"This Is Morrissey" vinyl released today (Aug. 31, 2018); also: US CD, streaming services

Advert with Russian text:
20180831_142124.jpg
20180831_142505.jpg

The promotional advert (clue in the name) is still available on FB official page, but some marketing genius has limited the audience.
https://lnk.to/ThisIsMorrissey2018FP
(Link resolves to a digital portal for Apple Music, Deezer & Google Play).

Not so much a 'release' in the US, but Amazon and indie stockists are supplying the vinyl as an import:

Kaos:
20180831_140252.jpg

Amazon:
20180831_141537.jpg

Amazon, despite still using the Sire cover have added a picture of the back of the record which is the Parlaphone version - the picture isn't brilliant, but the French liner notes can be made out:
51bTOkDtKTL._SL1500_.jpg

(They also have the CD now tagged as 'UK edition').

So, it looks like all vinyl buyers gets the 13 track version.
To help collectors, does anyone have a different version?
Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited:
The same studio version that is the b-side to Certain People I Know? If so, if hardly call it elusive. You can still get original release of Certain People I Know in all formats, plus you can buy the CD Singles: 91 - 95 boxset, which contains Jack the Ripper, as well as the later condensed re-release of said boxset in the format of Singles 88 - 95.

It was meant to be included on the original Your Arsenal re-issue which was aborted last decade and it became available here a short number of years ago in the downloads section and I think it was a remastered version but I don't think this remastered version is on The Never Heard Symphonies.

I've got a copy. When I saw it I asked myself why a text in French? If he wanted a different language on the vinyl back cover, knowing he has such a huge Latino fan base, why not in Spanish? That would make more sense I guess.
However, the CD has the text in English for those of you who don't speak languages.

Indeed.
Regards,
FWD.

Maybe you know more about this, though I remember vaguely Alain or Boz talking about re-recording a version of ‘JTRipper’ in a different key in a studio in New Orleans during
the Your Arsenal tour, which has yet to see the light of day.

I like the ‘bargain bin retro country’ album cover, the picture isn’t in great focus, but that adds a bit to the ‘shoddyness’ of those style compilations.
The tracklist is a strange one, initially i though it was dull, though now, after listening last night and this morning, I quite enjoy.
In this day and age we can all spend ages compacting the perfect ‘best of’ (i know i have!), but I did enjoy the mix here. It felt purposefully eclectic and a bit all over the shop, though it would have been perfection if ‘Speedway’ had been a live version.

Maybe you know more about this, though I remember vaguely Alain or Boz talking about re-recording a version of ‘JTRipper’ in a different key in a studio in New Orleans during
the Your Arsenal tour, which has yet to see the light of day.
I don't know if the Toussaint / non-Ronson version/s were ever fully-formed.
Would be great to know.
Regards,
FWD.

Why the f*** would you waste money on music you have already? For the cover? Man f*** that cover, that picture is already over 10 years old already, he doesnt even look like that anymore, he’s like 2 years away from looking like the crypt keeper or Golum from lord of the rings now a days.

I don't know if the Toussaint / non-Ronson version/s were ever fully-formed.
Would be great to know.
Regards,
FWD.

I may well be wrong, but I believe it was in Autobiography that Morrissey said Toussaint 'walked out' of sessions for "The Thoughts of Jack the Ripper."

I may well be wrong, but I believe it was in Autobiography that Morrissey said Toussaint 'walked out' of sessions for "The Thoughts of Jack the Ripper."
Indeed:
"Nigel quickly arranges for a studio session in New Orleans with the revered Allen Toussaint. Worn out, the band arrives at the studio where Allen will record the song The thoughts of Jack the Ripper, a ludicrously lost gem in Nigel’s view, yet not the catchiest of titles. I slip into the studio and watch the band warm up. I say hello to Allen, who looks at me and then looks away. The band are rough to the point of bad – having been pushed around America like a debilitated Bay City Rollers, and Allen Toussaint looks concerned. I am now embarrassed by the sound coming through the speakers, of which Allen says to his engineer ‘What have I let myself in for?’ I overhear the comment and I catch the engineer’s reply to Allen, which is a silent sssh in my direction, as if to say to Allen, ‘Steady, he can hear you.’ Without fuss or calamity I rise and exit into the balmy air of New Orleans. Boz follows me.
‘So, what do you want me to do?’ he says.
‘El-vest has left the building,’ I say, not remotely funny. It isn’t a question of vanity or ego, but occasionally there is simply no point."

(Autobiography).

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Indeed:
"Nigel quickly arranges for a studio session in New Orleans with the revered Allen Toussaint. Worn out, the band arrives at the studio where Allen will record the song The thoughts of Jack the Ripper, a ludicrously lost gem in Nigel’s view, yet not the catchiest of titles. I slip into the studio and watch the band warm up. I say hello to Allen, who looks at me and then looks away. The band are rough to the point of bad – having been pushed around America like a debilitated Bay City Rollers, and Allen Toussaint looks concerned. I am now embarrassed by the sound coming through the speakers, of which Allen says to his engineer ‘What have I let myself in for?’ I overhear the comment and I catch the engineer’s reply to Allen, which is a silent sssh in my direction, as if to say to Allen, ‘Steady, he can hear you.’ Without fuss or calamity I rise and exit into the balmy air of New Orleans. Boz follows me.
‘El-vest has left the building,’ I say, not remotely funny. It isn’t a question of vanity or ego, but occasionally there is simply no point."

Regards,
FWD.
:thumb:
Thanks, I forgot all about this recording being mentioned in Autobiography. I just remember (and I believe it was Boz) mentioning it to some fans and I at a hotel during that tour.

Reckon nice Uncle Steve. Russian collusion. Has Trump supporter John Lydon got to you at the Sunday Malibu barbecues at his house? I reckon Uncle Steve was going to run as a democrat when he runs for governor of California, but me reckon that Uncle Steve finally realized that Mexicans don't vote, so now he will be a true Malibu dude and run as a republican.

Really like how Moz put the titles on the front cover, so ya don't have to waste a lot of time flippin' the thing over.
its a seventies thing,all the compilation albums in those days had the tracks down the side.

Indeed:
"Nigel quickly arranges for a studio session in New Orleans with the revered Allen Toussaint. Worn out, the band arrives at the studio where Allen will record the song The thoughts of Jack the Ripper, a ludicrously lost gem in Nigel’s view, yet not the catchiest of titles. I slip into the studio and watch the band warm up. I say hello to Allen, who looks at me and then looks away. The band are rough to the point of bad – having been pushed around America like a debilitated Bay City Rollers, and Allen Toussaint looks concerned. I am now embarrassed by the sound coming through the speakers, of which Allen says to his engineer ‘What have I let myself in for?’ I overhear the comment and I catch the engineer’s reply to Allen, which is a silent sssh in my direction, as if to say to Allen, ‘Steady, he can hear you.’

Regards,
FWD.

Wow. I know Boz, Alain & co were a bit rough in the early days, but they got it together - reading this surprises me. He was embarrassed by the band. And yet years later, hires Tuneless Tobias!

Wow. I know Boz, Alain & co were a bit rough in the early days, but they got it together - reading this surprises me. He was embarrassed by the band. And yet years later, hires Tuneless Tobias!

I think he was only referring to them being bad in that particular session...and he was right. Jack the Ripper is the one that got away.

Well considering how Morrissey controls his band - what they wear and eat, his politics and his difficult reputation, what self-respecting talented guitarist would want to be in his band?

Continuing the Russian theme:

Note: missing track cover art used.
(The only company ad so far).
Regards,
FWD.

Indeed:

Regards,
FWD.
I had forgotten about that. Can't believe he walked out on Toussaint. I wonder if there's ever been a different version of events - since we know Autobio is not always the most, shall we say, factual record. A shame, it would have been a really interesting collaboration to hear.

I had forgotten about that. Can't believe he walked out on Toussaint. I wonder if there's ever been a different version of events - since we know Autobio is not always the most, shall we say, factual record. A shame, it would have been a really interesting collaboration to hear.
There will be plenty of different versions of events after he dies. Back in 2004-ish, a friend challenged a group of us to write our version of the same event- in this case, the forming of a 12 person band and the execution of a show opening for a band we admired coming through town with only about 30 days to pull it off. It was funny how different accounts were from person to person, although there was enough in common to glean the true events.

There will be plenty of different versions of events after he dies. Back in 2004-ish, a friend challenged a group of us to write our version of the same event- in this case, the forming of a 12 person band and the execution of a show opening for a band we admired coming through town with only about 30 days to pull it off. It was funny how different accounts were from person to person, although there was enough in common to glean the true events.
Really interesting experiment! Although somehow I suspect many people may have a similar, different version of events to some of Morrissey's anecdotes. Not wishing the man dead for a minute, but like you say, I think some interesting 'alternative' stories will come out when he dies.

Tags
this is morrissey info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom