Tim Booth from James asked about Morrissey autobiography

Re: Tim booth from James asked about Morrissey autobiography

Who cares what this "traitor" (I think I have to say) means anyway?

I think Tim Booth has got a point with his answers. "Hold Onto Your Friends", Morrissey or you may have none left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrissey seems to only hang out with people he pays, such as band members.

"he's so damaged and self-justifying"...

Who isn't? :confused:

I'd sure as shit rather be that than an adulterous hippy such as Booth. I'd imagine that Tim found Morrissey's 'vulnerability' 'beautiful' in 1982; probably wasn't so 'beautiful' for Moz though :rolleyes:

So what is the story with these two?

I like Tim Booth. I think there's probably some validity to what he has to say.

An anonymous person sends the link / excerpt:

On Matters Of Life & Death: Tim Booth Of James Interviewed - The Quietus

Excerpt:

Have you read Morrissey's book?
TB: No.

Would you have any interest in reading it?
TB: Not really – am I in it?

No, I don't think so – but then, neither's Vini Reilly, and he made a whole record with Morrissey.
TB: The fact with him is that I know he'd have rewritten the whole f***ing thing. It's like Vini – he was so close to Vini and he loved Vini, he introduced me to him actually… But with Morrissey, he's so damaged and self-justifying, and I don't want to hear that. The Morrissey I knew was a very beautiful, vulnerable human being. That was Morrissey in 1982.

Mr.Booth needs to remember a lot of Smiths fans only bought James singles and cassette singles because Moz mentioned the band's name a few times as a group he liked.
Since then, the heady heights of mediocrity do not appear to have helped with his humility.
Regards,
FWD

Mr.Booth needs to remember a lot of Smiths fans only bought James singles and cassette singles because Moz mentioned the band's name a few times as a group he liked.
Since then, the heady heights of mediocrity do not appear to have helped with his humility.
Regards,
FWD

amen

'and they say he's mentall'...plus James was to be the new big northern [Manchester]band, but than knocked a Maher on Morrissey's door

That's weird, I've seen recent interviews with Tim Booth and he always speaks very very well about Morrissey and The Smiths. By the way, he does appear in Morrissey's autobiography, James do, at least.
Oh, and James are great, that doesn't change anything.

That's weird, I've seen recent interviews with Tim Booth and he always speaks very very well about Morrissey and The Smiths. By the way, he does appear in Morrissey's autobiography, James do, at least.
Oh, and James are great, that doesn't change anything.

Careful Gonzax, people round here get angry when you post the truth or any reasoned argument. Best stick to salacious gossip, ludicrous hyperbole or mindless, f***witted vitriol.

Just a tip.

Morrissey: getting away with it, all messed up.

Regards,
FWD

Morrissey's power to compel people to buy other artists' records by the sheer force of his will will come as a surprise to Kristeen Young, and, of course, himself.

I agree with gonzax. Tim Booth seems a great guy, he is a great singer and James is an excellent band. He doesnt need talk shit about other people, because it is not his Style.
Since 5 years, Morrissey solo has become a site to argue without reasons, insult anyone who thinks different, so I visit it few times a week. Maybe, there are some bad people on the site.....

Morrissey's power to compel people to buy other artists' records by the sheer force of his will will come as a surprise to Kristeen Young, and, of course, himself.
That is fair today, but 30 years ago was a bit different.
My comment was very much linked to the time period and living through it.
When the NME/Sounds/Record Mirror et al, Smiths Indeed and radio were the only real communication going.
'Proper' Smiths fans (debate away...) - who hung on Morrissey's words - did buy music he cited and James definitely benefited from that.
The poptastic 'Sit Down' James were different to the pre-'89 James and were interesting imho.
As for sheer will - well, being an impressionable teen explains why I bought music my 'idol' said he liked. Many did so. Many of us posess related artists in our collections with no brainwashing required. We are older now and clever swines. Perhaps not so fervent today, but at the time young me bought James on his say so.
With older ears: Miss Young ... I'm 'compelled' to not touch that issue with the proverbial barge pole ;)
Regards,
FWD

Last edited:
That is fair today, but 30 years ago was a bit different.
My comment was very much linked to the time period and living through it.
When the NME/Sounds/Record Mirror et al, Smiths Indeed and radio were the only real communication going.
'Proper' Smiths fans (debate away...) - who hung on Morrissey's words - did buy music he cited and James definitely benefited from that.
The poptastic 'Sit Down' James were different to the pre-'89 James and were interesting imho.
As for sheer will - well, being an impressionable teen explains why I bought music my 'idol' said he liked. Many did so. Many of us posess related artists in our collections with no brainwashing required. We are older now and clever swines. Perhaps not so fervent today, but at the time young me bought James on his say so.
With older ears: Miss Young ... I'm 'compelled' to not touch that issue with the proverbial barge pole ;)
Regards,
FWD

What's The World (covered by the Smiths of course) and Hymn From A Village were the first James songs I heard and even today those songs sound amazing. The point I was making was Morrissey's championing of James, while undoubtably useful to a band breaking through was also dependent on James themselves coming up with the goods. The couple of songs I've heard from the new album sound like they are still capable of doing so.

Although I've often found Morrissey's pre-show tapes superb his views on new artists seem less interesting to my ears. There was a (Morrissey promoted) Young The Giant song I quite liked. Wait here a moment and I'll go and get it...

OK, I'm back. Sorry about that.

That was their only decent song.

In 1989 at the Manchester Free Trade Hall, James played their biggest gig yet. For most of the set Tim (stood a few feet from me) was pissed off because the all the fans at the front were chanting "Morrissey, Morrissey..." who was stood in the wings with Vini. Tim was watching his audience all looking at the right hand side of the stage, instead of at him. There was even a stage invader who bypassed Tim and made a beeline for Morrissey. The longer it went on, the more it frustrated Tim. Morrissey seemed amused. In the end Tim walked over to Morrissey and asked him to come on stage and sing, mid set. Morrissey refused and left.

At the time Tim blamed Seymour Stein personally for James' lack of success. I doubt that it went down too well when Morrissey acknowledged him later on an album credit.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom