This Week in Smithstory, Part 2 (March 31st-April 1st)

This week in Smithstory (March 31st-April 6th)

Part 2. Let's hope that this generates more discussion than the first one did, because it sure takes me a f***load of time to do these.

RELEASES

1985: "Barbarism Begins at Home" single (Germany & Italy, [unknown date])
1987: Louder Than Bombs album (US & Canada [16th or 31st])
1991: "Sing Your Life" single (UK [1st])
1998: "Rare Tracks" compilation EP (Japan [1st])
2005: "Redondo Beach" / "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" single (US [5th])
2005: Live at Earls Court album (UK & Europe [4th])
2005: "You Have Killed Me" single (Germany [31st])
2006: Ringleader of the Tormentors album (Ireland [31st], UK [3rd], USA/Canada [4th], Japan [5th])

GIGS

1985: Final week of the Meat Is Murder tour
2000: Final week of the Oye Esteban tour

TV & RADIO

1984:
  • (?): Charlie's Bus (UK) (YouTube)
2000: TV appearances
  • 4th: En Vivo San Pablo (Brazil), 4 songs from the previous night's performance at The Olympia (download video)

2006: TV appearances
  • 31st/1st: Album Chart Show (Channel 4, UK)
  • 2nd: T4 On The Pitch (Channel 4, UK)
  • 6th: 4Music Presents (Channel 4, UK)

cossy and/or others, if you have download or YouTube links for the other TV appearances, I'd be happy to add them. Stephane, please add whatever sessionography info you have. And Flax, I'm sorely tempted to link to the scans on your site for each of the releases, but I don't want to put undue stress on your server. (Maybe you can post copies on a Photobucket account?)

Last edited:
I don't mean to be crude but maybe someone could make this thread sticky as it's an excellent reference to use throughout the week.

Wonderful! Thanks very much for doing this!

When I made my first Moz calendar (18 Months Hard Labour -- an 18 month - duh - calendar in the late 90s), I asked Stephane if he could come up with some important dates in Smiths/Moz history.

It was kind of arbitrary which ones I actually ended up including. For example, if a month wasn't already filled wtih obvious holidays and burfdays of Moz heros, bandmates, and friends receiving this calendar, then I would put " X single released on this day in 198x". In July I arbitrarily included Bastille Day and then Bastard Day (one I made up for the week following). I also randomly included "for someone somewhere, it's 20 years, 7 months, and 27 days" in a month sparse with historical dates.

Wonderful! Thanks very much for doing this!

When I made my first Moz calendar (18 Months Hard Labour -- an 18 month - duh - calendar in the late 90s), I asked Stephane if he could come up with some important dates in Smiths/Moz history.

It was kind of arbitrary which ones I actually ended up including. For example, if a month wasn't already filled wtih obvious holidays and burfdays of Moz heros, bandmates, and friends receiving this calendar, then I would put " X single released on this day in 198x". In July I arbitrarily included Bastille Day and then Bastard Day (one I made up for the week following). I also randomly included "for someone somewhere, it's 20 years, 7 months, and 27 days" in a month sparse with historical dates.

Please do add stuff like that. I briefly Wiki'd the usual suspects to find out their birthdays, but didn't tabulate anything. I want this to be a collaborative effort. It'd also be fun to include links to interviews, sightings, etc.--just about anything and everything, although I think that stuff like Oscar Wilde's birthday is stretching it a bit.

Okay! Not much is going on for March 31st-April 1st.

Download the dates portion to see relevant burfdays and important dates etc.

In 2006, for Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday, I put in the Morrissey handwriting font (your compy has to have it installed for it to show up right) Little lamb on a hill run fast if you can / Good Christians want to kill you / And your life has not even begun. Also for April 1st (April Fool's Day) I put in the notation that Morrissey made his starring role debut in a XXX film eating a double bacon cheeseburger. That year's photo for April showed an adult performer who looked a lot like Moz getting his hand(s) on the oversized mammary gland(s) of his blonde co-star.

Wow
23 years ago today I saw The Smiths at Manchester's Palace Theatre:guitar:
James were the support band but I missed them as I was trying to get a ticket outside, the touts were asking for £15 a ticket but I only had £10 on me - face value was £5
My friend suggested I went into the booking office and ask if they have any returns. So I did and they did:eek:
I remember the women saying 'it's on the back row of the stalls, is that a problem'?

Whilst outside, a big posh car turned up and Tony Wilson got out of it with a women and they went into the back stage door via a round of boo's and hisses!

Jukebox Jury

Wow
23 years ago today I saw The Smiths at Manchester's Palace Theatre:guitar:
James were the support band but I missed them as I was trying to get a ticket outside, the touts were asking for £15 a ticket but I only had £10 on me - face value was £5
My friend suggested I went into the booking office and ask if they have any returns. So I did and they did:eek:
I remember the women saying 'it's on the back row of the stalls, is that a problem'?

Whilst outside, a big posh car turned up and Tony Wilson got out of it with a women and they went into the back stage door via a round of boo's and hisses!

Jukebox Jury

aww what a great memory! :)

Yay! It's the 2nd Anniversary of T4 On the Pitch!

Where's the cake! (And not the one I sent you NRitH. :()

Back
Top Bottom