This is Morrissey: An Interview by Fiona Dodwell - Tremr

June 5, 2018

Excerpt:

When I penned my recent piece, 'Morrissey: The Great Unfiltered Artist' it was my aim to shine a light on somebody who I felt was at times misunderstood, and to attempt to question what we were 'sold to believe' (as I feel we always must when faced with a heavily biased media). Morrissey very kindly agreed to an interview with me. I came away from his responses having a greater sense of the man himself, and of where he was coming from - his words often insightful, at times humorous but always honest. For that, I thank him.

Here is the interview in full.

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think making art is about making something fantastic. I mean, for some it is. but I'm reminded of Edward hopper who hated the process of making art, who called it "the whole miserable process of getting it [his inner vision] down" and who always maintained that something was lost, diminished in the translation of the vision in his head to the image on the canvas. I think he, and many other artists, just feel driven to make a record of some inner vision they have. for them it's more about recording that vision as truthfully and faithfully as they can, and whether it's fantastic or not is neither here nor there.
It's an interesting point, and speaking as someone who is at this moment engaged in the 'whole miserable process' I can completely see this. My point was really about Morrissey sounding off about how marvellous his own work is, which I find jarring because I don't think it's something the artist can decide (plus it makes him sound like a bit of a knob). Unlike other more quantifiable disciplines, artists are reliant on the responses of other people to measure their success.

Last edited:
This has always been a kind of double-bluff, because in the same time he has made highlighting his failures as a human being a running joke in his interviews.

"The paradox is that I have no love for myself as a human being but I have immense pride in the music I make."

I don't think making art is about making something fantastic. I mean, for some it is. but I'm reminded of Edward hopper who hated the process of making art, who called it "the whole miserable process of getting it [his inner vision] down" and who always maintained that something was lost, diminished in the translation of the vision in his head to the image on the canvas. I think he, and many other artists, just feel driven to make a record of some inner vision they have. for them it's more about recording that vision as truthfully and faithfully as they can, and whether it's fantastic or not is neither here nor there.

FFS 'making art' with a view towards the approval of others (nomenklatua, high tootin, self appointed guardians of the wishy washy PC:turban:) is called propaganda. Moz would get general approval if he spoke
some 0f the troll gibberish exhibited here.

Is Robert Johnson or Moz art because some dh critic says so? No its innate in his vision.
They cant stop him with their twattery. A whole new world tour selling out despite the
Loon brigade:handok:
Meanwhile look at Drama J. Full approval by the PC loon patrol wonderful reviews everybody
is in agreement that its the new DADA:sleeping: a new type of art maybe the new FLUXUS. Everybody
agrees. But when it comes to understanding what he singing we reach paradox nobody can make
out a word.:bow:
Maybe :frogface: is the new Yoko. The PC art patrol say Yoko caterwauling is art.
Insane.

June 5, 2018

Excerpt:

When I penned my recent piece, 'Morrissey: The Great Unfiltered Artist' it was my aim to shine a light on somebody who I felt was at times misunderstood, and to attempt to question what we were 'sold to believe' (as I feel we always must when faced with a heavily biased media). Morrissey very kindly agreed to an interview with me. I came away from his responses having a greater sense of the man himself, and of where he was coming from - his words often insightful, at times humorous but always honest. For that, I thank him.

Here is the interview in full.

Related item:
I just read Tommy Robinson’s biog stuff on Wiki and it’s as though Moz and him are living parallel lives. I actually think that Moz is a little obsessed with Mr Robinson. It’s that side of Moz that is forever the obsessive fan. It’s obviously a psychological trait. He seems beyond caring about what anyone else thinks. I do agree that there are issues in this country which most people are terrified of even talking about within their own family circles. Pilgrimupnorth

Well, nothing is more predictable than to see the usual 2-3 getting angry, only to be followed by the usual 2-3 who defend Morrissey's every word. Like clockwork.

The saddest thing here is he only gives these "interviews" where the interviewer fawns him over. Is this really what you want to read?! "Oh firstly, thank you for seeing me, you are the greatest living icon, your latest album is the best ever, you are attacked unjustly when you just speak the truth blah blah blah...". It's beyond ridiculous. What harm could some real, challenging questions cause?
I agree. For someone supposedly in love with the written and spoken word these interviews are repetitive and turgid. What about writing a travel diary Moz? I’d be more interested in how Moz feels about gardening or landscape painting. Is he really so dull outside his music that he really doesn’t have anything to say? He’s been away from the north too long. The humour and any humility has gone.
Pilgrimupnorth

In the space of a month I’ve gone from being a lifelong fan with touching 100 gigs of his under my belt over 30 odd years, to someone who is now sick to death of hearing the man speak.

I stopped being a Moz-devotee in 2014 when he compared meateaters to paedophiles, IMO a statement far more abhorrent than his recent comments. But the man has changed. RADICALLY changed. And his music has changed too. A few more years and he'll be Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino. I still check this site because... well, "keep your enemies close" and shit. It's interesting to see him changing into something so un-Morrissey-like, but boy am I glad not being a devotee anymore. Especially now when his biggest fans are f***ing twats like Reel and vegan.cro who spam this board with anti-human/white-power shit.

It's an interesting point, and speaking as someone who is at this moment engaged in the 'whole miserable process' I can completely see this. My point was really about Morrissey sounding off about how marvellous his own work is, which I find jarring because I don't think it's something the artist can decide (plus it makes him sound like a bit of a knob). Unlike other more quantifiable disciplines, artists are reliant on the responses of other people to measure their success.

But he wasnt asked about quantifiable measures of success (it’s pretty clear with his concert sales that his art has been successful). He gave his own opinion about his work just like we all give our own opinions about his work. Each is valid as taste is subjective and his own comment about how he might be biased only reinforced this idea

He still doesn't say he's a vegan only that being a vegan is hard and that you have to spend more and seek out speciality food and clothes using his faux leather shoe as an example and that even then people will suspect you. Sure I could see how people could read into that but morrissey has never been the most direct person when speaking. When he does state clearly his opinions or stance some still find some sort of fault. He's got faults but this isn't one
Actually, you are quite right. He lets the statement hang there and does nothing to contradict it, nor to contradict the subsequent press reports about his 'veganism'. Interestingly, in the same interview he uses the exact same technique about the 'cancer' diagnosis:

For the record, Barrett's esophagus is not cancer but an abnormality of the esophageal cells - hence his shifty answer when wily old Larry asks him if he's 'stage four' :lbf:

INTERVIEW REQUEST: Hi - I'm a music journalist who has written for CLASH, the Quietus, Drowned in Sound and I'm working on a feature and would love to speak to Morrissey fans on here who are still big fans of Morrissey in spite of what he has said over the last 6-12 months. I've had a great response on here from people who are no longer fans/no longer want to watch him live, but I would love to hear from people who continue to support the man. My emails are open at [email protected]. We can discuss terms and I would not quote anyone without having gained their permission whatsoever. Thanks

Supporting For Britain and also Tommy robinson... Well, that's just re-afirming some of the things he's accused of.
And yes, is not easy to separate the music from the artist as it was some years ago.
The new compilation This Is Morrissey should have the swastica on the front cover.

That make PERFECT sense. It explains a bunch. Let’s call it the ideal recipe for 25 years worth of runny, beige, overdone pablum, best served in a doctor’s waiting room or the frozen food section of the grocery store - which, coincidentally, was the last place I heard a Morrissey song. There’s no soul in any of it. His music is as bland as his diet.

Music on the radio = pizza pops,
Morrissey’s recent garbage = creamed corn

Both are equally disgusting, for different reasons but there are plenty of other items to choose from in the other aisles! Take a walk around the store. Find something fresh. It’s there, if you want it.
The supermarket metaphor is apt. The mentality of "Eh, just write some stuff and I'll pop in and sing something when you're done" can work, but only if you have a hungry, inspired bunch of musicians who want to showcase the singer (who should also be hungry for it).

It seems equal parts pissing match and "that'll do" between Boz's strum alongs, Jesse's guitar wanker antics, and Gustavo's musical equivalent to purple prose. Nobody is looking to make music that compliments the singer, and the singer phones it in from a table full of half empty Negronis somewhere with linen table cloths.

I'm only here for the spectacle at this point. It has been many months since I've listened to any more than a small clip of anything Morrissey or Smiths.

I like you posts, are you on Twitter?
I agree he has now got past the point of no return
I think there was always a struggle with Moz he made it clear he didn't like people from Pakistan in those letters years ago but you got the impression he was trying to be good.
Over the years he lost the fight and now we are in a time where he is worse than trump
It must be hard for the Mexican fan base hating trump one minute loving a singer who's just like him the next.

The interviews are just like Trumps and Fox now, they are hand picked easy shows. This Last interview was just like the John Riggers one almost completely even the question structure.
It's sad really morrissey used to be interesting funny and clever but that was 19 years ago

Just look at the types who stick up for him on here the not very bright and the not very bright and racist. The idiot who says 'Peadostanis' as if all child abuse is from from Pakistani people. figures show in the uk it's mostly from white people.
That shows the kind of ignorance we ate dealing with.
Even if you look past it and think 'well I'm here for the songs and the old moz' and go to gigs who would want to stand around with those king George f***ers ?

The fact moz has gone nuclear on racism isn't even about saving the uk
It's about being bought by Israel. He done an lp where he loved Turkey and talked up the muslims got dropped from a label and then suddenly sings about Isreal and starts going on about far right thinking , it's obvious moz is now an Israeli shill like most of the media in the uk, The Spectator is known for having Zionist links - which is why they praise moz

It's also well known Israel fund far right groups,, of course they do far right groups are anti Muslim like them.
You have to wonder what will happen when the Muslims are gone and the aim goes back to jews.
It's now known Israel are making nuclear bombs for the Arabs, which shows all this is only about money and power.
It's amazing that the one thing morrissey had going for him was he was still an outsider a free thinker. Now he's just a shill even that's gone.
What a wast

Actually, you are quite right. He lets the statement hang there and does nothing to contradict it, nor to contradict the subsequent press reports about his 'veganism'. Interestingly, in the same interview he uses the exact same technique about the 'cancer' diagnosis:

For the record, Barrett's esophagus is not cancer but an abnormality of the esophageal cells - hence his shifty answer when wily old Larry asks him if he's 'stage four' :lbf:

Yes he tends to + ok lets be polite and say exaggerate a lot of things for drama. But fair enough Barretts osophegus can turn pre cancer and I'm sure he genuinely worries about it as I would. He always saying this one and that one groped me or this one threatened me at knife point and I was questioned by the FBI on terrorism charges...plenty of examples. I guess it's a story or half truth somewhere but at times it seems odd even histrionic or neurotic.

I just read Tommy Robinson’s biog stuff on Wiki and it’s as though Moz and him are living parallel lives. I actually think that Moz is a little obsessed with Mr Robinson. It’s that side of Moz that is forever the obsessive fan. It’s obviously a psychological trait. He seems beyond caring about what anyone else thinks. I do agree that there are issues in this country which most people are terrified of even talking about within their own family circles. Pilgrimupnorth

Not really, they are nothing alike apart they are both racist. Not sure what you have been reading but their lives have been utterly different they are at heart differnt it's just they now have the same cause
Morrissey has always like white working class types A because he is from that world b he's gay and it gives him a boner c he's a winp and it makes him feel like he's a hard man What a fairy

As for tommy he's as thick as shit watch him get interviewed a mouth breather if ever there was one

The following interview with Morrissey was unearthed this morning.
It's from a magazine called "Nuffink" and the interviewer is one Nick O'Teene.
It's available for publication as it's a sample interview with 21st century Morrissey, that is to say: always the same shit.

*SPOOF*

Question: Morrissey, your new album sounds amazing, it really is up there with your best work.
Morrissey: Well, you know. You live and then you die. We try. Some people keep thinking that it will always be 1985 for me. They haven't even heard the new album. And yet, as you said, it does rate among my best work.

Q: Why do you reckon some of the reviews were so harsh?
M: It's always the same. Have‐a‐go‐at‐Morrisey seems to be the media's only objective. To destroy me, to put me down. Before they haven't even heard the record. They don't even notice that 32 people bought Low In High School on purple vinyl. It would have propelled me to number 1 had it not been for the downloads.
But what can I say? I'm used to it. Life's full of snakes and ladders. I just plough on.

Q: Why is music so unchallenging these days?
M: This is why the record companies handle me with caution, and radio stations get the bargepole out. They are just content with the latest product Britain's Got Talent will churn out this week. And next week. And next month. Forever. And in the meantime, I am the only one who's got something to say, who doesn't conform with today's mainstream opinions. Look at my lyrics from Low In High School: "When you open your legs/ Everything I know deserts me now"...or "

Summer is winter and winter prevails/ And I'm so tired of counting the days".
Positively compelling stuff. Journalists know lyrics like them are revolutionary. They are afraid of the danger posed by words with such depth. Radios know it's too meaningful for today's standards. And so they ban me, and they persecute me, they conspire against me, and they just stick with the next boring singer with nothing to say.
But it doesn’t bother me that much. Knock Morrissey has been teh thing to do since 1984.

Q: What about the Smiths? Does it bother you that people talk about them?
M: For some people it will always be "All Tomorrow's Parties" while I'm here doing "Vicious" or "Berlin".We were ok in the 80s. But it's not my fault if my most exceptional work came out after the lawnmower parts were changed.

Q: What about politics? For years you've been persecuted, saying that your words were misconstrued to make you sound you are flirting with far‐right views...
M: Indeed. Another conspiracy against me. I mean, they’ve been saying I’m a racist and that couldn’t be further from the truth. How could I be a racist if I’ve used pictures of black people on posters?
I mean, look at Tommy Robinson and the way he’s been demonised. He’s only a former BNP member and leader of the English Defense League. Poor him. He was only filming a court case with the minor risk of havin the whole thing declared null and void with a dozen kiddiefiddlers potentially released as a result. All a conspiracy, natch. And I’ve only supported a party called “For Britain” funded by UKIP rejects that even Nigel Farage dubbed as “nazis”. And “For Britain” only calls for a total halt to immigration. And I only said that Marine Le Pen, the leader of the Front National in France was unfairly depicted during last year’s French election. And I’ve only said that Sadi Khan can’t speak English properly. And I’ve only being using the expression Loonie Leftie, which is what rampant right wingers used to use in the 80s and 90s to criticise anyone who’d object to Section 28, homophobia, racism, Thatcherism, and such things.

Q: But you're not a racist.
M: No.

Bungalow.

I've mentioned this on many occasions. There is absolutely zero proof he had cancer, he just let the impression that he had whoosh by.

I really would like to ask him, does he still hate Trump? if not, what changed his mind? and if so, what's the difference between Trump's Muslim travel ban and For Britain's proposed one?

Tags
fiona dodwell this is morrissey info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom