"This Charming Man" played live by Johnny Marr - 9th Dec. London

Where would I take it?

It amazes me, why in hell do people want to
here a cover of a song sound the same as the original? especially in this case when the vocalist is the same. I find it sad that the other
Smith covers Morrissey has been doing don’t
sound different enough, that’s the tragedy.

MAKE IT NEW !

Isn’t that why we like the music we do in the first place?

:cool:

I think when you make a radical change like Fine Young Cannibals did with Buzzcocks Ever Fallen In Love, it works. When you basically play the same song with chords because you simply can't replicate the fretboard intricacy that Marr is capable of, it doesn't. But that's just my opinion.

I think when you make a radical change like Fine Young Cannibals did with Buzzcocks Ever Fallen In Love, it works. When you basically play the same song with chords because you simply can't replicate the fretboard intricacy that Marr is capable of, it doesn't. But that's just my opinion.

I would never ever ever think of defending Jesse...ever...but one has to think if that is the way the song is played live, then that is exactly the way Morrissey wanted it played. For the most part, Morrissey has always gone for “harder” renditions of Smiths songs...especially before he had a keyboardist. Who else remembers the 2002 version of ‘Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want’?

There was an American band who covered TCM in the same style that the Morrissey band does some time before Morrissey. He heard it and obviously asked his band to play it that way. William, conversely, is done in the style of the original. The lead guitar line in TCM is not actually that hard to play. To imply that the band were actually trying to play it like the original and it ended up sounding as it does, suggests you are not very knowledgeable about guitar playing?

Johnny was doing a bit on every (?) night of this tour where he would pretend to take requests from the audience, then play a bit of Fly Like an Eagle and then say something like "actually it's funny I can play that song but I can't play 'This Charming Man'..." and then suddenly play two seconds of This Charming Man with the crowd going crazy, only to stop and say "that's all you get!"

So it's nice to see that he finally did the whole song on the last night.

I loved seeing Johnny play, but I'll just say that it was incredibly scripted, down to the same banter between songs including "this is the happiest I've been all day!" By contrast, Morrissey is liable to say whatever comes to his mind in the moment during shows, which can make for some great moments as well as some awkward ones.

Johnny was doing a bit on every (?) night of this tour where he would pretend to take requests from the audience, then play a bit of Fly Like an Eagle and then say something like "actually it's funny I can play that song but I can't play 'This Charming Man'..." and then suddenly play two seconds of This Charming Man with the crowd going crazy, only to stop and say "that's all you get!"

So it's nice to see that he finally did the whole song on the last night.

Too bad he didn’t actually play it himself.

Just great. Pacy and dazzling, with surprisingly good vocals. Interesting how Johnny is now feeling confident enough to put his guitar down. Looks like he is trying to prove a point.
Now if he'd just drop the mike too.
:rock:
Only joking. Well kind of. I just don't dig his singing voice.

You’re right Jesse doesn’t play it well. He plays it great, putting his own touch on it, making it shine again, making it his OWN.

I assume you’re joking.

That chug-a-chug pub band version Morrissey’s band were playing a decade or so ago was truly abysmal. I recall being excited to see him perform it on The Jonathan Ross show but was instantly disappointed. Marr’s Riff is the back bone of that song, as well as the spring in it's step. Without it, it’s not half the era-defining song that the original is.

Hands down, the worst Morrissey cover of a Smiths song.

Yeah, he proved again... he’s no frontman vocalist. Passable, but NO MAGIC.

Maybe not magic, but as someone who pays little to no attention to Marr’s Solo career, I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well he sang this song. Really very good, considering he’s been predominantly a guitarist for his 35+ year music career.

I’ve always been firmly in the Moz camp, but overall, his is a much better version of this particular song than the turgid attempt by Mozzer & his band.

Exactly!

That was also my impression: they’re just busking through the chords as they’re simply not capable of replicating Marr’s original riff.

Why cant Morrissey and Marr set aside differences for one for the fans?
I would fall to the floor like a Pentecost praising the lord.

Amazing!! and Doviak just nails the song!

I saw JM play live last month, by the way, and he was incredible!

Here's the full gig:

Last edited:
There was an American band who covered TCM in the same style that the Morrissey band does some time before Morrissey. He heard it and obviously asked his band to play it that way. William, conversely, is done in the style of the original. The lead guitar line in TCM is not actually that hard to play. To imply that the band were actually trying to play it like the original and it ended up sounding as it does, suggests you are not very knowledgeable about guitar playing?

Yeah it's not exactly the hardest song or riff to play. It's super catchy and inventive etc and it wows me a sit probably does many that he wrote it so young but plenty of people can play it well as can be seen all over YouTube

I find it unlikely that boz or Jesse can't play it and that this is the reason for the power chord version

MAKE IT NEW !

Isn’t that why we like the music we do in the first place?

:cool:

Is it? Is THAT why we like it?

Not for me K-hole. The riff in that song is iconic. Anybody who would try to put their own “spin” on that riff simply can’t play it. You can switch out the vocal. THAT’S interchangeable. ...but the riff is the song.

Basic f***ing fact. Try to keep up.

When you basically play the same song with chords because you simply can't replicate the fretboard intricacy that Marr is capable of, it doesn't. But that's just my opinion.

Exactly!
That was also my impression: they’re just busking through the chords as they’re simply not capable of replicating Marr’s original riff.

This ......

[QUOTE="Anonymous

Yeah it's not exactly the hardest song or riff to play. It's super catchy and inventive etc and it wows me a sit probably does many that he wrote it so young but plenty of people can play it well as can be seen all over YouTube

I find it unlikely that boz or Jesse can't play it and that this is the reason for the power chord version.

Thanks. Please don't let me interrupt your anti-Johnny agenda.

Whatever. You missed my point completely.

1. I don’t care for the reasons. On a Morrissey site there has been plenty of anti-Jesse agenda opinions posted. So there needs to be some balance.

2. Jesse and Boz may not be the best guitarists
but with a little practice they could of if they wanted to can play Charming Man close enough to Marr.

3. MORRISSEY IS BOSS, HIS WORD IS LAW,
when it comes to what and how songs are played.

People need to get a f**king clue, especially anon trolls that don’t know shit.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom