This is why The Smiths are the best band ever

sorry for hijacking

Your thread title was too long and rather silly, so I decided to edit it.

Are you happy now?

BTW, Visitor Q is below average of Miike's films, I won't recommend it to sane people to watch it.

Re: sorry for hijacking

Your thread title was too long and rather silly, so I decided to edit it.

Are you happy now?

Was this a democratic decision taken after consultation with the majority of mods or did you make an undemocratic decision all by yourself based on your prejudices?

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah...

The Smiths are the best band in the history of music because of Mozzer being the best/strongest/most brilliant musical/poetic force in history, Marr being a melodic genius and Joyce/Rourke being the tightest and most well rehearsed rhythm secvtion ever.
The fact that Moz/Marr never ever wrote an unworthy song says quite a bit why they should be revered as the best band ever as well. Not one band comes near.

Who the **** cares if it was Moz or Marr. They both pwn, The Smiths were brilliant, end of.

Last edited:

Back to revering and praising them:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQjgJWmmRtA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQjgJWmmRtA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Its the sum of all the parts.....just a moment in time where the planets aligned and it totally was like :guitar:

Hear, hear!

Blah, blah, blah...

The Smiths are the best band in the history of music because of Mozzer being the best/strongest/most brilliant musical/poetic force in history, Marr being a melodic genius and Joyce/Rourke being the tightest and most well rehearsed rhythm secvtion ever.
The fact that Moz/Marr never ever wrote an unworthy song says quite a bit why they should be revered as the best band ever as well. Not one band comes near.

Its the sum of all the parts.....just a moment in time where the planets aligned and it totally was like :guitar:

Now, back to the music...:guitar:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQjgJWmmRtA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQjgJWmmRtA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Yesterday I had this little mental meltdown because something happened that reminded me of this awful past I had and I basically went into a crying jag. So I do a lot of housesitting, sleeping in other beds and not really having a home, I mean I do, but it's not mine, it's my mom's house. So one thing that I constantly battle is wanting to "go home" but the problem is, I don't really have a home to go to. So in the middle of my meltdown I kept thinking that I wanted to go home, then I'd bawl and feel so lost because that place doesn't exist for me at the moment. What Morrissey does here, it seems, is similar, but he wails in the glossalalic scat sort of thing, it's similar to crying, quite emotional, but it's his song. It's so beautiful. I've always loved this song, to see him singing it so young is fascinating and heartbreaking for me.

Blah, blah, blah...

:clap: Agreed.

Who could've died in car crash? Morrissey or Marr? I know that Marr crashed in 1987-86...

I don't see where you're going with that point, how is it relevant? You think Moz would have liked it if Johnny died? 'I can take all the glory of the Smiths for myself now...' :crazy:

Without Johnny knocking on Morrissey's door, Morrissey would still be stuck in his bedroom and living at home with his mum and this website wouldn't exist. The Smiths was Johnny's band.

Jukebox Jury

:rolleyes: it works both ways, Jukebox. You could just as easily make the assumption that without Morrissey, Johnny would still be sat in a bedsit in Wythenshawe, smoking pot with Angie and gigging on weekends for £40/50 a night like most of the other unsigned bands/artists in big cities. The Smiths were so great because the two came together at the right time, were lucky enough to get a break, and had the drive to keep their creative output considered and inspired instead of sitting back counting their money.

Of course Morrissey today is doing well. But like I said..... Morrissey wasn't looking for Johnny - or anybody. His last band The Nosebleeds ended 4 years before The Smiths. Yet Johnny went looking for Morrissey. Without Johnny, Morrissey would be still writing letters to the NME and signing on.
Without Johnny there would not have been the outlet for his lyrics. Johnny formed The Smiths, ran The Smiths and ended The Smiths. Morrissey has reaped the rewards from Johnny's work and efforts.

Jukebox Jury

If Marr never found Morrissey, Moz would either be a celebrated cult poet or writer or he'd become a talking head like Paul Morley or Stuart Maconie but less annoying

Hear, hear!
Now, back to the music...:guitar:

Love the guitar on this!
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/timMvVFSYUE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/timMvVFSYUE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

You cannot possibly be serious??

Very much so.

:rolleyes: it works both ways, Jukebox. You could just as easily make the assumption that without Morrissey, Johnny would still be sat in a bedsit in Wythenshawe, smoking pot with Angie and gigging on weekends for £40/50 a night like most of the other unsigned bands/artists in big cities. The Smiths were so great because the two came together at the right time, were lucky enough to get a break, and had the drive to keep their creative output considered and inspired instead of sitting back counting their money.

Yes that could be the other point of view, but listen to Kevin Kennedy (Curly Watts) on the 'These Things Take Time' documentry. He says that he just knew that Johnny was way ahead of anyone else in his early bands and we all knew he was going to make it.
Morrissey had four years previous, joined a band that was already formed, did two gigs and that was it. Depending on why source you read, he auditioned for singer of Slaughter & The Dogs and didn't get the gig. After that he made no effort to join a band, but sat there writing Depeche Mode gig reviews for Sounds and a book about James Dean. Morrissey was by now 23 / 24 and getting past the ''normal'' age of becoming a pop star (and yes I know there is no such thing in life as normal:D) Morrissey's time had gone...until Johnny came along.

If Marr never found Morrissey, Moz would either be a celebrated cult poet or writer or he'd become a talking head like Paul Morley or Stuart Maconie but less annoying

I doubt it. Morrissey is unemployable to the big business' that Maconie and Morley have worked for, he'd either be sacked or he'd walk out within days - if his track record of managers and record companies are anything to go by - and his previous jobs.
As above, Morrissey's time had gone. Morley and Morrissey are around the same age, maybe Morley is slightly older, but within a year of the Sex Pistols gigs at Manchester, Morley was writing full length features for the NME. Morrissey was writing letters to them from his bedroom.
Morrissey had always been there or thereabouts, on the fringes of what was going on, but he didn't have that final ingrediant to take him that next level up. Until Johnny came along and took him there. YES they did it together, but on his own, he would never have made it past the front door.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:

I'm glad people are posting more interesting videos and discussion. I didn't entirely get the logic of the original post, creating a new thread with nothing said, just one of the most well-known Smiths songs that surely everyone has already heard.

The reason why The Smiths are the best band ever is because of the Marr-Morrissey dynamic. The other two could've been anybody.

My point exactly. This could be reason why Moz refused to pay the money ordered by the court. Though in all fairness, the money ordered to be paid was not for song writing privileges/publishings - it all got so nasty, its a real pity, really!

Yesterday I had this little mental meltdown because something happened that reminded me of this awful past I had and I basically went into a crying jag. So I do a lot of housesitting, sleeping in other beds and not really having a home, I mean I do, but it's not mine, it's my mom's house. So one thing that I constantly battle is wanting to "go home" but the problem is, I don't really have a home to go to. So in the middle of my meltdown I kept thinking that I wanted to go home, then I'd bawl and feel so lost because that place doesn't exist for me at the moment. What Morrissey does here, it seems, is similar, but he wails in the glossalalic scat sort of thing, it's similar to crying, quite emotional, but it's his song. It's so beautiful. I've always loved this song, to see him singing it so young is fascinating and heartbreaking for me.

Thanks for sharing. I really love that song too.

Back
Top Bottom