Three brand new Morrissey songs to be released on 7th December

But I think that is the key issue, the music.
I'm not saying Morrissey is blameless, however the deterioration in the quality of the tunes and the lack of any kind of melody is plain for all to hear, anybody would struggle to come up with decent songs if presented with such uninspired/uninspiring music.
If Morrissey were to come up with lyrics from any Smiths song now to plodding, chug-rock music, how much do you think you'd enjoy it?

If Morrissey were to come up with lyrics from any Smiths song now to plodding, chug-rock music, how much do you think you'd enjoy it?

More than I enjoy Earth Is The Loneliest Planet, In Your Lap, Lover-To-Be, Kick The Bride Down The Aisle to name but a few, that's for sure.

Morrissey is completely convinced of his latter-day output. He even rates it higher than his earlier solo work. On the other hand, it hurts to see a talent like Alain putting out solo stuff, that needs Morrissey to be completed. It has been all discussed before, I know. The three new tracks only ad fuel to the fire for those who loved and admired Morrissey during the 90s.

These tracks should have stayed buried. Awful.

Yeah, there was a reason for Morrissey initially
not releasing these, and people will complain
about buying the delux for these songs, but would it have been better if these tracks stayed buried and we only got to hear some crappy bootleg versions of them 2 years from now, or hear them now in decent fidelity?

Yes, they’re not great songs, but I think folks are being a bit negatively judgmental and ungrateful.

But I think that is the key issue, the music.
I'm not saying Morrissey is blameless, however the deterioration in the quality of the tunes and the lack of any kind of melody is plain for all to hear, anybody would struggle to come up with decent songs if presented with such uninspired/uninspiring music.

Out of the three... ‘Never will I be a twin’ is my favorite, especially loud in headphones walking
in time with the beat as the winter wind bites my face. Has a bit of a Magazine vibe, like a slowed down version of ‘The light pours out of me’.

As I said in another thread, ‘Lover to be’ reminds me a little of this ...

‘This song doesn’t end when it’s over’ takes it’s time being over. But, glad to have heard these
now released tracks.

:)

Last edited:
Yeah, there was a reason for Morrissey initially
not releasing these, and people will complain
about buying the delux for these songs, but would it have been better if these tracks stayed buried and we only got to hear some crappy bootleg versions of them 2 years from now, or hear them now in decent fidelity?

Yes, they’re not great songs, but I think folks are being a bit negatively judgmental and ungrateful.

I suppose it's just that they don't add very much (in my view), to anything we've already heard.
But time can do strange things to perception, that's a good point - I remember hearing a demo of Kit that sounded like it had been recorded underwater, but at the time I was so excited to finally hear it that it seemed to have great potential. And I absolutely loved rough live versions of 'Scandinavia', then felt the final cut was disappointing. It's a mixed bag with modern Moz, still some glimmers of greatness but occasionally it doesn't work out. And I will add Johnny's "European Me" to that list - wonderful riff but in the final mix it was buried.

Go away.

The first two are not good but This Song Doesn't End is staggeringly bad. He actually sounds half cut. I remember Joe C saying in an interview not long after LIHS came out about how they chose the tracks, and how some were jettisoned just because they didn't suit the mood and flavour of the album (not his words, but that was the gist). If these are the 'left-overs' it's not hard to see why we ended up with the tracks we did. I am astonished that he thinks it's okay to put these on a 'deluxe edition' then charge people even more money to hear them. It's frankly taking the piss.

Collins English Dictionary:
Definition of 'de luxe'
1. (esp of products, articles for sale, etc) rich, elegant, or sumptuous; superior in quality, number of accessories, etc

Oxford English Dictionary:
deluxe
Pronunciation /ˈlʊks/
ADJECTIVE
Luxurious or sumptuous; of a superior kind.

Surely some breach of the Trade Descriptions Act?

"By the time i get to wherever i'm going" and "Blue dreamers eyes" lured most followers on the wrong track. Everybody thought, if they can't release and give away such songs, the additional material on LIHS Deluxe will have at least a similar quality. But it just doesn't. The two pieces mentioned above seem to relax completely from other years. They are catchy, light and melodic. When the hell did they record those tracks?

I'm still not sure if the production method "Live & Direct" by Joe C. really does the late Morrissey such a big favour. For me, the production of the voice by Lillywhite, Ronson or Street in general was more fitting. No matter if amplified, doubled or distorted with effects. Personally, I liked it better. It's certainly not all bad that Morrissey has thrown onto the market in the last 10 years. Paris, All you need is me or Home is a ? are great songs that will outlast time. But the 3 new songs are outtakes I never would have needed (and I always wanted to hear all the outtakes). But as a fan I can't avoid the release. The summary of the live songs on page D is at least really successful.

Last edited:
"By the time i get to wherever i'm going" and "Blue dreamers eyes" lured most followers on the wrong track. Everybody thought, if they can't release and give away such songs, the additional material on LIHS Deluxe will have at least a similar quality. But it just doesn't. The two pieces mentioned above seem to relax completely from other years. They are catchy, light and melodic. When the hell did they record those tracks?

I'm still not sure if the production method "Live & Direct" by Joe C. really does the late Morrissey such a big favour. For me, the production of the voice by Lillywhite, Ronson or Street in general was more fitting. No matter if amplified, doubled or distorted with effects. Personally, I liked it better. It's certainly not all bad that Morrissey has thrown onto the market in the last 10 years. Paris, All you need is me or Home is a ? are great songs that will outlast time. But the 3 new songs are outtakes I never would have needed (and I always wanted to hear all the outtakes). But as a fan I can't avoid the release. The summary of the live songs on page D is at least really successful.

I thought the production of world peace was excellent and better than refusal. He’s had songs/outtakes in the past that weren’t the best but I think the biggest issue about these tracks is that they aren’t really in the wheelhouse of the morrissey sound which makes a weak song less palatable for us. The world peace extra tracks I thought verged from good to meh but at least they sounded or attempted classic morrissey (a style I of course already enjoy) which helps them get a pass. Lover to be sounds like someone having fun experimenting with something different in the studio and the recording and song sound a bit rough and unfinished to boot. I liked the lyrics to these songs a lot but it seems less like tracks in consideration for the parent album and more like messing about and having fun and never really worked on to polished completion

I listened to Never again will I be a twin, and then I listened to Johnny’s Walk Into The Sea... Can I love both and be forgiven?

Lillywhites recording of Morrissey’s voice on Vauxhall is for me the best. Though, must give credit to the songs too and the way Morrissey approached them in his delivery. If you listen closely you can hear Morrissey’s bling jangle.

On these 3 new tracks, just feel Joe C could have done something’s to his voice, it would give the songs some sense of change and ear candy, also it would compliment the effects on the guitars and synth sounds.

I listened to Never again will I be a twin, and then I listened to Johnny’s Walk Into The Sea... Can I love both and be forgiven?

Yes, of course, but "Walk into the Sea" is a masterpiece and "Never Again Will I Be a Twin" is merely a curiosity.

I would balk at the suggestion that the music is lacklustre. Mando Lopez in particular has written some excellent songs for Morrissey. Some of the musical work on World Peace Is None Of Your Business (in particular) and Low In High School (less so) is sparkling and wonderful. The vocal melodies on some of the songs from this decade have been spectacularly good. It's the lyrics that are a problem. It's rare nowadays to find a Morrissey song where the lyrics seem complete and coherent. There are still good lyrical sections, but rarely do full songs emerge.

Even the strongest lyrics – 'Earth Is The Loneliest Planet'; 'Forgive Someone'; 'Mountjoy'; 'The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel'; 'Israel' (amongst others) often contain clunking or cliched phrases that are difficult to live with.

In general, and I didn't imagine I'd be saying this as I've become as tired of some of his statements and behaviour as anyone else recently, but the consistency of Morrissey's output for a man now almost sixty is astonishing, compared to his peers.

The vocal melodies are still powerful; the music is inconsistent but rarely intolerable and sometimes excellent ('Istanbul'; 'Earth Is The Loneliest Planet'; 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'; 'Israel'; 'Staircase At The University', amongst others).

If only he would rediscover his strongest lyrical capacities, he could still pull out a few new classics.

4 of the 6 WPINOYB bonus tracks 2014 & the 2 giveaways of 2018 belong to the best material Morrissey & band put out since Quarry. The music is vintage & tasteful. Morrissey croons like some kind of 60s Dean Martin. That's the way I want my US-Moz if I can't have his old northern english attitude anymore.

Actually, back in the real world, they are three really nice songs. They feel like the strong b-side quality of Quarry/Ringleader/Refusal but have their own particular quality: dark, moody, loose. It almost feels like Morrissey is ad-libbing and being a bit free and bluesy. He knows they're not out and out classics, hence they weren't on the album and are only extra tracks. But they are smart, amusing, and you can hum them after one listen - unlike his former collaborator's recent material. I like them a lot.

I concur with this view. The song are okay, but not great. I enjoy listening to them at this moment, but I doubt that I will still listen to them one year from now. And that's how it has been for the past 20 years or so. Occasionally, he comes up with a B-side that is truly fantastic (think Lost, Unfinished symphonies, Friday morning, Christian Dior, Art-Hounds or Blue dreamers eye), but most of the time, B-sides are just B-sides and no classics. In principal, I find it a good thing that the music is still evolving, even though the results are mixed and Lover To Be is not my cup of tea (no fan of the Doors). And the lyrics are average.

I'm underwhelmed by the three "new songs". Not worthy of the great album. Still I would but the Deluxe if it were on CD

Back
Top Bottom