"This Charming Man" played live by Johnny Marr - 9th Dec. London

Yeah it's not exactly the hardest song or riff to play. It's super catchy and inventive etc and it wows me a sit probably does many that he wrote it so young but plenty of people can play it well as can be seen all over YouTube

I find it unlikely that boz or Jesse can't play it and that this is the reason for the power chord version

INSIGHTFUL :thumb:

I would never ever ever think of defending Jesse...ever...but one has to think if that is the way the song is played live, then that is exactly the way Morrissey wanted it played. For the most part, Morrissey has always gone for “harder” renditions of Smiths songs...especially before he had a keyboardist. Who else remembers the 2002 version of ‘Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want’?

:thumb: Exactly.

I loved seeing Johnny play, but I'll just say that it was incredibly scripted, down to the same banter between songs including "this is the happiest I've been all day!" By contrast, Morrissey is liable to say whatever comes to his mind in the moment during shows, which can make for some great moments as well as some awkward ones.

Interesting. :thumb:

It looks like KS has decided to rate all of my comments as Troll. Very mature as though 2 can't play at that. Don't bother responding, I have you blocked so I won't see it anyway.

Very interesting and surprisingly good vocals from Johnny Marr, but he's never gonna topple Morrissey, on vocals or style, theirs something about Morrissey walking up to the mic that nobody can impersonate, I love when Morrissey walks out at a gig, still makes me tingle now, nobody can replace that.

is DramaJohny the figure with the black dot on his head 'singing(lol) in a foreign language?.:straightface:

another musical catastrophe courtesy of DramaJohnny Inc.:lbf:

Just great. Pacy and dazzling, with surprisingly good vocals. Interesting how Johnny is now feeling confident enough to put his guitar down. Looks like he is trying to prove a point.

I think if he REALLY wanted to prove a point he'd play what many guitarist say is the hardest Smiths song to play AND sing the vocals at the same time. That point being, "I can sing all your songs and play my crazy guitar parts."

I'm not surprised he didn't do both. It would be quite a challenge. I don't know a lot of musicians besides Geddy Lee from Rush who will play insanely difficult parts (bass) and sing at the same time. I'm sure there are others but it just isn't common.

On the flip side, it is the best vocal performance from him I've ever seen (and it was a very good one). He usually keeps things pretty mono-tone even when doing Smiths songs such as Bigmouth Strikes Again. Clearly all the singing he has been doing over the past few years is raising skill level.

Perhaps someday he will in fact do them both, it wouldn't surprise me.

Johnny was doing a bit on every (?) night of this tour where he would pretend to take requests from the audience, then play a bit of Fly Like an Eagle and then say something like "actually it's funny I can play that song but I can't play 'This Charming Man'..." and then suddenly play two seconds of This Charming Man with the crowd going crazy, only to stop and say "that's all you get!"

So it's nice to see that he finally did the whole song on the last night.

I loved seeing Johnny play, but I'll just say that it was incredibly scripted, down to the same banter between songs including "this is the happiest I've been all day!" By contrast, Morrissey is liable to say whatever comes to his mind in the moment during shows, which can make for some great moments as well as some awkward ones.

In contrast to Moz, Johnny Marr and band played 52 shows in a row with no cancellations! If he has bits that work and the audience responds to, what's wrong with that? That's entertainment!

Very interesting and surprisingly good vocals from Johnny Marr, but he's never gonna topple Morrissey, on vocals or style, theirs something about Morrissey walking up to the mic that nobody can impersonate, I love when Morrissey walks out at a gig, still makes me tingle now, nobody can replace that.

RIGHT ON :thumb:

Where would I take it?

It amazes me, why in hell do people want to
hear a cover of a song sound the same as the original? especially in this case when the vocalist is the same. I find it sad that the other
Smith covers Morrissey has been doing don’t
sound different enough, that’s the tragedy.

MAKE IT NEW !

Isn’t that why we like the music we do in the first place?

:cool:

I dunno.. I want them to sound like the songs I fell in love with. If they are a bit different because they are better that's great but when It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small is turned from a cool rocker with a fun riff to play and a great rhyming structure that plays out where the last word of verse 1 rhymes with the last word of verses 2 and 3 into some flat, boring turd of a song that makes me long for "To Give (The Reason I Live) I say "No thanks!" to "new" even if there is an equally shitty demo of said song giving one the ability to say "It's not really new".

Just great. Pacy and dazzling, with surprisingly good vocals. Interesting how Johnny is now feeling confident enough to put his guitar down. Looks like he is trying to prove a point.

He doesn't put the guitar down because he's feeling confident - it's simply because he can't sing it and play the lead guitar line at the same time, yer flipping great clown.

That. Was. Terrible.

I dunno.. I want them to sound like the songs I fell in love with. If they are a bit different because they are better that's great but when It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small is turned from a cool rocker with a fun riff to play and a great rhyming structure that plays out where the last word of verse 1 rhymes with the last word of verses 2 and 3 into some flat, boring turd of a song that makes me long for "To Give (The Reason I Live) I say "No thanks!" to "new" even if there is an equally shitty demo of said song giving one the ability to say "It's not really new".

Yeah, it takes all sorts, don’t it? Some like nostalgia acts some don’t.

Maybe some have misread that post, so when I said ‘ Make it new, isn’t that why we like the music we do in the first place?’ I meant, for example, the first time we all heard the Smiths
didn’t it sound fresh and new and original to us?

Which was why I said that I was a little disappointed that the other Smiths songs Morrissey has decided to do sound closer to the original so yes enjoyable but would be more exciting/interesting if he changed them like what he did with Charming Man.

People don’t get it,they try to blame Jesse for the new version of Charming Man when they in fact should be blaming Morrissey ! :lbf:

Actually they should be thanking Morrissey
for not giving them what they predictably want !

Never a dull moment in MOZ land. :thumb:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom