Thoughts on the 2017 Mozza biopic 'England Is Mine?'

Mozagoth!

Lost on Maudlin Street
Thoughts on the film? https://letterboxd.com/film/england-is-mine/

Personally, I thought it was pretty bad, and that seems to be the general consensus, though I have seen some very positive reviews, too. I can't say I've read Morrissey's auto-biography yet so I can't vouch for the factual accuracy, but of course the film has no rights for the music and so is forced to depict the time right before The Smiths were formed. The cinematography is pretty and the performances are great - I think Jack Lowden is a fantastic actor and plays Morrissey well, or at least what he's given, but the problem is the script. Even taken as just a kitchen-sink film about detachment and isolation and to some degree, mental illness, it's weak, it's saccharine, it's aggressively conventional, but mostly it's just sinfully boring. There are a couple good moments here and there - but this is taking it just as a film. In my view it captures a farcical parody of the essence of Morrissey as an artist and person, at best a highly flawed pastiche.

Interested to hear views from other Morrissey fans.

Extremely boring. I'm not sure why anyone thought Morrissey's dull, dole shut-in years would be a good subject for a film. You spend the whole thing waiting for Johnny to knock on his door, and then it's over.

Extremely boring. I'm not sure why anyone thought Morrissey's dull, dole shut-in years would be a good subject for a film. You spend the whole thing waiting for Johnny to knock on his door, and then it's over.
i guess its the only part of his life they could make a film about without people questioning why the hell none of The Smiths music is used.
it was particularly jarring for me bc i watched it right after watching the incredible Ian Curtis biopic 'Control' which is the absolute antithesis of this film.

I enjoyed it. I thought it really set the scene and explained what Morrissey was kicking against in the dreary 1970/80s of Manchester. I also found the dialogue amusing and there are hints of what's to come. For instance, lording it over his sister at the breakfast table when he's found his first bit of success pre-Smiths and then how devastated he was when Billy Duffy left for London without him. The movie requires a bit of patience and willingness to immerse yourself in the life of an introverted weirdo who might have come to nothing if Johnny had never sought him out.

I enjoyed it. I thought it really set the scene and explained what Morrissey was kicking against in the dreary 1970/80s of Manchester. I also found the dialogue amusing and there are hints of what's to come. For instance, lording it over his sister at the breakfast table when he's found his first bit of success pre-Smiths and then how devastated he was when Billy Duffy left for London without him. The movie requires a bit of patience and willingness to immerse yourself in the life of an introverted weirdo who might have come to nothing if Johnny had never sought him out.
I appreciated these aspects, and there were some humorous moments, but they were littered too thinly for me. the pacing was rather abysmal and the film ending on effectively a cliff-hanger didn't help. it did have a good sense of place, but it ultimately did not delve into Morrissey's headspace enough and in an interesting enough way for me to consider the slow-burn worthwhile, other than for the performances - and I'm the first person to relate to an introverted discontent hypercritical weirdo who will probably come to nothing. I could at most give the film a 5/10. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, believe me my Film Studies course makes me sit through some absolute trash. But it's a shame, the cast were worthy of something special.

I liked it, I'd watch it again. You can't compare it to Control tho because that was absolutely amazing. Am I the only person who started sobbing when Atmosphere was played at the end? You knew it was coming and you knew what they were saving it for.

I appreciated these aspects, and there were some humorous moments, but they were littered too thinly for me. the pacing was rather abysmal and the film ending on effectively a cliff-hanger didn't help. it did have a good sense of place, but it ultimately did not delve into Morrissey's headspace enough and in an interesting enough way for me to consider the slow-burn worthwhile, other than for the performances - and I'm the first person to relate to an introverted discontent hypercritical weirdo who will probably come to nothing. I could at most give the film a 5/10. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, believe me my Film Studies course makes me sit through some absolute trash. But it's a shame, the cast were worthy of something special.

I read that the director could absolutely not portray Morrissey as gay because they were afraid of a lawsuit. To me, that is a big part of what is missing in that movie and why you can’t get into his headspace.

It was good as a build up to The Smiths, the next movie during The Smiths is needed, without it the movie feels incomplete. Agreed Control was excellent.

It was an enjoyable enough film, if one could
block out that it’s supposed to be about Morrissey before The Smiths. Control was better.

Controversially, England is Mine is one of my favourite films ever - both as a Morrissey/Smiths fan and a regular viewer.

It's simple yet heartfelt and, although directed by a lifelong fan, doesn't go the trite and traditional route of relying exclusively on famous tunes (even if it's for copyright reasons). It feels fresh everytime I watch it, while also addressing some deeper topics of depression, self-identification, family issues, friendship, etc. in a fleeting yet touching manner.

Contrary to the popular opinon, I also liked the fact that it only covers the premise of the band - how it came to be - once again avoiding the trivial 'birth-fall-rise of the hero' trope.

It seems very human to me, while also staying true to the man behind it.

Last edited:
Controversially, England is Mine is one of my favourite films ever - both as a Morrissey/Smiths fan and a regular viewer.

It's simple yet heartfelt and, although directed by a lifelong fan, doesn't go the trite and traditional route of relying exclusively on famous tunes (even if it's for copyright reasons). It feels fresh everytime I watch it, while also addressing some deeper topics of depression, self-identification, family issues, friendship, etc. in a fleeting yet touching manner.

Contrary to the popular opinon, I also liked the fact that it only covers the premise of the band - how it came to be - once again avoiding the trivial 'birth-fall-rise of the hero' trope.

It seems very human to me, while also staying true to the man behind it.

yes, so ‘true to the man’.

"Mark Gill's England is Mine is a lie.

This is not our family or how we lived.

It is an OFFENSIVE misrepresentation.

He has made a shambles of a glorious opportunity."

-Jacqueline Morrissey
September 5, 2017.

Not seen it but I'd love to and I'm very easily pleased.
bit like myself,easily pleased thats me,M could sing the speaking clock and i would still like it.ps do you still get the speaking clock and i wonder what the number is.

Last edited:
watched it when it came out,remember very little about it and that almost sums it up,not great,not terrible.
you pays yer money and you takes yer chances.

yes, so ‘true to the man’.

"Mark Gill's England is Mine is a lie.

This is not our family or how we lived.

It is an OFFENSIVE misrepresentation.

He has made a shambles of a glorious opportunity."

-Jacqueline Morrissey
September 5, 2017.

True to the man in spirit perhaps - I cannot judge the factual content, for isn't any film a subjective take on a subject anyway?

I am aware of the backlash the film has faced, although I can hardly see anything 'offensive' about it.

Last edited:
True to the man in spirit perhaps -
Perhaps.
I cannot judge the factual content, for isn't any film a subjective take on a subject anyway?
Sure. As long as we know we’re watching a fiction.
I am aware of the backlash the film has faced, although I can hardly see anything 'offensive' about it.

She may have been offended because it wasn’t an honest portrayal. Guess we’d have to be there.

Nothing wrong with enjoying it, I did.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the film? https://letterboxd.com/film/england-is-mine/

Personally, I thought it was pretty bad, and that seems to be the general consensus, though I have seen some very positive reviews, too. I can't say I've read Morrissey's auto-biography yet so I can't vouch for the factual accuracy, but of course the film has no rights for the music and so is forced to depict the time right before The Smiths were formed. The cinematography is pretty and the performances are great - I think Jack Lowden is a fantastic actor and plays Morrissey well, or at least what he's given, but the problem is the script. Even taken as just a kitchen-sink film about detachment and isolation and to some degree, mental illness, it's weak, it's saccharine, it's aggressively conventional, but mostly it's just sinfully boring. There are a couple good moments here and there - but this is taking it just as a film. In my view it captures a farcical parody of the essence of Morrissey as an artist and person, at best a highly flawed pastiche.

Interested to hear views from other Morrissey fans.

I have not seen it and don't really feel the need to. It can't be as interesting as your review. Very well put. The trailer came off as weak sauce to me.

Tags
biopic england is mine film morrissey
Back
Top Bottom