This Charming Man - Butchered

I thought it was kind of interesting -- had a thumping, Lust for Life feel to it. Morrissey vocals are impeccable. The problem is Jesse is already too sludgy to go there. If you started with a guitarist who had more finesse and told them to rock out it'd probably work better.

Still, doing a punk version is not a bad thing in and of itself. It'll probably get honed into something better over the tour.

EDIT: Oh, and they should retain the original intro as is before going punk.

I downloaded the entire concert here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U7MOHBC0

I listened to it - thank you.

My first impression was that it sounded like Morrissey's band doing a cover version of (musically) of Death Cab for Cutie's cover of the Smiths "This Charming Man."

On second listen upon comparison to the 85' Barrowlands show, of excellent quality I may add, it is not that far off from what was played there aside from the intro.

It DOES appear to be restructured to allow for Morrissey's range. That is nothing new as many aging stars have been doing that lately. The Police, Billy Joel and even the Stones come to mind.

Overall... I like it. I like what he did last year with Still Ill, and I like this version as well.

I listened to it - thank you.

My first impression was that it sounded like Morrissey's band doing a cover version of (musically) of Death Cab for Cutie's cover of the Smiths "This Charming Man."

On second listen upon comparison to the 85' Barrowlands show, of excellent quality I may add, it is not that far off from what was played there aside from the intro.

It DOES appear to be restructured to allow for Morrissey's range. That is nothing new as many aging stars have been doing that lately. The Police, Billy Joel and even the Stones come to mind.

Overall... I like it. I like what he did last year with Still Ill, and I like this version as well.

I have to agree that Still Ill was beautiful.

I must say that I'm glad that they didn't try to recreate the original version, because that would have been a futile attempt. They tried a different approach instead, and I think it was quite refreshing and surprising. It probably wouldn't have worked as a studio recording, but it worked very well in the context of the show.

Sorry - I just don't understand the point of it all. The Smiths were a band made up of a really tight rythym section, a young guitar genius and a totally unique frontman.

Morrissey's current band would struggle to win a "Battle of the Bands" contest down your local boozer, so it's beyond me why they would play a cover version of one of the most iconic pop records of the last 30 years.....they can only possibly make it worse, and I don't want to hear that!

Morrissey has two blindingly obvious choices for his live shows - draw from his huge catalogue of solo stuff, most of which is pretty good, some fantastic, or go the whole hog and reform The Smiths and let us hear the great songs played properly.

Smiths songs and the current band just do not go together!

It wasn't brilliant. It had a certain end of the pier quality about it.

However as per the Refusal album (and title) the live gigs are going to be a whole more Your Arsenal/ Southpaw Grammar vibe. Raucuous. (hence the choice of 2 songs from that LP PLUS the reissue!!!! Marketing Moz) and thus the decision to not try to replicate the guitar?

Maybe after the butchering that the Headmaster Ritual was given in 2004 (and Boz Boorer admits to it being a very difficult piece to play) that Morrissey thinks its better to put a new spin on a (very) old thing.

Well we'll see tonight.

It wasn't brilliant. It had a certain end of the pier quality about it.
However as per the Refusal album (and title) the live gigs are going to be a whole more Your Arsenal/ Southpaw Grammar vibe. Raucuous. (hence the choice of 2 songs from that LP PLUS the reissue!!!! Marketing Moz) and thus the decision to not try to replicate the guitar?

Maybe after the butchering that the Headmaster Ritual was given in 2004 (and Boz Boorer admits to it being a very difficult piece to play) that Morrissey thinks its better to put a new spin on a (very) old thing.

Well we'll see tonight.

Should go down well in Great Yarmouth then?

Confirmation that Jesse cannot play guitar, only chug out a few bar chords.

Long live Johnny Marr

It's an old Moz song... done in the new Moz style. CLEARLY Moz has instructed the band to play it in a more punk-garage style. And it works.

Long live Johnny Marr? Unfortunately, Johnny Marr stopped being Johnny Marr in 1987. Haven't heard one chord of his, er, "solo" output that compares with anything he did before or the incredible body of work Moz has produced since.

It's an old Moz song... done in the new Moz style. CLEARLY Moz has instructed the band to play it in a more punk-garage style. And it works.

Long live Johnny Marr? Unfortunately, Johnny Marr stopped being Johnny Marr in 1987. Haven't heard one chord of his, er, "solo" output that compares with anything he did before or the incredible body of work Moz has produced since.

Well, let's face it, the man who wrote YoR sadly isn't the same man who wrote "Why pamper life's complexities / When the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?"

If the Moz of 1985 could hear THPGU, he'd bury his head in his hands.

Well, let's face it, the man who wrote YoR sadly isn't the same man who wrote "Why pamper life's complexities / When the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?"

As the man himself has said, it would be most distressing if he was still the same person he was 20 years ago.

Bollocks. Do you not think The Smiths had any average/below par songs?

Actually, he IS the same man. Really. Look him up on Wikipedia.

If the Moz of 1985 could hear Kill Uncle, he'd bury his head in his hands.

If the Moz of 1985 could hear Years of Refusal, he'd be overjoyed.

Last edited:
Tags
better than the original bicycle still punctured buy a new blouse emotard crap original > new version split decision
Back
Top Bottom