, love to be deceived

Walking on fire, found a place away from humans
Walking on fire, hate to deceive
Walking on fire, now the world will keep its distance
Walking on fire, you rather than me'

I don't think Morrissey refused to go to America due to James not going either, he was f***ed off by them not going but that wasn't why he didn't want up go.
Its worth remebrting how unwell morrissey was in sniths days

Agree, but those awful lyrics can they really be about Morrissey? don’t see it.

Yeah, Booth is a little full of himself thinking Morrissey would not tour America with the Smiths if James did not agree to come and support them.

Still curious about this official calendar that he speaks of that only he it seems has seen.

James are a great band with some great songs and albums. Check them out.

'Laid' is one of the all-time great pop songs.

There is no bitching (or homophobia) in the article - just a walk down memory lane.

A plant-based diet isn't for everyone. To push a friend away because of their diet (if that is true) is the height of stupidity. But everyone can be a bit stupid sometimes...

You’re the f***ing arshole, you know as much about this artist as I or anyone does or can know by recordings, shows or interviews, and to prove you know nothing you used a quote from a 2016 interview! :lbf: Which means very little and contradicts to some extent what he has said more recently.

I mean, why would he care if that photo of them together looks ‘gay’ ? He says
it’s not a problem, but obviously he sees the photo as gay, and to him as something wrong, and so to him, a problem.

Why would he say it’s ‘soooo gay’ and ‘out there’? Is he afraid that anyone who sees the photo will think he’s gay? And why would that be a bad thing?

A strange denouncement of such a charming and innocent photo.

:cool:

I know a fair bit about Manchester artists, James and New Order went out drinking just like other guys back in the day and there was no look at me I’m in a band, so everyone just chatted. Fast forward to today, my wife teaches Gary Mountfields kids and him and I chat when our kids are playing netball. I also speak to Bernard Sumner and Peter Hook who both live near me, more so Peter as he lives at the end of my road.

Off the back of past and current discussions I have learnt a lot and continue to do so about Manchester artists both past and present Ketamine but I don’t spout shit about any other band or artist who may not like my favourite artist.

You may need help when Morrissey passes as I do fear for your mental state.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

:straightface:

:sleeping:

all type of sock puppet twattery is what he knows.

bald dude from James, some eggs and:pigface:?

the Halal Butcher

:pignose::turban::pignose:

I know a fair bit about Manchester artists, James and New Order went out drinking just like other guys back in the day and there was no look at me I’m in a band, so everyone just chatted. Fast forward to today, my wife teaches Gary Mountfields kids and him and I chat when our kids are playing netball. I also speak to Bernard Sumner and Peter Hook who both live near me, more so Peter as he lives at the end of my road.

Off the back of past and current discussions I have learnt a lot and continue to do so about Manchester artists both past and present Ketamine but I don’t spout shit about any other band or artist who may not like my favourite artist.

You may need help when Morrissey passes as I do fear for your mental state.

We fear for your mental state right now! even Peppermint is upvoting your posts so you won’t hurt yourself. :lbf:

You’re SOOOO DELUSIONAL if you think by bumping into your favorite artist celebrity because they live in your neighborhood that you know more about them than a fan who ‘knows’ them just through the music and interviews is :crazy: & YOU NEED HELP.

I’m not talking shit, and if you can’t read Booth’s most recent comments and not see it as a bit homophobic and strange that he would go out of his way
to denounce this photo, because he thinks it looks ‘soooo gay’ and is afraid
that he may be seen as gay by the public
is sad.

We fear for your mental state right now! even Peppermint is upvoting your posts so you won’t hurt yourself. :lbf:

You’re SOOOO DELUSIONAL if you think by bumping into your favorite artist celebrity because they live in your neighborhood that you know more about them than a fan who ‘knows’ them just through the music and interviews is :crazy: & YOU NEED HELP.

I’m not talking shit, and if you can’t read Booth’s most recent comments and not see it as a bit homophobic and strange that he would go out of his way
to denounce this photo, because he thinks it looks ‘soooo gay’ and is afraid
that he may be seen as gay by the public
is sad.

Oh dear, not sure how things work in the States but over here if you walk to the shops with someone you tend to discuss what's going on with their band or laugh about their past or even talk about things that people have said etc. On Tim's comments, you can read it however you want, personally, like other posters I don't see anything wrong with it but hey, you are fixated on dissing anything or anybody who might say the slightest negative regarding Morrissey, so you will have your view. Its going to funny when Morrissey passes and the real shit comes out.

o_O

James and New Order went a drinkin a huh
James and New Order went a drinkin a huh
James and New Order went a drinkin
and Surface
was sitting in the back of the Pub and saw it all a huh
ahuh ahuh
:lbf:

totally wacko :crazy:

Oh dear, not sure how things work in the States but over here if you walk to the shops with someone you tend to discuss what's going on with their band or laugh about their past or even talk about things that people have said etc. On Tim's comments, you can read it however you want, personally, like other posters I don't see anything wrong with it but hey, you are fixated on dissing anything or anybody who might say the slightest negative regarding Morrissey, so you will have your view. Its going to funny when Morrissey passes and the real shit comes out.

Funny how you try to deflect from the real issue of my posts by saying I’m defending Morrissey, really laughable.

Yeah, go on believing that you’re ‘friends’ with your local Manchester celebrity has-beens and that you have the ‘inside scoop’ on how the music industry really works and the problems of being famous, just because they were keeping you at a safe distance from them by throwing you some crumbs of made up gossip.

Hope Peppermint and Eldritch upvote your posts, so you won’t feel so alone and hurt yourself. We’re all concerned about you.

Funny how you try to deflect from the real issue of my posts by saying I’m defending Morrissey, really laughable.

Yeah, go on believing that you’re ‘friends’ with your local Manchester celebrity has-beens and that you have the ‘inside scoop’ on how the music industry really works and the problems of being famous, just because they were keeping you at a safe distance from them by throwing you some crumbs of made up gossip.

Hope Peppermint and Eldritch upvote your posts, so you won’t feel so alone and hurt yourself. We’re all concerned about you.

Ketamine - you have no idea of anything to do with me, believe what you want. On the subject of has beens - James are still going strong with regular new albums and tours. New Order are touring the world and Peter is really enjoying himself also touring the world. The only has been, appears to be Morrissey who has had to resort to a covers album to try and reignite his failing UK career.

You claimed i tried to deflect the issue you raised but if you stopped frothing at the mouth long enough to read all of my post, you would have seen i did comment on what you think of Tims comment.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom