This is England '86 features "Never Had No One Ever"

well. I disagree with above quote about Smiths fans being picked on by people like the charcters.
prats and wimps and people trying too hard may have been picked on but it wasnt to do with The Smiths.
The Smiths, along with echo and the bunnymen and joy dividion and the jam were Faves among casuals and the perry boys and I have meet a few prison toughs who like smiths and morrissey.

Shane meadows very much lived life and you can tell that by the films he makes.

It's only a tv drama, so it's bound to be romanticized and back-fitted to some degree, but there was a definite divide in the dress and type of people that frequented the Manchester alternative club scene in the mid-late 80's when I was there every week at Devilles, The Bansee, Venue etc, and I don't recall seeing many of these sort of characters there. Perhaps it was different in other places, I speak only from my own experience.
I'd say definitely after the Stone Roses, Mondays Madchester thing started to happen around the Hacienda and all the scally ecstacy crowd came onto the scene, that's probably when the crowds started to change. especially when the Hacienda closed down through gang and drug troubles it dispersed the crowds amongst the other nearby alternative clubs which was noticeable, but that was around 89 or later if I remember. I can recall going to Jilly's around then and seeing groups of drunken kids in tracksuits fighting and getting slung out for all sorts of stuff which I'd never seen there before. Good job I was pissed for most of it:thumb:

I was in Morrisons last night and noticed that the blu ray for This Is England was only £5. They only had two left mind.

I was quite dissapointed with the first episode of the TV series, mainly because I found it boring. I've heard that, depending on the sucess of this series, the plan in to do 'This Is Engand 90' set in Manchester.

I was in Morrisons last night and noticed that the blu ray for This Is England was only £5. They only had two left mind.

I was quite dissapointed with the first episode of the TV series, mainly because I found it boring. I've heard that, depending on the sucess of this series, the plan in to do 'This Is Engand 90' set in Manchester.

'Shameless' is more or less 'This is England' set in Manchester.

It's only a tv drama, so it's bound to be romanticized and back-fitted to some degree, but there was a definite divide in the dress and type of people that frequented the Manchester alternative club scene in the mid-late 80's when I was there every week at Devilles, The Bansee, Venue etc, and I don't recall seeing many of these sort of characters there. Perhaps it was different in other places, I speak only from my own experience.
I'd say definitely after the Stone Roses, Mondays Madchester thing started to happen around the Hacienda and all the scally ecstacy crowd came onto the scene, that's probably when the crowds started to change. especially when the Hacienda closed down through gang and drug troubles it dispersed the crowds amongst the other nearby alternative clubs which was noticeable, but that was around 89 or later if I remember. I can recall going to Jilly's around then and seeing groups of drunken kids in tracksuits fighting and getting slung out for all sorts of stuff which I'd never seen there before. Good job I was pissed for most of it:thumb:

Your right about the scally thing. Before that it was more tribal, and I think that 'This is England' is trying to capture this. I think that what became known as 'Madchester' played a part in changing the scenery in the UK as far as Youth Culture was concerned. The 'Tribes' seemed to vanish and everyone suddenly looked the same - and all the worse for it. To me that hasn't changed, but perhaps thats just me being old?

'Shameless' is more or less 'This is England' set in Manchester.

I've only ever seen one episode of Shameless. I spent Christmas at my sister-in-laws one year and lost control of the remote ;)

Hi Reggie, and Kewpie...
Yup, the Ad breaks wre extremely annoying...
I would totally agree with the S.A.W. soundtrack too....

...I just personally found it Laughably stupid that a Gang of Lads would be riding around in Track-suits, on small Motorcycles, and still bullying a kid....never happened in my lifetime ( and I was born in Edge Hill/Toxteth, UK.).
We had a few "Mods" but they never had a scooter between 'em, either....
There were hardly any "Skinheads" in my area, in the mid '80's...But the lad with the "Cramps" T-shirt looked about right for the time....The goonish Haircut on the main lead actor DID NOT... Nobody would walk around looking that Stoopid by choice....Also, Despite the HUGE amount of "Skinhead/Ska etc" music that was around in my area at the time of Supposed filming..(.and also wayyyy back in the late 1960's 1970's), I found it more of a Directors fantasy about what it was like back then....ohh so long ago....after he had read a few books...not actually "Lived" It...I could be wrong though....

For a REAL glimpse of UK fashion/Lifestyle at the time, I would suggest watching Re-runs of old "Family Fortunes" programmes, on the "Living" channel, or whatever.....
I don't really know if the director/writer is trying to acheive a "Fun" look at those times, in a sort of "Shameless" ( see what I did there???!!) attempt at humour, but it just left me cold and uninterested in any further "Plot" developements
I was too busy actually going to see the Smiths in the 80's, ( ...and surviving because of it....stories posted elsewhere...)not just featuring them as part of a soundtrack.
For a REAL taste of the 80's....seek out "Letter to Brehznev"...It too, had its "Wonky" moments, but it was more REAL to me....at the time....

OOh look...here comes Nurse with me Cocoa and slippers......

Oh yes I agree Letter to Brehznev was great - if only because I had a mad crush on Brookside's Alexandra Pigg:horny:
Obviously that was set in the time it was filmed - I too was a bit disappointed with This is England 86, but I am hoping it was just setting the scene for the next three and the pace will pick up. I heard Ian Brown plays a copper in the second episode.

As for those complaining about the adverts..... well...yes...you never seen Channel 4 (or other non BBC programmes)? They, er, have adverts:rolleyes:

Oh yes I agree Letter to Brehznev was great - if only because I had a mad crush on Brookside's Alexandra Pigg:horny:
Obviously that was set in the time it was filmed - I too was a bit disappointed with This is England 86, but I am hoping it was just setting the scene for the next three and the pace will pick up. I heard Ian Brown plays a copper in the second episode.

As for those complaining about the adverts..... well...yes...you never seen Channel 4 (or other non BBC programmes)? They, er, have adverts:rolleyes:

The frequency of the ad breaks was a pain though? Clearly Channel 4 were making the most of this one. The programmes demographic is pretty easy to work out given the historical interest in our lives. The 40 something generation are the 'spenders' right now. I recall that there was no advert break between the programme before and This Is England 86. I'm assuming this was a way to increase the amount of time they had to sell adverts while it was on?

To prove my point I'm going into town in a bit to buy myself something nice... then another...and another ;)

This made me
giggle

I am happy it made you giggle, as from what I hear you dont have much to be happy about.
What I meant by the comment was Shane was very much involved in the youth cult he is writing about.
He is writing about life outside a hip city.
I am not saying its the best drama in the world but it is better than most of the dross on British
telly.

I am happy it made you giggle, as from what I hear you dont have much to be happy about.
What I meant by the comment was Shane was very much involved in the youth cult he is writing about.
He is writing about life outside a hip city.
I am not saying its the best drama in the world but it is better than most of the dross on British
telly.

You vulgar charlatan! You know nothing about me sir. Was the show any good?

Dross....very good. Love that. It shall be my word of the day! Dross dross dross dross

Murder & Desire makes a valid point. Outside of London, Manchester & Liverpool, it can take a hell of a long time for other cities/towns to catch onto happening trends. Believe me, in my home town the mullet and shell suits are only just being worn:lbf:

I can remember Manchester's Perry Boys at Rhyl Fair in the early 1980s and the locals looked at them with gormless bemusement, as if they were aliens. Same when the ICF visited Wrexham attired in designer suits and the local hooligans ran back to the caves where they belonged.

At the end of the day tv is just entertainment, pure and simple. Not sure it is meant to be a sociological representation of time & place. Incidentally, just how gorgeous is Lol:horny:

Murder & Desire makes a valid point. Outside of London, Manchester & Liverpool, it can take a hell of a long time for other cities/towns to catch onto happening trends. Believe me, in my home town the mullet and shell suits are only just being worn:lbf:

I can remember Manchester's Perry Boys at Rhyl Fair in the early 1980s and the locals looked at them with gormless bemusement, as if they were aliens. Same when the ICF visited Wrexham attired in designer suits and the local hooligans ran back to the caves where they belonged.

At the end of the day tv is just entertainment, pure and simple. Not sure it is meant to be a sociological representation of time & place. Incidentally, just how gorgeous is Lol:horny:

Oh don't big him up...he'd only be desired if he really were murdered.

Back
Top Bottom