"This sorrowful Canada" - Morrissey statement on true-to-you.net

I really wish he'd stop with the eyeroll-inducing "PLACE YOURSELF AMONG THEM" emotional appeals. He's capable of putting forward a strong argument without them, so I'm not sure why he feels the need.

Ummmmm, I don't mean to burst your bubble but CLEARLY since Istanbul is a phonetic anagram of It's Anne Boleyn, the song is going to be about the ghost of a martyred, witchy queen.

Anneboleyn2.jpg

Ohhh looky there...what's that? A red rose? SUCK IT AZOO LOO'S!!!!!!!!

Read my post again, jackass.

I said he pledges his love for Istanbul, and he has. Yet, he cannot man up an criticize the government. Typical.

"There were days when he felt contempt for these absurd people; they were unreal, not to be counted seriously among the earth's inhabitants." - from _The Sheltering Sky_ by Paul Bowles, p. 268

Bring it on, the humans should surely be wiped off the face of the earth, the sooner the better, considering the way they treat other living species and other humans it can't come soon enough. Let the animals take over and start again from scratch

"The seal hunt in Canada is struggling to make a start this year due to almost no markets, and China especially is refusing to sell Canadian seal meat. Thank you, China!"

The "subspecies" came through, then? Oh good.
I know, right, I'll be sure to let people know here that he said thank you :p
as for the issue at hand, is it barbaric? of course
will it end, only when it is no longer profitable, its as simple as that
however, if even after that day comes, and it will
and still some native people and only native people want to hunt some seals
well, it feels a bit icky dontcha think trampling on the rights of people like that in the name of animals?
as for boycotting Canada, once again, it comes down to $
its "affordable" for Moz to say he won't play there because it only has 30 some odd million people
a small fraction of whom are fans of his, many of whom just go to his shows south of the border or across the pond I suspect :o

I'm glad Morrissey is stioll boycotting Canada. You can't help but feel that the Canadian people are a subspecies.

He's boycotting Canada, but seems to like playing concerts in cities (sorry, small towns) that border huge Canadian population centres. Both Niagara Falls and Buffalo are small population centers, yet they're only an hour from Toronto, a city sprawl of 6,800,000. He has done the same with concert dates in "seemingly" remote towns in Vermont (an hour from Montreal, with millions of fans), or Washington State, just 20 minutes from Vancouver, B.C. See, Moz is a businessman, not a real activist - his money and fame come first. He launches an attack on Canada, weeks before his album release (AGAIN), picks on the poor Canadians, refuses to play in their country, but hosts concerts in shitty little border towns, knowing full well all those concerts will be seen by Canadian fans. He's an asshole, and a hypocrite. He has played Turkey, which has NO animals rights, he plays loads of other nations worse than Canada for animal-rights violations, yet picks on Canada because he knows he can make his money and still stand his shitty ground, all at once. As for his applauding China, the "sub-species", well... his self-serving nature apparently knows no bounds.... A complete idiot, that man.

I don't know why I'm getting involved in a debate which will no doubt stretch to 50 pages of idiocy but here goes...

Surely if he's playing towns near Canada he's giving Canadian people a chance to come and see him without putting money into the pockets of the Canadian government and in so doing not smiting Canadians but the Canadian government?

Read my post again, jackass.

I said he pledges his love for Istanbul, and he has. Yet, he cannot man up an criticize the government. Typical.

So?

I've been to Istanbul and didn't really like it. I f***ing hate Morrissey for liking it, how dare he?

Morrissey is obviously a complete nob, he must be as he doesn't do things exactly how everyone on Solo thinks he should. What a rotter.

I don't know why I'm getting involved in a debate which will no doubt stretch to 50 pages of idiocy but here goes...

Surely if he's playing towns near Canada he's giving Canadian people a chance to come and see him without putting money into the pockets of the Canadian government and in so doing not smiting Canadians but the Canadian government?

I don't see him sticking it to the British government after literally years of whining about the royals, the prime ministers, immigration, bearskin hats, fox hunting, etc.

He plays border towns because it is cheaper and he's more likely to sell out the venue...which is what really counts. The revenue he would generate is a drop in the bucket to the Canadian government and wouldn't make a difference either way concerning the seal hunt. But you know what it could make a difference towards? Paying for chemotherapy for a child with cancer...feeding the homeless...funding the educational system. But no, it makes more sense to him to pump Canadian money into the economy of a country that spends it on spying on it's citizens and million dollar dinner parties for the President. It is ridiculous how he chooses to boycott what is probably the most laughably docile country in the world over one thing but pardons other countries with multiple human and animal rights offenses (that he regularly complains about) from his "wrath."

The bottom line is that Morrissey is a hypocrite and he will bend his supposed principles to the breaking point if it means making himself another dollar or saving one.

It essentially all boils down to this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Twas ever thus. Record coming out, animal rights statement, name in press, people talking about him, buy my record. It's just business. And if you don't believe me, go and read the leaked letter to Sanctuary in 2006 where he railed against their publicists not taking advantage of his animal rights comments in the press. It's a game, it's business.

P.

Last edited:
"The seal hunt in Canada is struggling to make a start this year due to almost no markets, and China especially is refusing to sell Canadian seal meat. Thank you, China!"

The "subspecies" came through, then? Oh good.

I assume he's been offered a series of concerts by a Chinese promoter, so is doing some pre-emptive P.R so he can land safely in Shanghai. It's too big a market territory to ignore nowadays, revenue wise. It's not like Canada, where he can just play border towns in Vermont to service the punters.

Crazy idea, but Morrissey *COULD* launch his new album with a series of concerts around the world in those countries whose animal rights regime irk him (UK, Canada, China) and donate a % of the profits and a large amount of publicity to those organisations that are actually trying to improve the situation.

Is there any documented evidence of Morrissey ever supporting the fight against the seal hunt in Canada with some Loonies? He was quick to publicise his donation to an anti-racist group when his career was on a cliff-edge. He's not shy about boasting about his imagined ethical superiority to others, so it would be good to hear exactly what he's done about the Badger Crisis in the UK or the Seal Slaughter in Canada, other than issue a press release to "build press momentum" in the international corporate marketing department of his employer/label for his new record release. Like any other corporate rock whore "performing seal"

Once again, Morrissey makes an eejit of himself:

" Is this a death that Gail Shea would wish for herself? Would it make her happy to be shot by a high-powered rifle? If she considers such butchery to be so "humane", why doesn't she place herself amongst the tens of thousands of grey-coated harp seals that will be slaughtered within the next few weeks? She could then test the humane aspect of having her head blown off for herself. Only then could she be thought to speak with any authority on the subject."

Presumably, Morrissey will contact Ms Shea via a seance/ouija board once she's disguised herself as a seal and had her brains blown out to test if she can "speak with any authority on the subject" from beyond the grave. Is that what Morrissey is planning to do? Disrupt the hunt by dressing up as a seal? Abandon 5* Hotel room service and put his life at risk "for the seals"?

Years ago, this twit said "I never perform, only seals perform". Never mind the overt cognitive dissonance of disrespect to the plight of circus seals in this quip, he DOES perform like a seal. Expect a drip-feed of inconsequential 'controversial' TTY statements as the 'excitement' builds towards the release of WPINOYB. Well, unless he puts his loonies where his mouth is: "Canadian Seals Are None Of Your Business".

Upon first reading Logic teacher gives a B+. :thumb:

No wonder the US education system is in such a mess.

- - - Updated - - -

Ummmmm, I don't mean to burst your bubble but CLEARLY since Istanbul is a phonetic anagram of It's Anne Boleyn, the song is going to be about the ghost of a martyred, witchy queen.

Anneboleyn2.jpg

Ohhh looky there...what's that? A red rose? SUCK IT AZOO LOO'S!!!!!!!!

Wrong thread. Did you mean to post this 'off-topic-ness' to your "symbolic" diary? Or are you just trying to derail this thread because it contains criticisms of your Spirit Guide?

Bring it on, the humans should surely be wiped off the face of the earth, the sooner the better, considering the way they treat other living species and other humans it can't come soon enough. Let the animals take over and start again from scratch

Interesting. I keep having a dream where I design a virus that makes humans allergic to animal flesh, leather and fur. I release it at Heathrow Airport and it spreads across the world within days. I also release another virus to put all farmed animals to sleep painlessly and make large areas of habitat safe for predator animals by making the air poisonous (Avatar-like) to humans. I'm musing whether to turn it into a full-on book/manifesto. I'm scanning Margaret Atwood to check I haven't nicked too much of it from "Oryx and Crake"/"Year Of The Flood"/"MaddAdam". I'm thinking "Da Vinci Code" spoof with the Holy Grail of the virus antidote hidden somewhere the carnivores and destructors will have to spend 2 millenia to find...or I might just leave it as an amusing dream.

Margaret Atwood's a Canuck. As a writer, I think she's *slightly* more intellectually demanding than Mr Penguin Classic. But let's see what his 'novel' is like...ahem!

I don't see him sticking it to the British government after literally years of whining about the royals, the prime ministers, immigration, bearskin hats, fox hunting, etc.

He plays border towns because it is cheaper and he's more likely to sell out the venue...which is what really counts. The revenue he would generate is a drop in the bucket to the Canadian government and wouldn't make a difference either way concerning the seal hunt. But you know what it could make a difference towards? Paying for chemotherapy for a child with cancer...feeding the homeless...funding the educational system. But no, it makes more sense to him to pump Canadian money into the economy of a country that spends it on spying on it's citizens and million dollar dinner parties for the President. It is ridiculous how he chooses to boycott what is probably the most laughably docile country in the world over one thing but pardons other countries with multiple human and animal rights offenses (that he regularly complains about) from his "wrath."

The bottom line is that Morrissey is a hypocrite and he will bend his supposed principles to the breaking point if it means making himself another dollar or saving one.

It essentially all boils down to this...

Well yes, still doesn't mean that Canadians can't go and see him for pretty much the same money as if he was going to Canada though. The meltdown after he boycotted 'em the last time was laughable, who gives a f***?

Last edited by a moderator:
""In a post on Ellen’s blog, the selfie-loving talk show host dramatically referred to the Canadian seal hunt as “one of the most atrocious and inhumane acts against animals allowed by any government.”

It’s great to know that DeGeneres—who I assume spends most of her daily life driving between a Beverly Hills mansion, a Beverly Hills condo and whatever studio she films her show at—still finds the time pass judgment on how people live outside of La La Land. In a weird way, it’s commendable. Where would we be without a talk show host in LA, providing a moral compass on Arctic ethics?

"For Ellen or Paul McCartney or whoever it may be, hunting seals is a choice issue to pick on. Why do you think they avoid going after something with a bigger impact like, say, the increased shipping or mining?

"..... it’s low hanging fruit......."

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/we-spoke-to-the-inuit-women-behind-sealfies

Let's paraphrase that one:

"In a post on Morrissey's 'blog', the self-loving troll/pop-star dramatically referred to the Canadian seal hunt as “greedy and barbaric, and it is dismaying to witness such ignorance in 2014. Sound reason tells us that only those of the thinnest intellect wear animal fur, and because the Canadian government are concerned with animals only economically, killing baby seals with lightning brutality is now Canada's primary global image. Until this annual massacre is abolished, Canada itself is regrettably fashionably dead"

It’s great to know that Morrissey—who I assume spends most of his daily life driving between a Beverly Hills mansion, a Beverly Hills hotel and whatever recording studio he films his album at—still finds the time pass judgment on how people live outside of La La Land. In a weird way, it’s commendable. Where would we be without a pop-star in LA, providing a moral compass on Arctic ethics?

And where would the misguided Inuit folk be if Morrissey wasn't setting them right about their culture? Don't they know that "that only those of the thinnest intellect wear animal fur" ? And that their attempts to retain elements of their ancestor's culture renders them "regrettably fashionably dead" ?

Personally, I think if Inuit culture now uses snow-skis, the internet, antibiotics and the Interwebz, then they're just as much part of the civilisational jigsaw as any media person in L.A. However, being British and loving the BBC, I thought I'd add this to the discussion here. For balance. It's just interesting to note that Morrissey doesn't see this as a complicated issue of Nanuvit/Inuit culture adapting/absorbing itself into the world-wide technological death culture, but simply that of the hegemonic Canadian government. If people want to live purely "in the Arctic" as their ancestors did, that's fine. But the pick'n'mix approach of satellite telecoms and traditional slaughter is just as repellent in arctic "Canada" as it is in Iceland, the Faroes and Japan. I'm sure Morrissey's considered all these issues of ethnocentric hegemony and bogus ancestor worship too.

Well yes, still doesn't mean that Canadians can't go and see him for pretty much the same money as if he was going to Canada though.

Pretty much. Only they'll have to spend more money thanks to the exchange rate, spend more money to travel further, have to deal with crossing the border and just the general inconvenience of traveling to another country to see a show they should rightfully be able to see in their hometown.

The meltdown after he boycotted 'em the last time was laughable, who gives a f***?

Canadians.

If Morrissey were really a man of such high principle who took his own bullshit seriously, he would have had a stipulation in his record contract barring the release of World Peace Is None Of Your Business from the Canadian market...

If Morrissey were really a man of such high principle who took his own bullshit seriously, he would have had a stipulation in his record contract barring the release of World Peace Is None Of Your Business from the Canadian market...

Very good point indeed. Will he stop Canadians buying the album? A bar on downloads from Canadian Amazon, iTunes, etc? Surely it wouldn't be a case of "I hate your disgusting practices, but buy my stuff"?

P.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom