Three brand new Morrissey songs to be released on 7th December

imma Doors fan :cool:

You spelled "dumpster fire" wrong.

giphy.gif

Remember Alain's God-awful "Ganglord" rehash from the other thread? Well "This Song Doesn't End..." makes that look like Last Night I Dreamt. My God.

And "Lover to Be" makes me think he'd had a bottle of vodka, decided to mess about and someone recorded it. The weird, breathy vocals - "Oh, OH, I have nothing to say." You're not kidding!

These tracks should have stayed buried. Awful.

Thank you!!!!!! #truthhurts

Actually, back in the real world, they are three really nice songs. They feel like the strong b-side quality of Quarry/Ringleader/Refusal but have their own particular quality: dark, moody, loose. It almost feels like Morrissey is ad-libbing and being a bit free and bluesy. He knows they're not out and out classics, hence they weren't on the album and are only extra tracks. But they are smart, amusing, and you can hum them after one listen - unlike his former collaborator's recent material. I like them a lot.

Last edited:
Actually, back in the real world, they are three really nice songs. They feel like the strong b-side quality of Quarry/Ringleader/Refusal but have their own particular quality: dark, moody, loose.

Let’s be serious, if you think any of these 3 songs are remotely of similar quality to the Quarry/Ringleader/Refusal b-sides then you need your ears checked.

Actually, back in the real world, they are three really nice songs. They feel like the strong b-side quality of Quarry/Ringleader/Refusal but have their own particular quality: dark, moody, loose. It almost feels like Morrissey is ad-libbing and being a bit free and bluesy. He knows they're not out and out classics, hence they weren't on the album and are only extra tracks. But they are smart, amusing, and you can hum them after one listen - unlike his former collaborators recent material. I like them a lot.

The Quarry B-sides were absolutely fantastic, I don't know how you can compare them with this...dreck, for want of a better word.

Remember Alain's God-awful "Ganglord" rehash from the other thread? Well "This Song Doesn't End..." makes that look like Last Night I Dreamt. My God.

And "Lover to Be" makes me think he'd had a bottle of vodka, decided to mess about and someone recorded it. The weird, breathy vocals - "Oh, OH, I have nothing to say." You're not kidding!

These tracks should have stayed buried. Awful.

I agree with most of what you post Amy, and maybe I am misunderstanding what you meant, but this song and it's lyrics is so beautiful that it moves me every time I hear it:

Last night I dreamt
That somebody loved me
No hope, no harm
Just another false alarm
Last night I felt
Real arms around me
No hope, no harm
Just another false alarm
So, tell me how long
Before the last one?
And tell me how long
Before the right one?...comes along
The story is old - I know
But it goes on
But it goes on
Oh, goes on
And on
Oh, goes on
And on

With the stringed backing it is a clear example of the direction that Marr was interested in taking the music, and I thought the album was very strong and a clear departure from the past and a glimpse into where the band might be headed, but then it ended. I can't name more than a handful of songs they ever recorded as a band that I still to this day do not enjoy listening to and this surely isn't one of them.

I agree with most of what you post Amy, and maybe I am misunderstanding what you meant, but this song and it's lyrics is so beautiful that it moves me every time I hear it:

Last night I dreamt
That somebody loved me
No hope, no harm
Just another false alarm
Last night I felt
Real arms around me
No hope, no harm
Just another false alarm
So, tell me how long
Before the last one?
And tell me how long
Before the right one?...comes along
But it goes on
But it goes on
Oh, goes on
And on
Oh, goes on
And on

With the stringed backing it is a clear example of the direction that Marr was interested in taking the music, and I thought the album was very strong and a clear departure from the past and a glimpse into where the band might be headed, but then it ended. I can't name more than a handful of songs they ever recorded as a band that I still to this day do not enjoy listening to and this surely isn't one of them.

Hi Evennow,

I just meant that the recent crop are so bad, they make a terrible song (The Experiment) sound like a masterpiece (Last Night) by comparison. Last Night is amazing and hasn't aged a day - Morrissey and Johnny have both said it's one of their favourites.

The Quarry B-sides were absolutely fantastic, I don't know how you can compare them with this...dreck, for want of a better word.

Ah, but that's one of his best b-sides, of course.

But I probably prefer these songs to Slums Mums, Teenage Dad, Two People, Children In Pieces, Sweetie-Pie, I Knew I Was Next, perhaps even Munich Air Disaster. I'd have them about on a par with things like If You Don't Like Me, Hard To Walk Tall and Shame Is The Name. I do think they are of a similar quality to loads of those b-sides. Without them being truly great, of course.

Let’s be serious, if you think any of these 3 songs are remotely of similar quality to the Quarry/Ringleader/Refusal b-sides then you need your ears checked.

Actually, I just had them checked the other day!

But what can I say, I know these songs aren't classics - I just like them. As much as I love Alain, I'd rather have root canal work than listen to his version of Ganglord again.

Last edited:
Hi Evennow,

I just meant that the recent crop are so bad, they make a terrible song (The Experiment) sound like a masterpiece (Last Night) by comparison. Last Night is amazing and hasn't aged a day - Morrissey and Johnny have both said it's one of their favourites.

I'm glad you feel this way...I thought I must have misunderstood given we normally are on the same page regarding his music. What a song like The Experiment does though is shine a light on Morrissey's skill as a lyricist and vocalist.

To anyone who says that The Smiths would still be relevant today, or would even have reached the level of recognition they have without Morrissey is deluded. And just as crucial is the music that Johnny created to carry and spark Moz's creativity in such wonderful ways. The two are eternally linked and inseparable even if those that created such masterpieces are not.

Years ago I used to have this 1960s, kidney- shaped gold bar in the corner of my ..... salon. Ahem. It was a stunningly beautiful piece, and straight out of James Bond. I’d put the records on, and people would never want to leave. A large part of why I said goodbye to it in the end. I don’t like anything that feels like a tie that binds. The bar was in my inner sanctum, the inner sanctum was for dancing, and these songs make me wish I had the lights dimmed in my old place, and my gold James Bond bar back to dance around... because these songs are for people who love to dance. Lover-To-Be is exquisite, and is for the spaceship ride into outer space.

Black Tie Required.

Actually, back in the real world, they are three really nice songs. They feel like the strong b-side quality of Quarry/Ringleader/Refusal but have their own particular quality: dark, moody, loose. It almost feels like Morrissey is ad-libbing and being a bit free and bluesy. He knows they're not out and out classics, hence they weren't on the album and are only extra tracks. But they are smart, amusing, and you can hum them after one listen - unlike his former collaborators recent material. I like them a lot.

They have their own particular quality alright (i.e. not very good) and I think its a stretch putting them up there with the Quarry/Ringleader/Refusal b-sides. Heck, they aren't even as good as the worst bonus tracks on the World Peace deluxe edition. They feel like experimental throwaways and Morrissey was quite right to opt for live cover versions to include on the LIHS singles rather than this dreck. Even he knows these would tarnish his fantastic b-sides reputation. At least he knows...

They have their own particular quality alright (i.e. not very good) and I think its a stretch putting them up there with the Quarry/Ringleader/Refusal b-sides. Heck, they aren't even as good as the worst bonus tracks on the World Peace deluxe edition. They feel like experimental throwaways and Morrissey was quite right to opt for live cover versions to include on the LIHS singles rather than this dreck. Even he knows these would tarnish his fantastic b-sides reputation. At least he knows...

Well, that's me told. I just feel so bad for finding them enjoyable and entertaining.

The three new songs add nothing more to the overall impression of LIHS. Also for me they have more the character of B-sides and they would be the weakest since the comeback in 2004. "Never again will I be a twin" sounds like the late Blondie with an uninspired discobeat. Heard a thousand times! The already mentioned constant repetition of apparently important phrases, the non-existence of igniting choruses also shows up in "Lover-to-be", which I had hoped for a lot. Not a song you like to hear again and again like earlier solo pieces. Even with "This song..." I don't get warm despite all my efforts. You look for melody lines again and shimmy along the boring song. Meanwhile, I believe that the two gifts of reparation to the fans of this year, date from older sessions and were not meant for LIHS @ all. "Chain Gang", on the other hand, has become fantastic and gives courage for 2019. Unfortunately, I don't believe that Morrissey will change his musicians, songwriters and the producer again. "If we go down, then we go down fighting (and really really big in latin america)", seems the motto.
Yesterday, I took "This is Morrissey" with me out of sentimentality, when I bought the LIHS-Deluxe. Needless to say, the record runs more often than LIHS.

Little european fan, what now?

I'm glad you feel this way...I thought I must have misunderstood given we normally are on the same page regarding his music. What a song like The Experiment does though is shine a light on Morrissey's skill as a lyricist and vocalist.

To anyone who says that The Smiths would still be relevant today, or would even have reached the level of recognition they have without Morrissey is deluded. And just as crucial is the music that Johnny created to carry and spark Moz's creativity in such wonderful ways. The two are eternally linked and inseparable even if those that created such masterpieces are not.

Couldn't agree more, but I have such fondness for Alain that I can't help cringing a bit at the Ganglord thing. He's a much better singer than Boz, for example, but Boz' solo 'attempt' was much better - though God knows what he's actually saying:

Blows my mind to think that Johnny got the stink-eye from Moz for sessioning with people like Everything but the Girl and Quando Quango during the Smiths period, but his modern musicians can have full-blown solo releases like this and he's fine with it.

Last edited:
Even though I've said the other two songs (Lover-To-Be and This Song Doesn't End...) are rather forgettable, after further listens it is interesting to find bits of the old magic in places, it can be Morrissey's turn of phrase or just a little inflection here or there.
I am thinking about the part where he goes "do you recall when I was in love with you? do you recall the lengths I would go to? I must have been out of my mind". I find myself singing those words aloud, time and time again, despite the fact that the rest of the song does nothing for me.

Which takes me back to something we have all been discussing here for years, the music he is being given to work with is simply not up to scratch and it hasn't been for a long time, few exceptions aside.

I know what you mean. But a nice little part or some kind of reminiscence (in parts"I bury the living" f.e.) isn't enough. I tried to like his latter-day output but it hasn't got the charms of old. Listening to something like "Whatever happens I love you" even worries me, how B-sides from 1995 are much better than album tracks from 2014-2018. Better in a sense of being more fitting, interesting & exciting than all the recent music.

Even though I've said the other two songs (Lover-To-Be and This Song Doesn't End...) are rather forgettable, after further listens it is interesting to find bits of the old magic in places, it can be Morrissey's turn of phrase or just a little inflection here or there.
I am thinking about the part where he goes "do you recall when I was in love with you? do you recall the lengths I would go to? I must have been out of my mind". I find myself singing those words aloud, time and time again, despite the fact that the rest of the song does nothing for me.

Which takes me back to something we have all been discussing here for years, the music he is being given to work with is simply not up to scratch and it hasn't been for a long time, few exceptions aside.

I have to disagree with this. The music isn't as bad as a lot of people say (except the Jesse Tobias songs, they generally are poor) - it's the lyrics that let them down. They're either just long, rambling nonsense or Morrissey repeating the same lines over and over again. And it is specifically the lyrics, as the vocal melodies are usually quite good.

I know what you mean. But a nice little part or some kind of reminiscence (in parts"I bury the living" f.e.) isn't enough. I tried to like his latter-day output but it hasn't got the charms of old. Listening to something like "Whatever happens I love you" even worries me, how B-sides from 1995 are much better than album tracks from 2014-2018. Better in a sense of being more fitting, interesting & exciting than all the recent music.

But I think that is the key issue, the music.
I'm not saying Morrissey is blameless, however the deterioration in the quality of the tunes and the lack of any kind of melody is plain for all to hear, anybody would struggle to come up with decent songs if presented with such uninspired/uninspiring music.

I have to disagree with this. The music isn't as bad as a lot of people say (except the Jesse Tobias songs, they generally are poor) - it's the lyrics that let them down. They're either just long, rambling nonsense or Morrissey repeating the same lines over and over again. And it is specifically the lyrics, as the vocal melodies are usually quite good.

There are clunky lyrics now and there were clunky lyrics then.
They seem to crop up more and more frequently these days though, can't argue with that.

Back
Top Bottom