This is England '86 features "Never Had No One Ever"

One of the home video trailers also has them dancing to Panic in a living room.

The guy who plays the lead character Woody says he has become a big Smiths fan following the making of this.

If you have a look at the link on the left that says "1986" you can explore 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986. It's actually a lovely site :)

But specifically, under the 1984 section, you can watch a video of "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" on this little television.

Just saw the ad for This is England 86, a television drama sequel to the film, which was excellent by the way. The film contained a cover of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want over the closing scenes and now the ad for the series plays the end of Never Had No One Ever.

Looks good :)
http://www.channel4.com/explore/this-is-england-86/

When is it on? I can't get the link to work or find the info :( The film was fab.

I don't why precisely but I think the title is just brilliant, "This is England" and then when the character, can't remember his name, says it in the film. Belissimo :thumb:

At last something on t.v worth watching, starts tonight on channel 4.

.....Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was total cock ( As I did of the original movie....apart from Stephen Grahams ( as usual, brilliant acting...)....It said nothing to me about my life ( at the time...) ."Footloose" was on after it though....which had more of a "reality" 1980's thing going for it, and I'm not even any good at dancin' ( or American...).Don't think I'll bother with the next 3 episodes, Moz content or not....

.....Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was total cock ( As I did of the original movie....apart from Stephen Grahams ( as usual, brilliant acting...)....It said nothing to me about my life ( at the time...) ."Footloose" was on after it though....which had more of a "reality" 1980's thing going for it, and I'm not even any good at dancin' ( or American...).Don't think I'll bother with the next 3 episodes, Moz content or not....

I saw it as well, and as much as I enjoyed and laughed at bits of it, I couldn't see how the Smiths' music fitted in with the cast, or am I missing the point and the music is just a backdrop to denote 1986? Being 16 in that very year, I seem to remember it was people like the common characters in this drama that would usually torment and beat up Smiths fans, including me and my friend at the time, for being alternative and dressing differently. I think the backing track should have been Stock, Aitken and Waterman:lbf:

I find it hard to watch last night because of the constant commertial breaks. :(

Possibly better watching it on DVD.

I find it hard to watch last night because of the constant commertial breaks. :(

Possibly better watching it on DVD.

Surely, you need to waste money on more useless consumer products in your life. That's what the ad companies are saying:)
I'm a demon for internet shopping, mind. If my bank card is anywhere within reaching distance when I'm online, I'm usually in the danger zone..

who cares, there are no shops in heaven. Gimme another shirt!!

Hi Reggie, and Kewpie...
Yup, the Ad breaks wre extremely annoying...
I would totally agree with the S.A.W. soundtrack too....

...I just personally found it Laughably stupid that a Gang of Lads would be riding around in Track-suits, on small Motorcycles, and still bullying a kid....never happened in my lifetime ( and I was born in Edge Hill/Toxteth, UK.).
We had a few "Mods" but they never had a scooter between 'em, either....
There were hardly any "Skinheads" in my area, in the mid '80's...But the lad with the "Cramps" T-shirt looked about right for the time....The goonish Haircut on the main lead actor DID NOT... Nobody would walk around looking that Stoopid by choice....Also, Despite the HUGE amount of "Skinhead/Ska etc" music that was around in my area at the time of Supposed filming..(.and also wayyyy back in the late 1960's 1970's), I found it more of a Directors fantasy about what it was like back then....ohh so long ago....after he had read a few books...not actually "Lived" It...I could be wrong though....

For a REAL glimpse of UK fashion/Lifestyle at the time, I would suggest watching Re-runs of old "Family Fortunes" programmes, on the "Living" channel, or whatever.....
I don't really know if the director/writer is trying to acheive a "Fun" look at those times, in a sort of "Shameless" ( see what I did there???!!) attempt at humour, but it just left me cold and uninterested in any further "Plot" developements
I was too busy actually going to see the Smiths in the 80's, ( ...and surviving because of it....stories posted elsewhere...)not just featuring them as part of a soundtrack.
For a REAL taste of the 80's....seek out "Letter to Brehznev"...It too, had its "Wonky" moments, but it was more REAL to me....at the time....

OOh look...here comes Nurse with me Cocoa and slippers......

Who gives a shit if they used that song. Shane should of left the film and not sold out...then again I couldn't be bothered to watch it

Who gives a shit if they used that song. Shane should of left the film and not sold out...then again I couldn't be bothered to watch it
:thumb:

Those rascals on those crap bikes were suppose to be Casuals.

Looks like Woody & Lol have become Scooter Boys. Milky is still in his skinhead fashions.

Shaun is just a scruffy schoolboy. But at least now he has got those Doc Martins that he always wanted! :)

It is a fairly 'romantic' view of the times and fashions really. The majority of Skinheads & mods at school (i knew) became Casuals.

If you are looking for a huge The Smiths back ground musical theme for this show then you're be disappointed.

The majority of the blokes in this show would think of Morrissey as some sort of poofter throwing flowers about.

yes the ads were a pain, was a bit of a dissapointment for me , very very slow- couldnt work out why wots his name was a clone of the dwarf son in rab c nesbitt, the casuals were wearing shell suits instead of borge elite trainers and bleached jeans or why shauns mum had aged 20 years in 3? think meadows is a bit wide of the mark with this, shame cos the film was spot on.

I saw it as well, and as much as I enjoyed and laughed at bits of it, I couldn't see how the Smiths' music fitted in with the cast, or am I missing the point and the music is just a backdrop to denote 1986? Being 16 in that very year, I seem to remember it was people like the common characters in this drama that would usually torment and beat up Smiths fans, including me and my friend at the time, for being alternative and dressing differently. I think the backing track should have been Stock, Aitken
and Waterman:lbf:

well. I disagree with above quote about Smiths fans being picked on by people like the charcters.
prats and wimps and people trying too hard may have been picked on but it wasnt to do with The Smiths.
The Smiths, along with echo and the bunnymen and joy dividion and the jam were Faves among casuals and the perry boys and I have meet a few prison toughs who like smiths and morrissey.

Shane meadows very much lived life and you can tell that by the films he makes.

Back
Top Bottom