'This Is not Your Country' query

sid james

Stone me!
Listening to this song again yesterday reminded me there's a line in the lyrics I never quite understood: '...and this Peurgeot ad spins round in my head'.

Anyone know exactly what Peurgeot advert was Morrissey referring to and what its bearing is on the theme of the song?

I've no idea either, but in the Rare Tracks EP lyric sheet it says the lyric is 'and this perjure ad...'.

I've always thought that made a bit of sense. Certainly more than Peurgeot unless someone can put some light on it.

I've always heard "And this Peugeot ad spins round in my head".

mspendl828, seen that you've been to Hultsfred, when?:D

I've no idea either, but in the Rare Tracks EP lyric sheet it says the lyric is 'and this perjure ad...'.

I've always thought that made a bit of sense. Certainly more than Peurgeot unless someone can put some light on it.

Hmm, just had a gander at the lyrics section of PassionJustLikeMine who say "the lyrics supplied by the Japanese label in the "Rare Tracks" compilation of 1997 b-sides are incorrect" which wouldn't suprise me - I've got several Japanese CDs with rather wayward lyric sheets...

Yeah, but adding a bit about perjury in the song does make sense though, far more than suddenly singing about a car advert does anyway, doesn't it?

But what does that have to do with the 'occupation' of Ireland by the English and cover ups of Irish deaths etc? I don't really see much of a link.

But what does that have to do with the 'occupation' of Ireland by the English and cover ups of Irish deaths etc? I don't really see much of a link.

Hehe, good question:). A far shot, the french lurking by and smiling:rolleyes: .

Well that's why I wondered what the actual advert was. presumably something along the lines of "Hey - peace in Ireland. Everything is great. buy our car." But it would be nice to know.

Well that's why I wondered what the actual advert was. presumably something along the lines of "Hey - peace in Ireland. Everything is great. buy our car." But it would be nice to know.

That's why I think that the perjure line was what was orginially written and for some reason or other he just ended up singing Peurgeot as lying under oath in court seems much more relevent to the whole feel of the song.

There was a 1996 Peugeot 406 telly commercial in the UK with (among others) footage of a man kneeling infront of a tank and being seized and dragged away by soldiers which could possibly fit in with the troubles of Northern Ireland theme, but dunno. A long shot. That's the only one I can think of.

I always thought the line about the car ad was included to convey a sense of numbness. Car advertisments are usually banal. Constant stories of death may cause the narrator of the song to become desensitised.....

Shaz might have a point

There was a 1996 Peugeot 406 telly commercial in the UK with (among others) footage of a man kneeling infront of a tank and being seized and dragged away by soldiers which could possibly fit in with the troubles of Northern Ireland theme, but dunno. A long shot. That's the only one I can think of.

That'll be it then, thanks.

I think that's a very good bet. Thank you. I always thought there was a specific ad he was referring to and this sounds right.

Back
Top Bottom