'This Is Morrissey' Album (vinyl & download) - released 6th July - Morrissey Central (June 3)

43206_this_is_morrissey.jpg

On Friday 6 July Parlophone (Warner) release This Is Morrissey album.
On the same day, BMG release the single All The Young People Must Fall In Love, with Rose Garden as the B-side.The A-side is re-mixed by Bob Clearmountain.The B-side is live from The Grand ‘Ole Opry in Nashville.
Both releases are available on vinyl and as download.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/morrissey-release-date

Not a mock-up after all.
Odd track list - Satellite... and including the Mael mix!?
Opinions?
Regards,
FWD.

(7" not included in title as it has several separate threads already).

Posted by Famous when dead:

Update: June 4th.

This Is Morrissey will have a release on July 6th in the U.S.A on the Sire label.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/this-is-morrissey-usa-edition

43226_this_is_morrissey_us.jpg

UPDATE June 5:

As noted by NealCassidy and Famous when dead, the US version appears to have 3 fewer tracks (Missing: "Speedway", "Angel...", "Lucky Lisp"):

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fewer tracks?
Good spot - just noticed that.
Missing:
Speedway.
Angel...
Luck Lisp.

Bizarre.
Regards,
FWD.

Re: Warners - they are currently distributing his 7" vinyls - it's probably prudent to not issue a 'don't buy this' type statement on Central if he objects to This Is Morrissey (implication being: he's actually ok with it as Central is advertising it).
The changes and intricacies in who owns what, licencing, Sony/Parlophone/Warners/Sire/BMG/Etienne et al and how it all interrelates to particular tracks is an absolute, unclear headache - made particularly more difficult by the lack of information about said. Any sensible explanation would be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Best of the Best-Ofs

Good spot - just noticed that.
Missing:
Speedway.
Angel...
Luck Lisp.

Bizarre.
Regards,
FWD.

Re: Warners - they are currently distributing his 7" vinyls - it's probably prudent to not issue a 'don't buy this' type statement on Central if he objects to This Is Morrissey (implication being: he's actually ok with it as Central is advertising it).
The changes and intricacies in who owns what, licencing, Sony/Parlophone/Warners/Sire/BMG/Etienne et al and how it all interrelates to particular tracks is an absolute, unclear headache - made particularly more difficult by the lack of information about said. Any sensible explanation would be gratefully received.

I don't think it will be to do with rights. Warners (i.e. Parlophone in the UK, Sire in the US) probably have the rights to all these tracks both sides of the pond, and it would be particularly surprising if Sire were able to include EDILS but not Angel or LOTFIP but not Lucky Lisp, since these are tracks that were originally released on the same records.

Alternative explanation: Sire's A&R people have made a marketing decision that 13 songs equals a runtime that is too long for the US vinyl crowd, because it would mean poorer audio quality, and US consumers would prefer a better pressing. That doesn't necessarily mean UK consumers are any different, just that Parlophone made a different call.

I wonder if Russell will refuse any royalties from a man whose views he doesn't understand/agree with.

Assuming that they receive some sort of payment from their mix that's included.

It's Morrissey. No one is getting paid without going to court. :thumb:

It's a song about gay hook-ups in toilet cubicles and glory holes. Nothing wrong in that - and personally I love that song - but fun and cute doesn't really describe it.
I guess it depends on your idea of fun. :rofl:

He is describing going to see the lisping man in various theatres, in different seats, in the surface meaning (some in future tense). The question is, is there a hidden ref to gay sex...i don't think so
There's always a reference to gay sex. You don't think so. That is why it is "hidden."
And the part about the different areas of the theater was fairly convincing but what about the nine leaf clover?

I believe the term lucky lisp is referring to 'gayness' (since lisping is associated with gayness/effeminacy). He's saying to someone he likes, how you are (ie gay) wasn't wasted on you. 'I will roar from the stalls' is referencing sex in bathroom stalls (or toilet cubicles). 'Gurgle from the circle' references oral sex/glory holes. 'The balcony fool was me' references the term 'balcony gay' - ie someone who watches the scene but does not take part - very Morrissey (or young Morrissey, anyway). Nine-leafed clover is a reference to the anus. Sorry to upset you, 669 :)
Breaking news for me as well o_O

Morrisssey will earn no money, as I wrote it's the EMI deal for his 5 albums [the Smiths signed, but split, Morrissey took over the deal] maybe the royalties, but don't know the Sire/Warner deal , but he earned millions for signing and % of sold singles/albums, but that time is long ago, well maybe royalties.

There's always a reference to gay sex. You don't think so. That is why it is "hidden."
And the part about the different areas of the theater was fairly convincing but what about the nine leaf clover?

Clovers are lucky if they have 4 leaves - even more so with 5, 6 or in this case 9. The 9 leaf clover is his lucky lisp (metaphorically) - also referred to as "Grandma's omen". That's your surface meaning. Hidden gay reference? Well, perhaps if you had some evidence...

Well, interesting, but Family Line was an 8 track promo and Rare Tracks was a 6 track import - so they're not albums. And those two CD singles boxsets weren't either though possibly they did release a three CD version later. None of them I would regard alongside the official compilation albums personally.
For Family Line (1994), it's a compilation: 3 titles of Viva Hate (1988), 3 titles of Kill Uncle (1991) and 2 of Your Arsenal (1992).
To say that it is a promo album would only make sense if the titles would be unpublished in 1994.

Rare Tracks too, because it includes the B-sides of the three Malajusted singles.

The fact that it is imports has no consequence on the fact that there are still compilations.

About the Singles box, put all the singles in a box, it's called a compilation.

Whether on Discogs.com or on the site Passion Just Like Mine, all these discs are considered like compilations ....

Let's face it - most Morrissey songs are about bumming. It'd be a bit weird if 'Lucky Lisp' was one of the few that wasn't.

Clovers are lucky if they have 4 leaves - even more so with 5, 6 or in this case 9. The 9 leaf clover is his lucky lisp (metaphorically) - also referred to as "Grandma's omen". That's your surface meaning. Hidden gay reference? Well, perhaps if you had some evidence...

Yeah I searched a bunch of varieties of this and nothing came up

There has to be an element of trolling with this.

Just re-listened to it for the first time in yonks.
It's got the waltzing, carnival feel of an early Blur b-side. Some decent vocal melody work in the chorus.
But the last 2 full minutes could be lopped off without losing a thing.

The most bizarre track choice on there is, of course, "The Harsh Truth of th Camera Eye" If you're gonna take something off Kill Uncle, this is what you choose?

Tags
this is morrissey info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom