This site!

I couldn't agree more.

I hardly ever come here anymore. I visit the frink thread to look at cute photos of Himself, but not much more. Every time I venture on over, I find myself angry and near tears. I've been attacked in here for the silliest reasons too. It makes me sad that Morrissey has such nasty admirers.

I saw that you were attacked for trying to scalp tickets here...... I thought it was awfully rude of that person to call you out on it :rolleyes:

He is still the best thing out there by a million miles. He is the complete package. He offers great lyrics, great vocals, great interviews, great live performances, great quotes and great hair ideas.

I just had to quote this because it's a brilliant statement. ;)

I'm a newish fan, having avoided Moz like the plague because of some overzealous friends of mine who ALL had to listen to the same music and Morrissey/The Smiths were one of the requirements (roughly 1991ish) When someone finally made me sit down and listen to Life Is a Pigsty last year, I was instantly hooked and have spent much of my waking time over the past year reading his lyrics, listening to his music, hunting down more music, looking at pictures, reading interviews, etc. He's the best thing out there.

I'm gonna have to duck out here, boys. The whole point of discussing popular music, and the history thereof, is to assume an equal amount of experience and knowledge of the subject.

I make a point of not discussing popular music with anyone who doesn't have a DEFINITE opinion on The Smiths, of which Morrissey is a by-product, whether you or I like it or do not.

For a multitude of reasons, Morrissey in 1988 wasn't anywhere near as good OR as relevant as The Smiths, but over the next 4-5 years showed the world that he was a major player, produced Your Arsenal (probably one of the top 100 albums in my collection), sold shedloads of Vauxhall and I on the back of it, and because it wasn't very good the next two bombed.

The legend was then bubbling along nicely, with live shows etc (I saw him in Glasgow in November 2002 and it was truly a sense of being in the presence of greatness), then the abject "You are the Quarry" followed by the awful "Ringleader of the Tormentors" - what are we meant to think ???

Either - He thinks it's good, and I'm missing something, or He's going through the motions and cashing in while it lasts, or He's after a new audience altogether..............and neither one particularly appeals to me!

Whatever you or I think, Morrissey no longer MATTERS, he is no longer "up there" and I think that is a real shame, given the genius of the man. All I am saying is that there MUST be something more to come....

I'm sick to death of being pilloried for not liking any of the last 2 albums, but in all honesty they're best forgotten - they won't feature on any top 1000 albums - now, today, tomorrow and always

Final words of advice - Dont waste 5000 posts calling people who think The Smiths are superior to Morrissey by himself "morons" - you're only as good as your last post in "forumworld" and there's no point in making yourself look silly is there?

I
Whatever you or I think, Morrissey no longer MATTERS, he is no longer "up there" and I think that is a real shame, given the genius of the man. All I am saying is that there MUST be something more to come....

I'm sick to death of being pilloried for not liking any of the last 2 albums, but in all honesty they're best forgotten - they won't feature on any top 1000 albums - now, today, tomorrow and always

What/who determines if he matters or is relevant?

That's an honest question meant to promote discussion, not an attack.

Any Maintstream Top Radio Listener would not list ANY Smiths or Morrissey album in that regard..

So What Difference Does It Make?

Personally, I think Ringleader & Quarry are the best things he's done after Vauxall, Arsenal and Viva Hate..

Are there any Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye, Papa Jack, or Best Friend On The Payrolls on either of them?

NO

I've just been viewing the main board and almost all the most recent comments are anti-Morrissey posts with a level of English that I'd describe as moronic.

Par for the course maybe, so I thought I'd visit this forum for a bit of balance. The first thread I click on and here we go again, a string of comments moaning about how he doesn't release an album a year and how he's on the slide.

In the the last couple of days we've had a fantastic Q&A but my impression is that the responses from the fanbase has been one of negativity and nitpicking. Surely he must wonder why he bothers when he gets such a reaction.

Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm just wondering whether I'm cut out to be a Morrissey fan. I'm not bitter, nasty and negative enough.

I agree. Why can't people be more rational and positive? This site is full of drama queens. I think the Q&A is a nice gesture and I appreciate him taking the time to do it. This time his answers seemed to me very honest and relaxed, without him hiding behind witticisms, and he didn't even say anything controversial, so I can't really understand all this nitpicking.

Morrissey's fanbase seems to be schizophrenic. For example, if you like Ringleader or have something nice to say about him some people make you feel as if you're a sycophantic 13 year old fangirl. On the other hand there are those who will be upset if he doesn't list their hometown gig among his favourite shows or if he says or does something they don't agree with. It goes on and on. I'm all for constructive criticism, but most of the time it's just moan, moan, moan.

Oh dear, even among Morrissey fans I feel like an outsider :p

Also, why must every other thread be hijacked? Is it just me or has it increased in recent weeks? It's annoying to wade through all this drivel to find an interesting post. There are only a few posters who have intelligent things to say, like you and a few others. I won't even comment on the main page. It's a mess.

It seems that Morrissey can't do right for doing wrong with some of his fans. I honestly wonder why some people bother to come to this site; they clearly have no interest in Morrissey beyond slagging off anything and everything he does at the slightest opportunity. Why do you hang around, indeed... No wonder he hates this site :(.

New depths, there's a moron on the main page arguing that Morrissey is arrogant for saying he doesn't know enough about painting to say who his favourite painter is. :D

There is a ton of negativity, it's true, but then again the front page is a wasteland. I rarely check it. The "anonymous asshole" factor is so much huger on the front page than it is here. Plus when a good news item comes up, someone links it from here.

Still, to your point, I think you have to look at the quality of negativity, as it were. The vast majority of critical comments are, as you said, moronic. Who cares? It's no more annoying than graffitti scrawled on the wall of a public latrine. The fanbase isn't negative, it's just mostly made up of (I hate to use this term) a silent majority. You have to visit this site with a strong bullshit filter, which most of us have. Happiness writes white, as the saying goes. How many different ways can one profess admiration and love for a pop singer? For every idiot who bothers to badmouth Morrissey here, there are twenty who remain lurkers because it's not terribly interesting to create an account, log in, and write "I simply adore 'Half A Person'!".

On the other hand, yes, there are a lot of posts that are clearly not written by morons and yet they're critical of Morrissey. These types could be considered a problem. But these people are just as much fans of his music as the rest of us. They haven't learned how to be Morrissey fans, that's all. I don't mean there's a "club" or a book of rules, merely that you can't really be a fan of Morrissey the way you are of other bands because Morrissey is totally different. I imagine it's confusing to many people, especially those of his new converts.

Take concert cancellations. I myself have had the misfortune of paying good money to travel to a city to see him play live, only to have the show canceled hours beforehand-- in fact, while I was standing in line to get into the venue. I was angry but it wouldn't have occurred to me to go online a day later and bitch about the experience. Morrissey is not a career music guy. He has always been up front about his emotional and physical weaknesses-- that's precisely why most of us like his music-- so to suffer the occasional mishap is to be expected. He works hard and comes through most of the time, but he's not a machine. We've all seen "machines" play live and for me, personally, I've often been so bored by those acts that I would have preferred a cancellation.

Most of the criticism I've seen (I mean, again, the 'serious' criticism and not the "f*** u, your shit!" variety) is almost always from newer fans who don't know better or older fans who just haven't learned the above. To the fans who moan and complain, if you want an official site, with a fan club, newsletters, special promotions, and a band that runs itself with the slickness and efficiency of a corporation, go to U2.com. Otherwise, roll with the punches. By being himself-- no matter what it means to the fans in terms of money lost or time wasted-- Morrissey gives the fans far more than any other artist. Paradoxically, in my two decades of loving Morrissey's music, when I think about what I mean to him as a fan I imagine myself as being no more important to him than an ant on the sidewalk and a vitally important person in his life. It's the most unique artist-fan exchange in pop music, intimate and alienating at the same time.

Some fans don't get that. They'll whine and yell but they'll still see him live, still buy the records, still pick up the t-shirt and the book and the DVD. The rest of us simply have to deal with others negotiating the Morrissey learning curve and hope they wise up fast. The point I'm trying to make here is that all these types are still fans. The fanbase isn't uniformly "bitter, nasty and negative"-- some of them are but most of them aren't. The bad apples are mixed in with the good and we just have to live with that. I have rarely despised a contributor on this site but when I have it's usually because they're trolls. When I wade through the front-page muck I just remind myself: they wouldn't be here if they weren't fans.

Last edited:
"It's the most unique artist-fan exchange in pop music, intimate and alienating at the same time."

Perfectly put Worm....and wouldn't have it any other way.

P.S. Danny, if you give up on this forum we're all going to be angry at losing one of our best contributors. Don't split. Noise is the best revenge, not silence.

I just had to quote this because it's a brilliant statement. ;)

I'm a newish fan, having avoided Moz like the plague because of some overzealous friends of mine who ALL had to listen to the same music and Morrissey/The Smiths were one of the requirements (roughly 1991ish) When someone finally made me sit down and listen to Life Is a Pigsty last year, I was instantly hooked and have spent much of my waking time over the past year reading his lyrics, listening to his music, hunting down more music, looking at pictures, reading interviews, etc. He's the best thing out there.

Yes.. it was me you silly thing!

I just have to put in a good word for the main page - that's where I spend most of my time. Sure, the anonymi are beyond depressing and irritating, and yes, it is a war zone, and yes, I do feel like taking a shower after reading some of the garbage that gets posted there. Still, there are lovely folks who have wonderful things to say, and if it was left to the haters, that would make for a sad site indeed.

There seems to be a bit of a caste system in place. Back here it often feels a bit cliquish. It's an interesting difference - this can be a far more intimate, thoughtful forum, but it's far more insular. Up there in the trenches it's anything goes, but you do feel a certain camaraderie.

Anyway, that's Morrissey 2.0 - fascinating, in it's way.

Personally, I just get tired of all the stupid anyonmous posts on the front page..

People should be required to leave their home address so if they say something stupid Morrissey can track them down and tell them he wants his CDs back

I only ever read the actual news items posted on the front page and don’t bother reading the comments because half I can’t even particularly understand (is there a huge cultural difference or something?!), and some are just disgusting or abusive for absolutely no reason. I’d love to know who on earth those people are.

I was a bit disappointed this week I have to agree with Danny, the Q&A was great to read and I came on here expecting some really positive excited discussion but it all seemed strangely negative so I didn’t bother reading much. But then other times there are great balanced discussions on here and some very nice people, it really changes week to week, or even day to day I find. So it’s worth sticking with.
I think… ;)

I agree with DANNY....... I hate when people bitch, moan, and complain about MORRISSEY....What more can people want? he's touring all over the country, in some of the most remote places and people still aren't satisfied :rolleyes:

PS: People need to avoid those kind of negative threads and visit the official HE-MAN is REALLY GAY thread instead :p

I completely agree about the bitching!!!! Actually with everything you said.

and in regards to your he-man observation - isn't it and hasn't it always been obvious that he-man is gay?

Back
Top Bottom